1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

7th round Cowboys select Caleb McSurdy ILB Montana

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by BrAinPaiNt, Apr 28, 2012.

1. curboys

curboys Member

81 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    Biography: Two-year starter awarded all-conference honors the past two years and named to numerous All-American squads as a senior. 2011 Big Sky Defensive Player of the Year with totals of 130 tackles/8.5 tackles for loss/4 sacks. Junior numbers included 112 tackles.

Positives: Smart football player who quickly diagnoses the action and rarely makes mental mistakes. Breaks down well, effectively uses his hands to protect himself and flows well to the action. Aggressive, consistent and hard hitting. Forceful up the field, efficient and keeps the action in front of him. Takes good angles to plays and consistently wraps up when tackling. Remains disciplined with assignments. Flashes skill in zone coverage.

Negatives: Lacks overall quickness in his game. Lacks speed in pursuit or out to the sidelines.

Analysis: McSurdy was incredibly productive the past two seasons and displayed great development in his game. He's a two-down defender for the next level who could eventually develop into a starter at inside linebacker in a 34 alignment. He also plays with a special teams mentality, which increases his value.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/draft-2012/players/80968.html#ixzz1tNMD5qr1
  2. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,283 Messages
    1,176 Likes Received
    red rock.
  3. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    I love the unintentional comedy of fan reactions to 7th round picks. It's probably my favorite part of the draft, and it never disappoints.
  4. Sitting Bull

Sitting Bull Active Member

1,433 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'm a big Montana fan and I'm thrilled. He isn't the athlete Trumaine Johnson or Kroy Biermann are, but he was the undisputed leader of the defense and makes plays all over the field. I really thought he was destined for PFA after blowing the combine, although he rallied at his pro day. I really think we picked him because he would've been a targeted PFA of the Rams (Fisher's kid played S for Montana) and Falcons (who have a history with MT players). Probably Practice Squad, but you'll see. He's a stand-up kid.
  5. john van brocklin

john van brocklin Captain Comeback

1,490 Messages
    165 Likes Received

NO CENTER :(
  6. junk

junk I've got moxie

9,288 Messages
    230 Likes Received
    Dirty McSurdy!

I doubt he makes the team. Probably too slow.

But, he's a hard working, lunch pail guy. Good teammate and leader. Just physically limited.
  7. Avery

Avery The Dog that Saved Charleston

7,858 Messages
    359 Likes Received
    Anybody this late is a longshot, but I'm not sure how he fits into our roster.
  8. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    At this point in the draft you're just looking for guys who can fill a role. He sounds like he could play special teams, play goalline/short yardage packages and backup as a 2 down ILB thumper who would have be substituted out in nickel situations if he ever had to fill in as a starter. The model for this guy would be Ryan Fowler, who had a 5 year career after being an undrafted free agent.
  9. jjktkk

jjktkk Active Member

1,649 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    Yep. There was another lb they converted to fb a couple years before Hoyt. Forget his name.
  10. dstew60105

dstew60105 Active Member

1,768 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    We drafted two last year and signed two this FA period? How many do you want?
  11. a_minimalist

a_minimalist Active Member

4,545 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    could he strictly be a special teams guy?
  12. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    Yeah, but all those guys suck becuase they were late round undrafted types, but the late round undrafted types in this year's draft are apparently unstoppable man beasts.

This is what people actually believe.
  13. john van brocklin

1,490 Messages
    165 Likes Received
    I want a quality starting center that is not constantly getting shoved into the backfield!

But hey, no problem! we have 4 highly paid quality cornerbacks, maybe one of them can start at center ???
  14. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received

The only starting caliber center in this draft was Konz, and he had medical flags. The rest were just backup types who are no better than what we currently have.
  15. silverbear

silverbear Semi-Official Loose Cannon

24,188 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Robert Thomas, the owner of the largest cranium I've ever seen on a human being...
  16. igtmfo

igtmfo Well-Known Member

1,243 Messages
    48 Likes Received
    I'll say this ...

Our NW area scout. He had better be good. Or this will be a bust draft on his hands.

As of last year he was Sam Garza. Sam, I hope you are right with all these Big Sky etc. picks on your watch.

Let's go, Sam! Have a few cold ones tonight.
  17. Sitting Bull

Sitting Bull Active Member

1,433 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Yep. It was a bad year to need a center. Love the Claiborne move and we seemed to draft BPA for our schemes, with a common thread of being high-character, coachable guys with upside. We'll know how we did in three years...
  18. john van brocklin

1,490 Messages
    165 Likes Received
    Thanks for your insight , I appreciate your post.
    Any decent free agent centers left ?
  19. gimmesix

gimmesix Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life

8,954 Messages
    662 Likes Received
    We addressed the major need on the D-line: a pass rusher. I think the Cowboys are pretty satisfied otherwise with Hatcher, Ratliff, Lissemore, Spears and Brent. Crawford gives us six linemen, and we'll probably also keep Geathers.
  20. newlander

newlander Well-Known Member

8,206 Messages
    123 Likes Received

...I saw that too..........not good.:rolleyes: