1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

A look inside the ‘world’s nicest prison’

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by Afigueroa22, May 25, 2012.

1. Afigueroa22

Afigueroa22 Well-Known Member

1,014 Messages
    122 Likes Received
    Picture this: A small Norwegian island dotted with pine trees, rocky coasts, rustic farms and private, wooden cottages. It sounds almost like the perfect romantic getaway. But the residents are actually inmates confined to what some are calling the "world's nicest prison."

It's unconventional to say the least; neither the prisoners nor the guards wear uniforms, and the inmates have keys to their own rooms.

Full Story: http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/look-inside-world-nicest-prison-180524054.html
  2. ajk23az

ajk23az Through Pain Comes Clarity

7,664 Messages
    44 Likes Received
    Pathetic..
  3. Rynie

Rynie Benched

4,606 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    It's not pathetic if their focus is on actually rehabilitating the prisoner so they won't repeat. That is the actual purpose of prison, although you wouldn't know it based on the prisons here in the US. We don't care if prisoners repeat, because high rates if recedivism keeps people employed.
  4. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,212 Messages
    1,938 Likes Received
    I agree and disagree.

Rehabilitation in the US is a joke but you don't have to provide someone with an island get away in order to get results.

Furthermore, I have zero desire in seeing rapists and murders rehabilitated. I'd much rather they rot or get flushed ASAP.

They say the results from this population are very good but consider two factors.

A) The population includes serious offenders who exit jail in their 50s and 60s.

B) They force them to work.

You give me a population of prisoners and 20 years to teach them the value of an honest job and I'd bet I could put out better results than the US status quo as well.

For whatever reason, we can't have our prisoners work to cover their stay.
  5. SMASHMOUTH9473

SMASHMOUTH9473 Member

165 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    I would say 30% learn their lesson. The other 70% just learn from their cellmates stupidity. I've seen them come and go in the past 17 years. Believe it or not but rules for Texas offenders are copied by other state penitentiary's because of our days in the Ruiz decision. It has gotten easier for them to do their time but for me I wish the building tenders were still around. Given the shortage of staff today compared to the pre 80's make it extremely dangerous for my staff, the public and the offender population. I wish doing time actually meant something by today's standards.
  6. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    What we have are little indoctrination communities where *******s can learn to be better at it, instead of dreading it.

Because there are inmate advocacy organizations. :rolleyes:
  7. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,267 Messages
    829 Likes Received
    Yes it is pathetic because if punishment for murder is only going to be a stay on an island and work on a farm then they will run out of room on that island from all the people who take advantage of a stupid society.
  8. Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan Benched

14,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
  9. 5Stars

5Stars Here comes the Sun...

26,088 Messages
    1,422 Likes Received
    What is so good about that prison? Our prisons are not that bad. Vick did his time and got a job that pays millions of dollars a year.

:rolleyes: :cool:
  10. Afigueroa22

Afigueroa22 Well-Known Member

1,014 Messages
    122 Likes Received
    :eek: Right you are.
  11. 67CowboysFan

67CowboysFan New Member

2,345 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Interesting viewpoint considering the number of cases that have been reversed in recent years due to DNA results. I'd much rather have people ready to return to society than to return to the streets unable to survive and commit crimes to return where they are warehoused.
  12. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    The number of cases not reversed aren't a matter of news and the few that are overturned are really just a drop in the bucket compared to the people who do belong in jail. We can't weigh punishment on the fact that a minority of cases are over turned.
  13. Rynie

Rynie Benched

4,606 Messages
    0 Likes Received

Agreed. There is no "rehab" in prison (in the US), unless you do it yourself.
    Agreed on the second too. I should have been more clear in my OP. I'm not for rapists, murderers, etc getting to frolick around in the fields, BUT i do get the prison's reasoning.
  14. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,464 Messages
    1,590 Likes Received
    Contrast that with Sheriff Joe in Maricopa County Arizona.

[IMG]
  15. Teren_Kanan

Teren_Kanan Well-Known Member

1,652 Messages
    143 Likes Received
    Joe Maricopa is a fool and proves it every time he gets on TV and opens his fat mouth.

I've actually done a lot reading into some of the alternative prison systems, such as Norway, and am far more pleased with their results than those of the ones here in America. But most things like this are done better elsewhere.
  16. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,267 Messages
    829 Likes Received
    :facepalm:
  17. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,464 Messages
    1,590 Likes Received
    I have a friend named Steve who was in that tent jail for meth. He hates Arpaio, but he thanks him too because he says he will never go back to jail.
  18. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,212 Messages
    1,938 Likes Received
    The number of reversals is unfortunate but it is what it is.

I'm not sure how many people have been released under that condition but I would consider it to be something that will peak and then fall.

With the implementation of DNA testing as a regular part of nearly every case possible these days, the odds of DNA freeing someone after the fact are pretty slim moving into the future, IMO.

How many of the people who were released were sentenced when DNA evidence wasn't the lynchpin it is now?

I have no doubt there will be more moving forward from here but at some point the number of cases that DNA will even be able to help will dwindle because DNA will have already been considered during the first go around.

That said, this issue of DNA is a problem with everything up until punishment. If we have to reform all murderers and rapists because our system can't get things right a good enough percentage of the time, we need to work on the system.
  19. RastaRocket

RastaRocket Sanka, Ya Dead Mon? Ya Mon.

5,856 Messages
    417 Likes Received
    You haven't seen anything yet. Try Juarez Mexico, there prison is a complete joke.

[youtube]VlaDBQdrPYw&feature[/youtube]

Start at 12:50 in this video.

[youtube]-OtBwufsCME&feature[/youtube]

(continues at the very beginning of this video)
  20. CliffnMesquite

CliffnMesquite Active Member

4,092 Messages
    15 Likes Received
    Only a handfull of offences shouls carry jail time. And those should mandate the death penalty.