1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

5 To Know: Broaddus Takes A Look At Top Offensive Linemen

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by RS12, Feb 5, 2013.

1. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

13,800 Messages
    875 Likes Received
    Luke Joeckel , OT (6-6, 310), Texas A&M
    A Junior that was the starter at left tackle for the Aggies…majority of his work is out of a two point stance…nice set and base…ease of movement…gets to the edge quickly…plays with initial quickness…able to adjust on the twist…stays square…passes stunts…gets movement in the running game more through athletic ability than true power…more of a stalemate blocker…can easily get to outside in space on screens and tosses….second level blocker…will cut on the backside at times which surprises me because he is athletic enough to stay on his feet and work his head across…will punch and work to keep his hands in place but there are times where the defender is able to separate from him….Floyd of Florida was able to knock him off balance on a bull rush…did a much better job of sitting down on Montgomery of LSU…really tries to finish his blocks…best trait is his athletic ability, where he struggles is when he has to deal with a defender that plays with power.

Eric Fisher, OT (6-7, 305), Central Michigan
    Don’t let the school he attended throw you off base because he played well against some better competition in 2012 and did just fine…Is just as athletic as Joeckel of A&M….is very light on his feet…can mirror andlide with rusher…showed the ability to bend his knees and play with some flex…no problem adjusting to rusher…really does a nice job of playing with leverage…when he gets hooked up on his man, he stays that way…nice on second level…he sees the target and hits the target…nice body control…keeps in position…if he has an issue it is when he sets, he tends to carry his hands too low and not in the ready position to deliver a blow to stop the rushers charge…Baxter of Northern Illinois, Okafor of Texas and Jones of UCLA gave him some trouble because they were able to get on him quickly and it caused him to have to scramble to get his hands inside…right now plays with more strength than Joeckel.

Lane Johnson, OT (6-6, 302), Oklahoma
    In is the line of Joeckel of A&M and Fisher of Central Michigan in how smooth he plays…not much wasted movement or steps….played both left and right tackle in games I studied…is not the most powerful player but impressed how he is able to finish blocks…rarely do you see him on the ground or badly out of position…will at times set play with a wide base because he really doesn’t trust his strength…is going to struggle when he has to block a defender one-on-one straight up, but allow him to get on the edge to reach, can more than do the job…like Joeckel will struggle some when he gets bull rushed…Fields of TCU was a handful when this happened….no problem adjusting when a rusher tries to take him wide or to the inside, then the athletic ability takes over

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/a...Linemen-/27acb393-feca-4a29-ad84-16f96540ead7
  2. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,192 Messages
    275 Likes Received
    I would be happy with any of those 5
  3. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

40,942 Messages
    1,209 Likes Received
    I love Warmack for his power but have to admit concerns about his quickness.
    Love Cooper for his quickness but admit concerns about his power.

Interesting choice
  4. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

59,659 Messages
    2,678 Likes Received
    I agree...there is good and bad with both.

However I think if you break it down by value you go with Cooper due to his ability to possibly play center and OG.

With that said...I would take either and be happy.
  5. Oh_Canada

Oh_Canada Well-Known Member

5,716 Messages
    330 Likes Received
    Prefer Cooper as a talent, but hard to ignore Warmack's nastiness and how this team needs more nasty.

I think both will ultimately be very good NFL players.

Not sold on Johnson, I think he might end up having many of the same problems the former Cowboy RT had in the NFL.
  6. burmafrd

40,942 Messages
    1,209 Likes Received
    The Nasty part is something we have lacked since Eric Williams. Colombo was to some extent. No one else I can think of that gave us that kind of edge.
  7. Manwiththeplan

Manwiththeplan Well-Known Member

4,834 Messages
    191 Likes Received
    Leonard Davis was for like 2 seasons
  8. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,171 Messages
    1,291 Likes Received
    If we were using a Man Blocking Scheme, like we used to use, I would be all over Warmack. Since we are now using a Zone Blocking Scheme, I don't see any way Warmack could work for us. It would have to be a more mobile player.
  9. burmafrd

40,942 Messages
    1,209 Likes Received
    oh come on. No way. Attitude is nasty and he was not.
  10. Macnalty

Macnalty Active Member

925 Messages
    36 Likes Received
    that leads you down the path of Barrett Jones who should be tier 1 IMO.
  11. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,515 Messages
    463 Likes Received
    Plus it's A LOT easier to increase your power than it is to increase your quickness.

