1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

A football life: Barry Sanders

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by StarBoyz83, Dec 5, 2012.

1. muck4doo

muck4doo Well-Known Member

2,007 Messages
    92 Likes Received
    Amen on that
  2. bbailey423

bbailey423 Well-Known Member

5,000 Messages
    582 Likes Received
    Here is what I will say about Jim Brown....he was bigger than everyone blocking for him...and everyone trying to tackle him. Notice how those "big" backs fare in today's NFL? Ask Brandon Jacobs. Emmit would have been a lot to handle in any era. I truly wonder if Jim Brown would have been able to run through, drag, run over NFL players in today's era. Not saying he was not great. But was he elusive? What about vision. Emmit had ELITE vision. ELITE anticipation. I saw Emmit 2 years ago....does not have any of the things you would expect from guys that carried the football that much. Eyes were bright, speech was clear...moved pain free. Probably looks like he might weigh 190 pounds. This is not a coincidence. The ability to absorb hits correctly...the ability to see things before they happen...so you can turn a certain way to avoid a kill shot. Emmit got VERY little kill shots on him. And it won't because he ran on the edges. He ran between the tackles...for YEARS. We are not talking about which RBs would win at the NFL combine. I am talking about putting on the helmet and pads and getting up and down. Play after play. Quarter after Quarter. Game after Game. Year after Year. And he did more succesfully than ANYBODY else. There is no way to know if these other guys bodies could endure everythign it would take to amass the amount of yards Emmit did. So we cannot assume they would reach these goals had they kept going. Couple of years ago EVERYONE thought Tomlison was on his way...then the wheels fell off. It takes a specal RB to do what Emmit did. Which is WHY he is the only one to have ever done it.
  3. erod

erod Well-Known Member

5,049 Messages
    2,234 Likes Received
    Look, Emmitt is my all-time favorite Cowboy. Wear his jersey to every game. Greatest Cowboy of all time in my opinion.

But if he was drafted by the Seahawks, he'd barely be mentioned. He had the perfect quarterback, coordinator, and offensive line, and he took advantage of it. Incredibly durable and consistent.

Sanders had ZERO help. Terrible coaches, awful quarterbacks, no defense, and no notable offensive line. He was the most unique running back of all time.

Brown, Payton, and Simpson still set the example that others follow. And if he hadn't gotten hurt, Bo Jackson might have trumped them all.
  4. muck4doo

2,007 Messages
    92 Likes Received
    That is a ton of crap. Brown and Glover were pro-bowlers. You sound just like a Lions fan.
  5. erod

erod Well-Known Member

5,049 Messages
    2,234 Likes Received
    OK, a couple of guys. Whoop-te-do.

The guy had to win games by himself, which is darn hard to do as a running back.
  6. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

118,905 Messages
    2,715 Likes Received
    Can't stand him. For my money the most over rated player who has ever stepped on a football field.

Glad he was never a Cowboy. Would not even make my top list of RBs because I don't respect that he would not run between the Tackles. Exciting as hell, but contributed too much to his team being losers because he handicapped them.
  7. muck4doo

2,007 Messages
    92 Likes Received
    So he had pro-bowl offensive linemen, but was still winning it by himself? Well, he didn't win much. He also didn't set the record. Emmit has 3 rings, and the all time rushing leader record. Enough said. He is the best. He also would play through injuries, and didn't give up. Barry is a known quitter. I don't ever want to see the two compared. It's a joke. Barry is very good, but i would take Emmit, or Bo Jackson over him any day.

/Back then anyways
  8. NickZepp

NickZepp Well-Known Member

2,673 Messages
    172 Likes Received
    The guy that gets lost on the best ever discussions is Earl Campbell. The guy from about 78-81 put out sick numbers. Today we may have on that will be an all time great in Adrian Peterson. Now he really does have a line that's not any good and right now has no QB or receivers and just came off a brutal knee injury and has put up sick numbers the last 6 weeks.

Sanders, Brown, Payton, Dickerson, Smith, Campbell, Motley, Simpson, Dorsett, and Faulk would be my top 10 in no real order right now.
  9. muck4doo

2,007 Messages
    92 Likes Received
    Billy Sims was also electric, but had a short career.
  10. Bizwah

Bizwah Well-Known Member

5,972 Messages
    208 Likes Received
    Uhhh...Herman Moore and Brett Perriman would probably disagree that Barry didn't have any help.
  11. muck4doo

2,007 Messages
    92 Likes Received
    That Marcus Allen guy was pretty good too.
  12. NickZepp

NickZepp Well-Known Member

2,673 Messages
    172 Likes Received
    Sayers, Sims, and Jackson are talented freaks probably would have been easily top 10 guys but just had too short of careers. Especially with Jackson. He never even had a 1000 yard rushing season. Sims should be in the HOF but for whatever reasons isn't.
  13. muck4doo

2,007 Messages
    92 Likes Received
    Billy Sims=Karate Kid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0O7973Ew8A
  14. StarBoyz83

StarBoyz83 Well-Known Member

3,267 Messages
    440 Likes Received
    Well emmitt is my favorite but he was behind the best o-line to ever play. So that for sure takes away from it imo.
  15. dexternjack

dexternjack World Traveler Zone Supporter

6,202 Messages
    1,887 Likes Received
    I think its funny that some people who don't consider Romo elite is because he lacks hardware. Well, so does Sanders. How can it be that Barry is better then Emmitt, the guy that does hold some SB trophies.

Also, Emmitt was money in the playoffs, Barry was not even close. Here is a snippet I found:

Barry Sanders -- Overrated

Barry Sanders, who was inducted into the Hall of Fame in 2004 (his first year of eligibility), scored one touchdown for every 35 touches in his 153 regular-season games, but just one touchdown in 112 postseason touches in six playoff games.
    Indeed, Sanders' only career playoff touchdown was a 47-yard run against the Dallas Cowboys in a 1991 divisional-round playoff game in the Pontiac Silverdome. The Lions won that game 38-6. Sanders' touchdown came in the final minutes of the fourth quarter with Detroit already leading 31-6. The following week, the Lions went on the road to play the Washington Redskins at RFK Stadium. Sanders was not a factor. Detroit took a 41-10 beating.

US Presswire
    Barry Sanders wasn't the same player away from home.
    Sanders' postseason performance supports the notion that he was a product of the cozy, climate-controlled Silverdome. Nice carpet for easy, stop-on-a-dime maneuvering. Seventy-two degrees. Detroit faithful keeping the defensive line off balance with high decibel support.
    In four career outdoor postseason games, Sanders averaged a paltry 2.8 yards per carry. He never scored a touchdown. And he never ran for more than 65 yards in a single game. With Sanders, the Lions went 0-4 in outdoor playoff games, losing by an average of 17 points.

So, what is the final analysis if Romo can't be better than Eli because of rings but Barry can be better than Smith?

Emmitt may or may not be better(he is IMO) than Payton or Brown, but he sure is heck superior to the quitter Sanders. Just my two cents.
  16. rynochop

rynochop Well-Known Member

2,590 Messages
    361 Likes Received
    And how many of all those o lineman are in the hof?

I think people still forget that Emmitt played almost another entire season in playoff games and superbowls. I think its 14 games, well over 1000 yds, not sure of tds, double digit I'm sure.
    If im starting a franchise, I pick Emmitt every time as my rb.
  17. bbailey423

5,000 Messages
    582 Likes Received
    Didnt we get Newton and Tuenei off the scrap heap? I believe Erik Williams was a 2nd round pick. Larry Allen was a 2nd round pick. Stepnoski was not here for every Super Bowl. Neither was Allen. There is ONE hall of famer in the bunch.....Allen. No doubt they were a great OL.....but part of what made them great....and Irvin great....and Aikman great......was Emmit. On TRULY great teams...they all feed off each other. And the great ones elevate the performance of their teamates. Which is the problem we have in Dallas right now with our so called great players. Barry quit. Do you think that gene developed over night? Do you think he had a little of that in him all along? Do you think his teammates sensed that trait?

He had some tremendous highlight plays. So did it Emmit. But again, we are talking about running, catching, picking up the blitz, converting 1st downs, scoring TDs, playing hurt....I mean, this is about winning, right? And to win, you have to make game winning plays....to make game winning plays, you have to carry your team on your back. Emmit did that in big games!
  18. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

23,715 Messages
    1,218 Likes Received
    I agree on Bo Jackson. If he'd never been hurt and if he'd focused entirely on football the guy would have been the best ever.

He was that damn great.
  19. bbailey423

5,000 Messages
    582 Likes Received
    I agree he was great. But again, his greatness was predicated more on his physical gifts....than all the other things that made Emmit great. Every guy being named above Emmit...was more physically gifted....whether it was more size, speed, wiggle...you name it. But NONE of them accomplished what Emmit did. And that is because being more physically gifted is NOT enough. All you have to do is look at Montanna and Brady to understand that being the most physically gifted is not enough. Neither can run fast. Neither of them have a rocket arm. But they had so many things that CANNOT be measured...which is why they have achieved more than most other QBs. Heck Jerry Rice was not the most physically gifted WR. And you know what he did.
  20. TheFinisher

TheFinisher Well-Known Member

2,481 Messages
    648 Likes Received
    Barry Sanders is one of the greatest RBs to ever play the game, to say he handicapped the Lions is ridiculous.