1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

4life's offseason

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by 4lifecowboy, Jan 15, 2012.

1. 4lifecowboy

4lifecowboy Active Member

834 Messages
    54 Likes Received
    Resign: Laurent Robinson, Marty Benett,

Free Agents: Carl Nicks (OG), Paul Soliai (NT), Jason Allen (CB), Laron Landry (SS), and Jason Campbell (QB)

Draft: 1) Vontaze Burfict (ILB)
    2) Ben Jones (C)
    3) Trumaine Johnson (CB)
    4) Shea McClellin (OLB)
    5) Matt Daniels (SS)
    6) Donte Paige-Moss (OLB)
    6) Terrence Frederick (CB)
    7) Jeff Allen (OT)
  2. JerryFan

JerryFan Active Member

1,243 Messages
    7 Likes Received
    I'm not sure why everybody is so up Burflicts jock. He's not very good and his strong suit is definitely not playing in space. I don't see him as a 1st rd pick at all and really wouldn't want the guy on my team. can you spell trouble? I can it goes like this. BURFLICT
  3. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

119,053 Messages
    2,972 Likes Received
    Burfict was a huge disappointment this year. Taking him at 14 would be as bad a move as taking Quincy Carter in the 2nd round was.
  4. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,514 Messages
    9,683 Likes Received
    Reading all these offseason plans I can only get the feeling people are going to be very disappointed with what we actually do.
  5. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

119,053 Messages
    2,972 Likes Received
    That is true regardless. We could make blockbuster moves and it would upset some. We could make smart, no big splash moves and it would upset some.

Until this team wins a Super Bowl everything we do is wrong.

BTW, I really wanted to respond on the GM thing, but I promised him I would leave his thread.
  6. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,623 Messages
    3,150 Likes Received
    Especially when it comes to signing other team's free agents.
  7. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,646 Messages
    1,479 Likes Received
    Nah certain areas of the team there is nowhere to go but up. Just hope if they create two new holes with Spencer and Marty, that is not all that gets refilled.
  8. Risen Star

22,514 Messages
    9,683 Likes Received
    The draft too.

I've learned long ago not to get fixated on a few players because you'll almost always walk away disappointed in our haul.

Most people preach BPA but their mocks usually look like a needs list. Happens every year. And then when we fail to meet those needs they'll immediately label it a failed class.
  9. Risen Star

22,514 Messages
    9,683 Likes Received
    Well I don't think the Cowboys really deserve any benefit of the doubt on personnel moves.

I try to keep an open mind about it and attempt to understand their thinking on why they're doing what they're doing.

But one thing I can't defend this offseason is inactivity. Not with this offensive line. We simply must address it in FA. You don't have to give me Nicks or Grubbs, but you can't sell me on the idea that the status quo will do better next year.
  10. 4lifecowboy

4lifecowboy Active Member

834 Messages
    54 Likes Received
    Granted reaching for him at 14 is a stretch, but I am tired of this defense not having "nasty" in their attitude, and Burflict would bring a little of that IMO. If i see another player help an opposing QB up after a sack, i'm gonna throw my remote at the screen. I am also not dillusional enough to think my opinion of how "I" would do the offseason has any bearings on reality. Just my thoughts on how the team could be upgraded.
  11. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,534 Messages
    1,799 Likes Received
    So we would have McLellin, Paige-Moss, or Butler starting opposite of Ware?

Don't like that one bit. Add signing Spencer and taking DeCastro at 14 instead of Burfict and I think we're onto something.
  12. Outlaw Heroes

Outlaw Heroes Well-Known Member

2,101 Messages
    132 Likes Received
    Hard to mock on the basis of BPA without mocking the picks for each team. Since what we're seeing at this early stage are merely mocks projecting the Cowboys' picks, it's to be expected that they'll look like needs lists.
  13. Outlaw Heroes

Outlaw Heroes Well-Known Member

2,101 Messages
    132 Likes Received
    I can imagine scenarios in which I'd be fine with the decision to not spend money on the interior OL in FA. If, for example, the team allocated its FA budget to Mathis and Carr, on the understanding that it would be targetting one or more interior OL in the draft, that would be a perfectly acceptable strategy in my view. Particularly given that the team went heavy on OL in the 2011 draft and we still haven't seen exactly what we have in Nagy and Arkin.

In any event, the real value in FA, in terms of fixing this OL is at the centre position. It's somewhat surprising that more people aren't advocating for spending money there, as opposed to at guard, given the glut of quality centres likely to be available (which will drive down the cost of obtaining a top notch centre) and the problems Costa had this year.