That said, there ain't a dang thing wrong with Warmack's quickness (for a guard) or Cooper's power.
  12. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,515 Messages
    463 Likes Received
    Agreed. I don't think Davis ever had that "Nastiness" to his game. BIG DUDE, but too nice.

I remember when LaRoi Glover (all 280 lbs of him) bull rushed Davis (when he was with the cards) for a sack/safety a few years back.

No self respecting offensive lineman would ever allow a 280 lb DT to BULL RUSH them. Ever. I could see it if he beat him with quickness, but he just bowled over Davis.
  13. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

2,925 Messages
    538 Likes Received
    If Chance Warmack doesn't fit into the scheme then the scheme is broken. Plain and simple. The kid is an absolute beast. He blows people off the line and rarely, if ever, gets pushed back. Warmack is head and shoulders above any other interior lineman in this class, and I do like Cooper too.
  14. JPM

JPM Well-Known Member

5,655 Messages
    149 Likes Received
    Didn't Ware bullrush Davis (again on the Cards) once too? I seem to remember that.
  15. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,515 Messages
    463 Likes Received
    Warmack would fit into our scheme just fine.
  16. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,135 Messages
    1,314 Likes Received
    Right now he is.

I've always liked Cooper better because of the upside factor.
  17. ABQCOWBOY

34,171 Messages
    1,291 Likes Received
    I don't see him as tier 1. If he were a little more developed, I think he would be. His strength, might serve to be a limiting factor at this point. He has played so many different positions on the OL that I think he many not be as developed in any single position as he might need to be in order to be a day 1 starter. Lets see how well he shows at the combine. If his strength is there, then I will be inclined to agree with you. However, if he struggles, as I suspect he might, getting pop off the snap, then I think he's probably a guy who needs a year of strength training. It's really hard to tell if it's a case of better strength and conditioning or if it's the injury situation.
  18. ABQCOWBOY

34,171 Messages
    1,291 Likes Received

Well, I don't like a Zone Blocking Scheme myself but hey, I don't make the decisions so I guess this is what we have. Warmack looks like a heck of a run blocking Guard but I don't see him as all that great a pass blocking OL. I think he's just OK at it and that is at the collegiate level. In the Pro's I think he's a RG and that's it. I guess it really depends on what we covet more. Do we want a LG or a RG? If we want a RG, he might be OK. If we want a LG, he won't work.
  19. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,276 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    I really don't know where Dallas is going with this Zone Blocking scheme. I don't think they know either. The two free agent guards that Dallas signed last year are not Zone Blocking linemen, but they was signed after the change. If they are going to run some zone concepts with the bigger guys, they would fit.

For the record, I agree with you on the Zone Blocking scheme. I don't like it in any shape or form. It is finesse football at it's best, and I don't believe in finesse football. Neither type of blocking is going to work with the current talent and the Heinz 57 mixture of linemen currently on the team.
  20. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,515 Messages
    463 Likes Received
    People that say "Zone blocking is finesse football" simply don't understand zone blocking schemes. You can be just as aggressive with a zone blocking scheme (even moreso at times) as you can with a man blocking scheme. All a zone blocking scheme does is have you blocking the man in your ZONE (you can still block his arse just as hard as you would in a man blocking scheme).

One huge advantage to a zone blocking scheme is it makes all the moving around presnap by the defense a moot point. In a man blocking scheme it would create confusion to all but an incredibly smart veteran OL. "Incredibly smart" is not a word I'd use to describe our OL (as a whole).