1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

A Fingertip And A Foot

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Apollo Creed, Dec 20, 2012.

1. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Stackin and Processin, Well

8,616 Messages
    493 Likes Received
    If Dez's finger stays in bounds against the Giants and Bailey's kick doesn't hook left against Baltimore. Dallas would be 10-4, Giants would be eliminated from playoff contention and we would basically be a lock for the NFC east.

Truly is a game of inches.

So lets think about, is this team really that far away?

For a team missing countless starters, under these circumstances, they've done an incredible job.

I know hindsight is 20/20 but for a team that 'has the worst offensive lien in football' a 'GM that has no idea what he's doing' and a coach 'learning on the job.'

They are 13 inches away from being the best team in east and possibly playing for a first round bye right now.

So, are they really that far away - especially in today's league or parity, I like my teams chances just as good as anybodies in the NFC.
  2. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,637 Messages
    3,907 Likes Received
    My own view is Dallas has talent but is just learning about being a team. 53 individuals do not win, guys coming together laying it on the line for each other as a team can make a big difference.
  3. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,558 Messages
    1,815 Likes Received
    If Cinci doesn't drop all those balls we're 7-7.

You can play this game all day. The reality of it is that we're fortunate to hold our fate in our own hands and have a legitimate chance of making the playoffs. The talk about being on the brink is all well and good, but it's all for naught if they choke against NO this week.
  4. AsthmaField

AsthmaField Outta bounds

11,217 Messages
    2,849 Likes Received

If Dez's fingers stay inbounds, we know the outcome. Dallas wins.

If Bailey's kick goes through the upright against Baltimore, we know the outcome. Dallas wins.

If Cincy catches those passes, do we know the outcome? No. There would have still been a lot of plays and different variables.
  5. RXP

RXP Well-Known Member

3,083 Messages
    1,268 Likes Received
    It's a stretch to say that our chances are as good as anybodies. THe Cowboys do have major holes that teams like the Packers, 49ers and Falcons will exploiit. Namely the O-line and the middle of the defense, which has been decimated.

Given the circumstances, Garrett has done a terrific job keeping this team in contention given all the injuries. That can no longer be denied.

I'd love to see this team make the playoffs. Nobody thought it would be possible after starting 3-5. But at the end of the day, the Cowboys are still a productive off season away from truly contending.
  6. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,558 Messages
    1,815 Likes Received
    If Dez doesn't drop the 2 pointer, do we know that Baltimore doesn't take the kickoff, complete a pass, and kick a field goal to win? Do we know that the Giants wouldn't have scored?

Green catching that ball and scoring would have been just as effective as Dez catching the one against NYG. Have to call a spade a spade.
  7. newnationcb

newnationcb Well-Known Member

2,643 Messages
    341 Likes Received
    He's not talking about Witten dropping pass down the field against Seattle and not having a punt blocked.

He's talking about plays that happened at the end of the game. If he were playing the same game you are then he could come up with anything during any game as well and have us at 12-2 right now.
  8. RXP

RXP Well-Known Member

3,083 Messages
    1,268 Likes Received
    Every team in the league can come up with another 2-3 wins playing the "what if" game.

It's all pretty pointless.
  9. AsthmaField

AsthmaField Outta bounds

11,217 Messages
    2,849 Likes Received

He was talking the fingertips against NY and the kick against the Ravens. Not 2 pointers, etc. Those plays would directly change L's into W's for us.

You are correct though that you can do this for any game... but that's like saying water is wet. Of course. Obvious.
  10. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,558 Messages
    1,815 Likes Received
    Well I'm saying as long as there's one second left on the clock, you don't KNOW anything.

Every team can find wins by imagining that more breaks went their way.
  11. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Pow! Pow!

9,085 Messages
    379 Likes Received
    Agreed. I think we're learning how to win. Last year, it seemed like we went through so many late game growing pains, but this year, late game is when we step it up.
  12. CanadianCowboysFan

CanadianCowboysFan Lightning Rod

15,634 Messages
    416 Likes Received
    yes we know the Giants wouldn't have scored given the TD was with six seconds left.
  13. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,637 Messages
    3,907 Likes Received
    I like hearing the team says that if we go into the 4th and are within 10 we know we can come back and win the game. Part of winning is believing and having the confidence that you can get the job done.
  14. gimmesix

gimmesix Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life

9,468 Messages
    934 Likes Received
    Not if they hadn't ruled Dwayne Harris down on his kickoff return when he wasn't.

Although Dallas has won enough close games to play what-if either way, it's still interesting to think how close the team has come to being 10-4, as the original poster said, a foot and a fingertip.

Again, it doesn't mean anything, it's just interesting for some of us to think about with this team.
  15. percyhoward

percyhoward Research Tool

8,707 Messages
    2,855 Likes Received
    If that ends up being the only time Dez's finger makes a difference in the outcome of a game this season, I'll gladly take it.
  16. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,586 Messages
    2,243 Likes Received
    A blown whistle against Tampa, any of a number of missed TDs by Cincy.

It all balances out. When every game is pretty much a coin toss you have examples in both directions.
  17. RomoIzDaMan

RomoIzDaMan New Member

48 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    It is a game of breaks-lucky and unlucky.Right now it seems like everything is going the Cowboys' way.Last season the Giants got all the breaks all the way thru a championship and it seemed like the Cowboys were cursed.

To me this season feels like the makings of a lightning in a bottle year for the Boys.Especially if they win their last two games.Dallas teams have gotten to championship round this way lately.Rangers 2010 and Mavs 2011
  18. TonyRomo09

TonyRomo09 Member

456 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    I'm sorry, but you are being a tad ridiculous.. He said that the finger and the kick leave us at 12-4. And you're contention is that it would not have. It only would have made the percentage chance that we win those games somewhere like 99.99% so you don't "KNOW". We better just shut down the forum guys! we can't talk about any possibilities... nope... no discussion on how close we could be to this record or that with Vin Deisel over here...
  19. CanadianCowboysFan

CanadianCowboysFan Lightning Rod

15,634 Messages
    416 Likes Received
    except that at full speed, it looked like Romo was down against Tampa.
  20. TonyRomo09

TonyRomo09 Member

456 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    again, the original poster is not griping about calls, or could haves in the first quarter... he pointed out the two times that the game came down to how one last play went. Bailey's kick is good and we win.. Dez's finger is a little shorter and we Win... You can take it down to the smallest level and change a single variable to change the outcome in those cases... to compare that to the drops in cinci is just foolish.