1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

3rd ROUND SLEEPERS (who are they?)

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by cowboyuptx, Apr 20, 2006.

1. cowboyuptx

cowboyuptx Member

393 Messages
    18 Likes Received
    IMO this years draft is a little deeper than last years. The value in this draft, is all in the late 2nd, 3rd, and 4th Rounds. I think it would be a good idea to try and get an extra 3rd.

Here's my 3 favorite sleepers.

1. Cedric Griffin (FS/CB) Texas - Fellow Longhorn Michael Huff will be a top 10 pick..... I watched Griffin play quite a bit at UT, there's not that large of gap between him and Huff. Also, former teammate Nathan Vasher was selected in the 5th round of 2004 and Chicago couldn't have made a better choice. Ced got into a little trouble his Sr. year, this is one of the reasons he may still be there in the 3rd. I want Griffin!

2. Devin Hester (DB, PR, KR, WR) Miami - For those who are so high on Cromartie..... this dude's just as good of an athlete and he'll probably be there for the taking in the 3rd. I'd take him! A threat everytime he has the ball and he oozes upside.

3. Rodrique Wright (DT) Texas - I really dont see why Rod is being projected as a late 2nd or early 3rd round prospect. From what I've seen, he'll be a good NFL player. No doubt he'd be a steal in the 3rd!

So who are your 3rd round sleepers?
  2. Muhast

Muhast Newo

7,514 Messages
    217 Likes Received
    4. Maurice Stovall (Wr) Notre Dame- 6'5 and pretty decent speed.. Think Keyshawn minus the mouth
  3. dbair1967

dbair1967 Arch Defender

30,783 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    and minus the hands

David
  4. dbair1967

dbair1967 Arch Defender

30,783 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    this kid is one of the most overrated, overhyped college football players ever...he was terrible last yr...he cant play any positions on the field, and despite being such a great return guy was actually BENCHED from that as well for a time last yr

he is nothing like Cromartie, who was a tremendous CB before blowing out his knee...Cromartie has tremendous physical talent PLUS skill for a position, Hester has no skill for any position

David
  5. Muhast

Muhast Newo

7,514 Messages
    217 Likes Received
    5. Omar Jacobs (QB) Bowling Green- Think Mcnabb. Something like that. Anyways, he would be a first rounder had to chose to stay for his senior year, he is still raw, and would need a season or 2 of being groomed, but thats wat Bledsoe can do, and he is more talented than Romo IMO
  6. cowboyuptx

cowboyuptx Member

393 Messages
    18 Likes Received
    My WR sleepers would be, Greg Jennings - Western Michigan OR Derek Hagan - Arizona State.
  7. CrazyCowboy

CrazyCowboy Well-Known Member

32,189 Messages
    169 Likes Received
    Glad you mentioned this WR.......who better to replace Key then Stov?
  8. dbair1967

dbair1967 Arch Defender

30,783 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    he looked pretty awful last yr and plays in a nintendo offense...I doubt he is selected on the first day (in fact I will bet on it) and I know I wouldnt use our 3rd pick on him

David
  9. StanleySpadowski

StanleySpadowski Active Member

4,815 Messages
    0 Likes Received

That would be tremendous backup CB.

Hester is exactly like Cromartie in that neither were good enough to start as college football players but the hype machine has built their draft stock way too high.
  10. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,375 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    B. Oshinowo from Stanford to rotate with Fergy at NT is a possible candidate in the 3rd. I think he'd be decent value there.
  11. dbair1967

dbair1967 Arch Defender

30,783 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    if he makes it that far, good call IMO...he does seem to be an ideal NT

David
  12. the_h0wey

the_h0wey Well-Known Member

1,094 Messages
    120 Likes Received
    Minus the hands? I have watched almost every Notre Dame football game that Maurice Stovall ever played in, and he has soft hands and can make acrobatic catches look very routine
  13. Cowboy Junkie

Cowboy Junkie leonargized

2,512 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Andrew Whitworth.(OT) (LSU)
    I think this guy would be a steal if he made it to round 3
  14. Murph80

Murph80 Member

974 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Stovall does not have very good hands at all I live in the mid west and see plenty of ND games. I also was a WR in college. Stovall was horrible his junior year but did have a better senior year thanks to the system. If Stovall had hands he would be a #1 pick. He has size and some speed but drops some balls.
  15. the_h0wey

the_h0wey Well-Known Member

1,094 Messages
    120 Likes Received

Stovall's Senior season stats were...60 catches for 1,023 yards (17-yard average) and 11 touchdowns. Not too shabby if you ask me. You are right that he "drops some balls." And that was the big question about Stovall following his Junior year, but all you have to do is look at his stats and you can see he had a great senior year. Any young WR will drop a pass every now and then... We are talking about 3rd round sleepers, and I think Stovall would be a great pick up if he were there.
  16. silverbear

silverbear Semi-Official Loose Cannon

24,188 Messages
    0 Likes Received

Brad Smith, WR (QB), Missouri
    Chris Gocong, DE/OLB, Cal Poly-SLO
    Darrell Hunter, DB, Miami-Ohio
    Brandon Guillory, DE/OLB, Louisiana-Monroe
    Brent Hawkins, DE/OLB, Illinois St.

A few weeks ago, I would have included Danieal Manning, DB, Abilene Christian, but now he might wind up going in the second round... anyway, there's some nice "tweeners" in that list, guys who have had great success rushing the passer in college...
  17. Clove

Clove Shrinkage

40,369 Messages
    2,145 Likes Received
    WR Derek Hagan will be a steal in the 3rd round, and Chris Gocong should be a 2nd rounder with the stats he put up, plus the combine numbers.
  18. NYCowboy22

NYCowboy22 Member

632 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Greg Jennings
    Brandon Marshall

Both recievers, both would be good picks in the 3rd IMO.
  19. Sitting Bull

Sitting Bull Active Member

1,433 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    My third round sleeper is in my sig. Kevin Boothe, 6'4, 315 OL from Cornell. He played guard and both tackles in college and has the type of versatility Parcells' craves, matched with top intangibles. Some draft experts don't even have Boothe listed as a Top 10 Guard. Hogwash. He'll go in the third round, hopefully to us.

http://www.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/uwire/041306aat.html
  20. Cornish83

Cornish83 Member

63 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Ihave also watched every notre dame game and I agree that stovall has no hands. He was a dissapointment at ND until his senior year where he still dropped some easy catches. But Id take him with a third...

Weis made stovall a better player. Maybe BP can motivate stovall like weis did.