1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

4-3 will be disaster if Lee and Carter don't do well

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by JoeyBoy718, Jan 11, 2013.

1. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

4,033 Messages
    453 Likes Received
    What in the world??? May Sean Lee and Bruce Carter could play in ANY scheme... Those two will be the least of my concern in a new 4-3 system.
  2. Bowdown27

Bowdown27 Well-Known Member

2,532 Messages
    193 Likes Received
    I always liked the 4-3 better and think lee and carter would flourish in that system.
  3. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

20,815 Messages
    7,195 Likes Received
    Yeah, I don't get the point. What defense wouldn't be bad if their best players struggle in it?
  4. TheFinisher

TheFinisher Well-Known Member

2,414 Messages
    566 Likes Received
    No problem. :)
  5. StanleySpadowski

StanleySpadowski Active Member

4,815 Messages
    0 Likes Received

How can you say that deep zone responsibility isn't in Lee's skillset when that's what he excelled at in college as he played primarily in a Cover-2 throughout his career.
  6. Marktui

Marktui Active Member

1,198 Messages
    12 Likes Received

I think that we will not run a true cover two scheme. Carr and Mo are not strong zone corners. Although we may use it at times, I believe Kiffin would try and tailor it for now with what is here.

It's also not a given that Lee would be the mike. Brooks made a lot of plays being the will, which could be Lee's position. Carter is the more physical player so he would be better suited to be the mike. Either way with the extra down d lineman neither Lee or Carter will be asked to take on guards all the time.

Does this make Rat the under 3 technique whose responsible for penetrating and chasing down plays?
  7. CowboysFaninDC

CowboysFaninDC Well-Known Member

2,864 Messages
    130 Likes Received
    my concern is not those 2. I think Lee will be fine as most of his responsibilities will be the same. Carter should be fine as WLB, and may infact get more opportunities to get to the QB as a blitzer. he is not a good fit for SOLB spot. that's my concern. the other option, if they don't feel they have their guy at SOLB spot is they may move Carter to that spot, and he would be good covering the TEs from there, but would he hold up against the run. then Butler might be the WLB candidate.

the problem is now, we lose a whole year and some draft picks that don't fit. what do you do with Wilbur? and we don't have enough DL men. having spencer and ware on the line, who would be considered light, would make our run defense vunerable.

spencer is also light as a DE if that's thought of where they might fit him. he is good against the run as a OLB in 3-4, but as DE he will probably struggle a bit.

and its a lot harder to find 4-3 DEs that can rush the passer than 3-4 OLBs that can rush
  8. TheCoolFan

TheCoolFan Well-Known Member

7,098 Messages
    220 Likes Received
    It's not like it's such a drastic change for these guys! Most LBs play 4-3 their entire careers, including high school and college. It's only when they get to certain college teams or the NFL that they have to make an adjustment to a 3-4
  9. TheFinisher

2,414 Messages
    566 Likes Received
    Cover-2 and Tampa 2 are much different from a MLB standpoint.

In a pure cover-2, your safeties are responsible for splitting half the field. A true 2-deep look. The Mike has the underneath middle but will pass off vertical routes to the safties.

In a Tampa-2, which Lee has not been in, it's more of a 3-Deep coverage. Those safeties still split the field, but are shaded towards the boundary to protect better against those vertical routes near the sideline. To make up for the safeties being shaded and to protect the middle of the field, the Mike's zone is expanded deeper. He is now the main defender against those inside vertical routes from slot receivers or TEs.

It's hard to explain over a messageboard, wish there was some kind of virtual chalkboard lol, but bottom line is you want the better athlete playing Mike. He has to be able to move, flip his hips, track the ball and break on it like a Safety.
  10. TheFinisher

2,414 Messages
    566 Likes Received
    Carr and Mo can play in the cover 2, and be pretty damn good at it. We can still utilize their press skills with press bail techniques, but having them play off the ball will increase the likelihood of turnovers... reading the QB and making plays on the ball were 2 of Mo's strongest assests as a prospect. And Carr is a big physical corner who played in a LOT of press bail cover 2 in KC under Romeo Crennel, he will fit in just fine as a strong side guy who helps support the run.
  11. perrykemp

perrykemp Well-Known Member

5,430 Messages
    1,333 Likes Received
    eg -- that's why Urlacher, a converted college safety, has had a Hall-of-Fame playing that position in Lovie Smith's version of the Tampa 2.
  12. StanleySpadowski

4,815 Messages
    0 Likes Received

During his stay there, Penn State played a variant of the Cover-2 that was closer to a Tampa-2 style than it was a pure Cover-2. There were some differences but numerous times Lee had deep third responsibility. Bradley would make slight changes every year based on personnel.

As I said, I believe Lee was more effective at OLB than MLB but that's irrelevant to whether he could be effective at MLB in the NFL.

But to even suggest that any team would play a pure version of a defense in this day and age in the NFL is short-sighted at best. Even during Tampa's SB run, they played a pure Tampa-2 less than 75% of the time and their best athlete at LB was not playing MLB.
  13. justbob

justbob The Peacemaker Staff Member

6,808 Messages
    300 Likes Received
    So to make it more confusing to the offense do we have the two players who could switch back and forth during the game.?
  14. cowboyschmps3

cowboyschmps3 Well-Known Member

2,594 Messages
    138 Likes Received
    Will get better protected cause guards won't be coming after them as often
  15. TheFinisher

2,414 Messages
    566 Likes Received
    Yup. Most casual fans view Urlacher as this big tough run stopper who blows up ball carriers, but he's a potential HOFer because of what he did as a coverage LB. He's the posterboy for the Tampa 2.

Sure, and I would anticipate Monte sprinkling that in. The middle runner is typically the Mike but teams also change it up throughout the game for the reason you noted.
  16. StanleySpadowski

4,815 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Switching responsibilities rather than positions than yes.

The biggest problem with the Tampa-2 variant is the advent of the speed TE in today's NFL but luckily, Dallas has two LBs that can run with the Graham's of the world.
  17. justbob

justbob The Peacemaker Staff Member

6,808 Messages
    300 Likes Received
    Thanks --that is what I meant --switching responsibilities. Speed TE another reason to keep Sims around.