1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

A cloud of pot busts lingers over college football -- and the smoke isn't clearing

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Arch Stanton, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton it was the grave marked unknown right beside

6,475 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    A cloud of pot busts lingers over college football -- and the smoke isn't clearing

By Mark Schlabach | ESPN The Magazine

DAYS BEFORE the University of Georgia broke for spring break in March, athletic director Greg McGarity gathered more than 600 athletes and warned them about the consequences of consuming alcohol and illegal drugs.

Not everybody heard him.

Before the end of the month, police had arrested Bulldogs starting cornerback Branden Smith for misdemeanor marijuana possession and, according to multiple reports, All-America safety Bacarri Rambo tested positive for weed. (The school has not confirmed or denied the reports; according to Rambo's high school coach, he unknowingly ate pot-enhanced brownies.) Under the school's drug policy, Rambo, whom the school had previously suspended for a rules violation, could face a multigame suspension. Smith, a first-time offender, will miss at least the Sept. 1 opener.

The incidents highlight a trend in college football that has taken hold of the news cycle several times since the beginning of last season.

Most recently, on April 11, former Auburn running back Michael Dyer testified during an ex-teammate's trial on armed robbery charges that he consistently smoked synthetic marijuana while playing for the Tigers. Dyer was suspended for last season's bowl game and has transferred to Arkansas State.

In February, four football players were among 17 Texas Christian University students arrested in a campuswide drug sting. Linebacker Tanner Brock, safety Devin Johnson, offensive tackle Ty Horn and defensive tackle D.J. Yendrey are charged with delivering a quarter-ounce to five pounds of marijuana to undercover agents. The Fort Worth Star-Telegram also reported that five TCU players tested positive for marijuana and another 11 had trace amounts within the margin of error after a Feb. 1 test.

Read more:http://espn.go.com/college-football...one-many-elite-college-programs-espn-magazine
  2. Dyluke

Dyluke Member

441 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    The reality is the NCAA is coming down harder on these individuals than our actual Justice system is. Not to get into a debate about marijuana, but the facts are (at least in California) that marijuana is barely even a slap on the wrist anymore. In fact, possession under an ounce is an INFRACTION. To me the whole thing is a joke.
  3. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    Its different in a lot of states. Just because California does it that way means nothing. They do a lot of stupid things there.

Bottom line it is ILLEGAL everywhere. As long as that is true this will happen.

Morons get what they deserve. If you are too stupid or too weak to put down the bong that is on you.
  4. bpfred

bpfred Member

94 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    I agree. Unless you are dealing (think Sam Hurd), then it should be treated more like speeding. Society has moved in that direction. The little old ladies that run the NCAA and NFL should too. Plus, I've never been part of any team, from high school on, where there weren't at least some of the guys smoking weed. There were guys that smoked that played in our local church basketball league for cyring out loud--and I'm a Baptist. These authority figures need to lighten up a little.
  5. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

20,427 Messages
    765 Likes Received
    I agree. Not only that, if you can't take steps to make sure you aren't caught or pass a drug test then that says something about you. The testing regiment is not that strict. It is not too difficult to find ways around the system.
  6. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,034 Messages
    961 Likes Received
    Societally, smoking weed isn't a major thing.

Be it Willie Nelson or Lil Wayne music is reminding us how popular this is.
    I don't do it and would prefer all the players not to as well.
    BUT....
    Were I a GM I'd want to know I could trust a guy to tell me the truth and understand the importance of staying eligible. All that said, I wouldn't take all the potheads off the board.
  7. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Well-Known Member

2,879 Messages
    1,088 Likes Received
    Its definitely not performance enhancing