1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

A general consensus on Anthony Hitchens....

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Risen Star, May 10, 2014.

1. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

49,322 Messages
    3,625 Likes Received
    I'm shocked.
  2. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

7,729 Messages
    670 Likes Received
    This is very confusing to me. I love virtually every other pick.

Can't understand this one?
  3. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

11,565 Messages
    4,139 Likes Received
    Most of the complainers have not watched his game footage. Even if they did, I not certain that they would know what their seeing.

I've watched all of his snap from 4 games. He is a really solid football player. He plays fast with good awareness and has a good ability to either avoid or shed blocks. Also, he plays tough. This in not a finesse LB.
  4. Biggems

Biggems White and Nerdy

11,670 Messages
    66 Likes Received
    could have been had later I believe..........but, I like this pick better than the two trade ups.
  5. xwalker

11,565 Messages
    4,139 Likes Received
    Maybe. It's hard to know. They reported that a couple of teams were interesting in him in that area of the draft.
  6. Biggems

Biggems White and Nerdy

11,670 Messages
    66 Likes Received

perhaps, but they also say that to cover their tracks when they make mistakes in the draft.

honestly, as much as I dislike this draft, as long as these guys work hard and stay healthy, maybe it will be a successful class.
  7. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

15,987 Messages
    1,651 Likes Received
    So basically you have three guys that all share the same brain with rankings all within a few spots of each other to go along with a blank for writeups and Dane Brugler that has him significantly higher and a writeup?

You guys familiar with the notion of groupthink?
  8. brooksey1

brooksey1 Well-Known Member

1,261 Messages
    318 Likes Received
    You can probably just call it now.
  9. xwalker

11,565 Messages
    4,139 Likes Received
    Now that I've watched 4 of his games, he is one of my favorite picks.
  10. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

2,957 Messages
    554 Likes Received
    Do you think he can play the WIL though? From what I've seen he looks more of a fit at Mike or SAM, which is why I'm scratching my head on the pick.
  11. xwalker

11,565 Messages
    4,139 Likes Received
    I think he can play any of the 3 spots. They probably generally prefer a taller guy at SLB, but he does have better than average arm length which add to his overall length. I expect him to practice primarily at MLB as a rookie. I expect Carter, Durant and Holloman to get the snaps at WLB.

Unlike players that need to gain weight, he is likely to lose a couple of pounds which will only make him faster. I think he played at a weight over the 240 recorded at his Pro Day. He already plays much faster than his forty time which is not to surprising because his 10-yard spilt was good.
  12. Manster54

Manster54 Active Member

854 Messages
    51 Likes Received
    I am glad you like him. Puts me a little more at ease. No one can argue about his production. It just hurt making a reach after losing that third round pick.
  13. xwalker

11,565 Messages
    4,139 Likes Received
    Yes, it felt like a reach at first, but that's all based on the draft analysts having players ranked correctly. I believe that the media draft analysts spend about 90% of their time on players projected in the top 3 rounds and just a bare minimum amount of time on the later round picks.
    FuzzyLumpkins likes this.
  14. igtmfo

igtmfo Well-Known Member

1,243 Messages
    48 Likes Received
    Eberflus was very enthusiastic.

He said IIRC - excellent-or-superior timing and instincts to the ball, taking/shedding and avoiding blocks, including rare ability to run down plays at the sideline from MLB as far as taking the right angles - makes tackles when few guys would moving down the line. Has position flex.

Eberflus hasn't gotten much chance yet to show his ability scouting col LBs, so we don't know his track record, except:
    - Holloman. A joint Eberflus/Bisaccia pick like this guy Hitchens is.
    - Carter (Lacewell might have had main influence)
    - McSurdy (considered at least in part as FB conversion project)
  15. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

29,534 Messages
    5,262 Likes Received
  16. xwalker

11,565 Messages
    4,139 Likes Received
    Collier said that Hitchens was naturally better as a running back than he was at linebacker. Collier said his star pupil worked a lot in the film room, studying to master the defensive position. He shouldered the weight of losses more than any other player Collier coached.

“I’ve been around here a long time and have seen some great athletes, but I’ve never seen the athleticism, drive, unselfishness and work-ethic that he had,” Collier said. “For him to get to where he’s at now is just a testament to the kind person that he is and the work ethic that he has.”

Hitchens settled in and became a staple on the defense. He carried his film-watching skills with him to Iowa, and taught his fellow linebackers a thing or two.

“Some stuff he sees in the box is something I may not see,” Kirksey said. “I can get tips and things from him about how a certain lineman may move.

“He’s always in the film room. We always try to get in there and watch as much film as possible … It makes you happy to see him out there playing his butt off.”
  17. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

20,805 Messages
    7,170 Likes Received
    Well it shouldn't have been often. The fact is this is a bad, poorly run team. If you were positive for much of the last 10 or 20 years you've been wrong.
  18. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

20,805 Messages
    7,170 Likes Received
    It makes zero sense to me and not a single one of the defenders, including the vaunted youtube scouts (Justin Pugh can't play in the league!) ever mentioned Hitchens before the draft. No matter what they have to say they can't say "I was a fan of him before the draft". This is merely the yearly defend the team at all cost portion of the offseason.

And make a villain out of those that don't change their opinions when the team makes their decisions. My stance on Hitchens would have been universally accepted on May 9th.

Hitchens is an undrafted free agent talent who will be a bad backup/good special teams player here for a few years. Once it's painfully obvious it was a bad pick it'll be too late to mention it. Quit living in the past with your hindsight, hater. Let's talk about this latest marginal talent we drafted 4 rounds too high. What? Do you realize a handful of other teams were about to draft him? Do you know more than the team?!

Round and round we go. While the historical significance of the Cowboys' past accomplishments becomes less meaningful every year.
  19. noletime95

noletime95 Well-Known Member

1,081 Messages
    36 Likes Received
    Well said
  20. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

29,534 Messages
    5,262 Likes Received
    Was it? I don't see how it matters if nobody wanted or mentioned the guy before the draft. Unless they'd specifically said they didn't like the player. Nobody on the site had brought the idea of drafting him, and I don't believe anybody knew much about him at all when we did. Either way, that's immaterial to the quality of the pick.