1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

A general consensus on new Dallas Cowboy Travis Frederick...

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Risen Star, Apr 26, 2013.

1. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

2,983 Messages
    585 Likes Received
    It was a terrible pick. What you just described is reaching for need. That's not how you build a franchise.
  2. Teague31

Teague31 Defender of the Star

6,292 Messages
    529 Likes Received
    The funny thing to me about all those slamming the pick is that they all say they would have been good with it at 47. When did 16 picks make it a huge reach?
  3. ABQcowboyJR

ABQcowboyJR Well-Known Member

2,891 Messages
    115 Likes Received
    Oh the irony
  4. cowboysfan31

cowboysfan31 Active Member

1,292 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Nolan Nawrocki had Frederick listed as his 9th best OL...I didn't look at his order but it just so happens that Frederick was the 9th OL taken in the draft. No one could have predicted it would have happened in the 1st round but that's why we love the draft.
  5. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

36,980 Messages
    3,543 Likes Received
    As well as you may be wrong. The point is no one knows what the player will do. He looks solid in the run game, snaps the ball well and gets into position quickly, and adequately pass blocks. Other than elite pulling ability that translates into a solid player. There are some things you can do and expand your playbook considerably with elite guards/centers but alas we didn't get a real chance to draft one. So we took a very serviceable player to shore up probably the greatest need on the team and that's interior OL.

The draft is to acquire players not save or gather some subjective ratings points you can't spend. While I agree he may have been there at 47 apparently they either knew better or didn't want to take a risk on a player they wanted.

So we'll see in 2016 if I'm still here.
  6. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

16,075 Messages
    1,763 Likes Received
    Good take.

I get the argument about reaching assuming that they are lying about him being 22. That being said if you wanted a quality olinemen then you HAD to reach. I like power lineman so I am fine with the choice even if I would have picked Elam in his place.

Fred is a drive blocking machine that only Worford holds candle to.
  7. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

21,040 Messages
    7,519 Likes Received
    1. Luke Joeckel
    2. Chance Warmack
    3. Eric Fisher
    4. Jonathan Cooper
    5. Lane Johnson
    6. D.J. Fluker
    7. Brian Winters
    8. Kyle Long
    9. Travis Frederick
    10. Justin Pugh
  8. Nirvana

Nirvana Well-Known Member

3,726 Messages
    833 Likes Received
    I like the pick and he looks great on film. The versatility to play G or C is a huge plus. We needed this badly. Guy is a mauler! Enough with the BS about value etC. it's all opinion and not facts. He was who they wanted. All others were gone. And Floyd sounds like another Spears...
  9. pacboyX

pacboyX Active Member

186 Messages
    45 Likes Received
    Top rated C..smart guy..previous wrestler?..happy romo will have some smarts in front of him...but with all this talk no one brings up how much this is gonna help Demarco?????
  10. alpha

alpha New Member

215 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Five OL have never gone in the top-10 in the history of the draft (modern 7-round era). We all knows what happens to the value of a resource/commodity when it becomes scarce.

How many called Fluker at #11? How many picked Pugh or Long (much less BOTH) to hear their name called by #20?

Yet, even after knowing this, isn't it interesting how many still insist Fredrick (or the equivalent of the next best OL taken in the draft) would have lasted til #47...

I don't claim to be clairvoyant, and you can call that a reach if you like, but you don't need to be an expert in statistical analysis to understand the odds were very much against that particular outcome.
  11. Rogerthat12

Rogerthat12 DWAREZ

3,506 Messages
    174 Likes Received
    Yes, happy with the player, NOT happy where he was selected @31!:eek:
  12. egn22

egn22 Active Member

820 Messages
    209 Likes Received
    :hammer:
  13. starfrombirth

starfrombirth Well-Known Member

3,881 Messages
    447 Likes Received
    And we can still get warford.
  14. chagus

chagus Active Member

222 Messages
    33 Likes Received
    Well said! Although not a very popular or "sexy" pick it does address a HUGE need. Center...CHECK! Bring on rds 2 and 3! Hoping for Montee Ball...
  15. Cowboysfan570

Cowboysfan570 Well-Known Member

1,063 Messages
    55 Likes Received
    If the scouts or coaches didn't feel that Shariff fit our scheme and weren't enthusiastic about anybody else at that spot then they were smart to trade down.

For all the talk about need and BPA it doesn't have to be one or the other in this case, if everybody left on the board at that point was considered a late 1st or worse then they effectively cost us nothing for an extra 3rd round pick.

Frederick was generally ranked as the best center available in the draft which means he was the BPA there and he also can play guard, which means he could potentially meet two of our big needs.

We don't have to agree with it, but it's entirely possible that by the time our initial pick came around Frederick WAS considered the BPA AND safe to wait until 31 to draft; after all, everybody in the war room seemed pretty thrilled when we got him.
  16. Derinyar

Derinyar Well-Known Member

2,041 Messages
    122 Likes Received
    My question would be this then. If they didn't like Floyd why does it sound like they had him at #7 on their board. if you don't want a guy, don't list him. If he was #7 on their board it was a huge steal to get him at #18. if you don't like him, or think he doesn't fit system, then push him way down or off the board.
  17. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    Sounds like common sense to me. If he didn't fit the system, why list him?
  18. Yuma Cactus

Yuma Cactus Active Member

694 Messages
    57 Likes Received
    I hated Dallas passing on Floyd. With that said Frederick looks outstanding on the 5 games I watched (every offensive snap). IMO he will be a guard. Seemed to get to the LB's with regularity and he was an immovable object in the middle. Just wondering if CHI is being skewered for taking a generally lower ranking O-lineman 11 spots higher.
  19. deadlift

deadlift New Member

7 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    thanks op!
  20. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

21,040 Messages
    7,519 Likes Received
    Frederick's best pro position is C because you take advantage of his intelligence and leadership skills.

Now he could very easily play G this year, but if you want to get the most bang for your buck with Frederick over his career, it's at C not G, IMO.