1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

A Dose of Reality

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Reality, Jan 8, 2013.

1. TheXFactor

TheXFactor Active Member

370 Messages
    91 Likes Received
    We don't have the Defensive ends for a 43 though unless we play ware and Spencer as stand up defensive ends, or draft/sign some
  2. honyock

honyock Well-Known Member

1,221 Messages
    241 Likes Received
    Yeah, Rat had a good stretch as an undersized NT but I wonder if he'd really be better utilized and have a longer shelf life in a 4-3.
  3. weaver21

weaver21 Member

627 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    Ware can play defensive end. Hell, he did it in college and Dallas transitioned him into a 3-4 outside linebacker when we drafted him. It wouldn't be an easy transition, but I'm pretty sure Ware could learn to play the 4-3 DE position.
  4. TheXFactor

TheXFactor Active Member

370 Messages
    91 Likes Received
    He's played his entire career as an OLB, a switch at this point in his career would be extremely difficult. Maybe 3 or 4 years ago sure, but not now, it's a very different position
  5. CyberB0b

CyberB0b Well-Known Member

3,203 Messages
    1,130 Likes Received
    Ryan called a lot of over/under shifts which basically gave one olb or the other the same responsibilities of a 4-3 end.
  6. TheXFactor

TheXFactor Active Member

370 Messages
    91 Likes Received
    Ware only went into a 3 point on passing downs. Playing the run from a 3 point is completely different from playing it in a 2 point
  7. cml750

cml750 Well-Known Member

2,123 Messages
    416 Likes Received
    Nice write up in the OP. I agree 100% with the bolded part. Ryan did not impress me and I see no use for a 3 - 4 if the DC is not going to use it to blitz. I thought we upgraded the secondary so Ryan could dial up the heat. That never happened, hence I am glad he is gone.
  8. Seven

Seven Messenger to the football Gods

10,981 Messages
    366 Likes Received
    The 3-4 has not worked here since its inception. I liked the idea and the flexability but for whatever reason it's always been our kryptonite, IMO.
  9. cowboyeric8

cowboyeric8 Chicks dig crutches

5,195 Messages
    48 Likes Received
    Good post. Everyone should read it.
  10. punchnjudy

punchnjudy Well-Known Member

1,118 Messages
    80 Likes Received
    Wasn't surprised by this at all. Thought Jerry might choose this path to avoid having to make too many changes in one offseason.

My guess is Jerry wasn't thrilled with Rob and figured he probably wouldn't be here past next season. He may have wanted to avoid having to replace an oc and dc (and the resulting personnel due to changes in schemes) in a single offseason. One way to avoid that scenario is to bring in a DC qualified to take over as HC next year should Red get fired. That way there's at least some continuity. If he fired Red this offseason, the next HC probably would have wanted to bring in his own DC, meaning Rob also would have had to go. Not endorsing that approach; just saying it might explain Jerry's actions (if indeed it was his decision). When he promoted JG and Campo, he mentioned continuity as one of the benefits so it has entered into his mental equations before. Of course, ego and liquor may be present in these equations as well.
  11. Wulfman

Wulfman Unofficial GM

1,300 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    I'd have to say that I agree, Reality. I'll be writing an end of the season "Wulf Den" over the next week or so, and the changes on defense will certainly play a role in how that article comes out. But based on the performance of Ryan's defenses on all three of his stops (Oakland, Cleveland, and Dallas), I'd have to say that we shouldn't be surprised by the results. His defenses have never been the best in the league, so folks expecting a top 5 defense from him this year--even with all of the starters healthy--were already expecting more than he's shown.

I like Rob, and he may well be getting a raw deal because of the injuries his defense ran into this season. But there were a lot of times during the games this year that I scratched my head while watching the tape, trying to figure out just what the heck he was doing. It appears that I wasn't alone. I think there is something to reputation by name, rather than by production, and perhaps Ryan got caught in it. I doubt we'll ever know for certain.

It will be interesting to see who they are planning to talking to, and it will give us a very good idea about whether or not we'll see a switch back to the 4-3 front. It will also shake up the draft board many of us are already compiling.

As you said, it will be interesting...
  12. unsportsmanlikeconduct

unsportsmanlikeconduct Active Member

345 Messages
    63 Likes Received
    Much depends on if the Cowboys are changing the defense "philosophically" or "systemically".
    If philosophically, as Garrett was quoted, then they may bring in a coordinator with a much more aggressive style.
    If systemically, then yes, probably a move to the 4-3.
    I can't see the logic to moving to a 4-3, though. It would probably be a 2 year process to get the type of players for that defense, much as it took a couple of years to bring in the type of linebackers required in the 3-4.
    I respect Parcell's ideas tremendously and I recall him saying it is much easier to find good linebackers than it is to find good defensive lineman.
  13. funkytown

funkytown Well-Known Member

1,023 Messages
    54 Likes Received
    Your logic about it not being easy to transition is off base.

This is football. He's not learning a new sport. Really not even learning a new position. Pass rush outside linebacker to pass rushing defensive end. Apples and oranges. He played this position in college, and the Cowboys have been mixing up schemes.

Not only can he transition easily, I think it will make him a better player. Especialy at this stage of his career.
  14. IrishAnto

IrishAnto Well-Known Member

1,013 Messages
    146 Likes Received
    Good post and I particularly agree with your point about generating turnovers.

A good defense gets them on a regular basis and doesn’t perpetually languish in the bottom 20% or worse in the league year after year and win.

My only question is: what decade was it that you could just anticipate the defnese generating turnovers?

Outside of Paul Pasqualoni’s brief tenure in charge in 2010 I can’t remember the defense generating turnovers. :D
  15. Shinywalrus

Shinywalrus Active Member

1,740 Messages
    7 Likes Received
    Reality, if only this were true, my life would be much, much easier!
  16. Reality

Reality Administrator Staff Member

11,514 Messages
    947 Likes Received
    I should clarify .. rich and successful businessmen always have contingency plans. :D You may be a contingency plan for someone like that :)

/reality
  17. JackWagon

JackWagon Well-Known Member

1,390 Messages
    113 Likes Received
    Not having suitable replacement for Spencer points directly at the crappy GM.
  18. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,415 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    I've told you this before, but you should post more often.
  19. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

31,092 Messages
    1,948 Likes Received
    Very good post Reality.

I agree with all of it.
  20. VACowboy

VACowboy Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,577 Messages
    67 Likes Received
    I had high hopes for Rob Ryan when he was hired, but have been sorely disappointed with the distinct absence of aggressiveness his defense has shown. I know. I know. Tons of injuries. No safeties. Blah. Blah. Blah. Fact is, the mediocre results he's achieved in Dallas are no different than we've seen from Ryan anywhere else he's worked.

I was a Rob Ryan fan because he was a Cowboy. I'd have been loudly behind him had he stayed, but now that he's gone I'm not sad. The play of the Dallas D over the next coupla years will ultimately determine whether letting Rob go was the "right" thing to do, but I think I'm safe in saying that if it plays better, no one will care whether Rob deserved to be fired or not.

Good stuff, Reality. Agree all the way around.