1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Recommended A good man in charge

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by erod, Aug 1, 2013.

1. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

33,173 Messages
    9,005 Likes Received
    What I like best about Jason Garrett are his grammar, and he ready smile.
  2. CowboyRoy

CowboyRoy Active Member

592 Messages
    28 Likes Received
    LOL...........this was a real nice feel good post for you, but very far from reality.

Now I fully agree that Doody looks much happier. He actually looked and acted like a head coach for the first time in my opinion last night on the sidelines. And the team actually operated like a real football team. The reason is quite simple. Doody is no longer in way over his head by having both jobs. Lets be honest here. Doody had no business running an NFL offense. Not for a franchise like Dallas with hopes of making SB runs.

Jones finally stepping in and forcing changes was the best thing he has done in a while. After two hapless years of watching Doody bumble the offense and mishandle being ahead coach, Jones laid down the law. It all started with the firing of Doodys brother. Basically saying that Doody is no longer in charge and big changes are coming the way Jones wants them. And they are all working great so far. Bringing in a new DC and letting Callahan handle the offense is working wonders. Doesn't even look like the same team anymore. Any anyone without Doody homer blinders on knows that Doody was against the change. But he sure looks happy now.

In summary............we threw away two years getting to this point because Doody was in over his head and never should have been hired for the job. The only question now is can the Cowboys make noise with Doody well out of the picture on both offense and defense and can we win with a puppet as a head coach. I think Doody has some skills and being a politician is one of them. That bodes him well in dealing with Jones and being his puppet. He plays it off well. Jones mistake was thinking that Doody would be the next Landry. Not a chance. But he may turn out to be the perfect puppet. As long as you have great coordinators and great coaches under him.

But don't think for second that Doody isn't playing for his job. If we miss the playoffs again this year, Doody is toast. I am personally hoping we make the playoffs and we show improvement. Last night seemed a welcome sight for big changes and a different philosophy with our football team. All of them were no where to be found when Doody was in charge. They have all come this year with Doody getting kicked to the curb as head puppet.
    khiladi and Chocolate Lab like this.
  3. CowboyRoy

CowboyRoy Active Member

592 Messages
    28 Likes Received
    LOL........accept for the OL and the DL. LOL

Its quite clear that Jones and Stephen, control the roster with this team. Or maybe you didn't watch the full war room on draft night. Jones does what he wants and tells everyone else what direction the team is going. When Doody was telling Jones to pick Fewix Jones with our first round pick 5 years ago, he should have been telling him to draft Oline.

Now maybe Doody will learn how to properly function with clock management and red flag throwing. Maybe we can see that studly red flag throw he does with the dramatic wrist turn and leg kick. LOL
    khiladi likes this.
  4. CowboyRoy

CowboyRoy Active Member

592 Messages
    28 Likes Received
    Then maybe you just aren't following the cowboys close enough. Jones controls the roster, not Doody. As far as the practices, they have been even more light than camp cupcake under Wade. And if you are looking for all of a sudden better drilling and execution, then the obvious, all of a sudden difference is Callahan running the offense.
    khiladi likes this.
  5. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

33,173 Messages
    9,005 Likes Received
    Who the heck is 'Doody'?
  6. erod

erod Well-Known Member

5,588 Messages
    2,803 Likes Received
    The bolded simply isn't true. He does meddle in the first round of drafts, but then he gets distracted by shiny objects.

Jerry fought the idea of releasing TO. Did the same with Gurode, Davis, Barber, etc. He gets attached to players, and he HATES taking the financial and cap hits that goes with it. I have no doubt Stephen and Garrett had to gang up on Jerry.

Garrett stripped this team of its old non-contributors. And in turn, he accepted the staff re-shuffling. In fact, I think he knew it was needed. He also knew, I'm sure, how it would play publickly, and that he'd need to re-establish himself among the staff and players. He needs to do that, he is in the process of doing that, and I think he's succeeding in doing that.

Note: Callahan, Kiffin, and Marinelli aren't threats to his position. Callahan has had two goes at it and failed. Marinelli failed miserably as a head coach. And Kiffin is ancient. They seem to enjoy working together and for Garrett. It's all good.

And Jerry hates the idea of writing a big check for Gruden or Cowher or Lovie or whoever. I think the only two coaches he'd write a check for are Payton or Fisher, who are both friends of Jerry.

Garrett is handling this masterfully, both the team management and the ego hit he's had to take.

"Doody" is an Ivy Leaguer and a former NFL quarterback. He's way ahead of us both, chief.
  7. 5Stars

5Stars Here comes the Sun...

26,879 Messages
    1,897 Likes Received
    I think he means Howdy Doody...you know, something a child would say, like grade school insults.

I hope that CowboyRoy is not a grown man because if he is that would be embarrassing.
    Avenger likes this.
  8. AsthmaField

AsthmaField Outta bounds

11,640 Messages
    3,343 Likes Received

Wrong. Garrett is the main difference and he is the driving force in the good drafts we've been having.
    Avenger likes this.
  9. CowboyRoy

CowboyRoy Active Member

592 Messages
    28 Likes Received
    Doody has been a complete bust as a head coach thus far. Those are the facts. And what is he handling masterfully? getting kicked to the curb and being relegated to head puppet? So he does it with a smile, big deal. Fact remains, he handled it poorly. He kept telling the media that who was handling the play calling wasn't decided yet. Meanwhile it was decided at the end of last year. He even bumbled that.

If he knew what he was doing, he would have hired a real play caller the day he got the head coaching job. His inexperience showed. Clearly his Ivy league pedigree hasn't helped him in coaching. He was a sub standard OC and has been a sub standard head coach now coaching for his job. Quite frankly, he is lucky that Jones chose to fire the DC and turn the offense over to Callahan and Romo. One more season with Doody bumbling the offense and the coaching and he would be toast.
    khiladi likes this.
  10. CowboyRoy

CowboyRoy Active Member

592 Messages
    28 Likes Received
    Sure he was. That's why had that pissed look on his face when Jones drafted Frederick. LOL And Im sure it was his decision to move up to take Claiborne right? And when Jones drafted the TE in the second round, did you not watch the war room when he told Garrett that this pick meant they were restructuring the offense to the 12 formation?

Doody is the main reason we missed the playoffs the last two years. His bumbling of the offense and the play calling.
    khiladi likes this.
  11. CowboyRoy

CowboyRoy Active Member

592 Messages
    28 Likes Received
    Yep, that's right, Howdy Doody. Doody for short. He looks like Doody and coaches like a high school rookie coach.
    khiladi likes this.
  12. CowboyRoy

CowboyRoy Active Member

592 Messages
    28 Likes Received
    Wade turned out to be a much better coach than the overwhelmed Doody has been. But that like comparing Quincy Carter to Drew Henson. LOL
  13. CowboyRoy

CowboyRoy Active Member

592 Messages
    28 Likes Received
    sounds to me like he knows football pretty well. Maybe you need to start paying attention and take off those Doody homer shades. You're going to see what a real OC looks like this year now that Callahan has taken over with Romo having more input on the offense. And the game plans will be real game plans. In game management and halftime adjustments will actually happen and work from time to time. And I'm sure Callahan will use the hurry up before we get down by 14 points.
    khiladi likes this.
  14. 5Stars

26,879 Messages
    1,897 Likes Received
    lol

Like I said, how embarrassing...!
    Avenger likes this.
  15. CowboyRoy

CowboyRoy Active Member

592 Messages
    28 Likes Received
    Doody hasn't even coached us past 8 wins yet hes the genius. LOL

Anyone who watched the game yesterday saw two completely different sides of the ball. Now that Jones has turned the D and the O over to two new coordinators, I don't even recognize them. Doody is out of the picture and its already paying dividends. The execution was amazing for a first game. And those were the backups.
    khiladi likes this.
  16. CowboyRoy

CowboyRoy Active Member

592 Messages
    28 Likes Received
    I completely agree. Doody has been a complete embarrassment and an embarrassment to those fans that blindly supported him. I prefer to let the chips fall where they may and judge the results rather than to blindly have faith and praise based on a biased agenda.
    khiladi likes this.
  17. 17yearsandcounting

17yearsandcounting Benched

2,391 Messages
    1,677 Likes Received
    Erod: Jerry Jones is terrible

Me: Yeah, totally. Can you believe he hired Jason Garrett after his QB coaching stint with Culpepper and Harrington?

Erod: But but but I like Jason!!

So what is it? Is Jerry a dunce or are you just selectively picking and choosing what to criticize him for because you luvvvvv Jason so much?
    khiladi likes this.
  18. superpunk

superpunk Benched

26,328 Messages
    73 Likes Received
    I don't see why everyone has to slant things just so they look more correct.

Our drafts have improved with Garrett as HC. I think he is a good force in the draft room, and I think he has obviously communicated to the staff the direction and pieces he wants. I think he has a vision, but it's taken longer than it should tbh. But some of that could have to do with contractual messes we've been in prior to his time - tough to move on from all of those at once.

He was obviously overmatched as a coordinator/HC. Jones made the tough decision to demote him. Whether he liked it or not, he's still here and playing it out. If it works, who cares? He's a politician and a diplomat - IMO perfectly suited for the walkaraound CEO head coach role. We had him shoehorned into something he sucked at.

There's no need to try and paint him as something he isn't either, he's been BAD so far. Sorry, there's no other way to say it. He's been a slight improvement to Dave Campo, with the added embarassment that he has one of the best QBs in the NFL and still can't get us into the playoffs. Stop trying to paint that as anything other than what it has been - BAD. Jason Garrett, up to 2012, has been a BAD head coach. Get over it.

good grief just be honest and stop sensationalizing. We don't know what went on behind closed doors and honestly who cares? Just knock it off. You're not entertaining and you're not funny and you're not interesting.
    tantrix1969 likes this.
  19. CowboyRoy

CowboyRoy Active Member

592 Messages
    28 Likes Received
    The only thing grade school here is you engaging in personal attacks against another poster you dont agree with. Is Doody your son or something? How about growing up and avoiding the personal insults. That would be much appreciated
  20. 5Stars

26,879 Messages
    1,897 Likes Received
    lmao

I probably have food in my fridge older than you!

But if you feel better about attacking the Coach of the Dallas Cowboys by insulting him online...hey, have a good time!