1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

A Radically Different Plan for the Cowboys

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by T-RO, Feb 28, 2013.

1. ufcrules1

ufcrules1 Well-Known Member

7,090 Messages
    1,364 Likes Received
    I guess what it comes down to is what camp you are in? I'm personally in camp #2. I wish I was in camp #1 though.

1. You think we are really close to making a super bowl run with the players we have now.

2. You think we need to really beef up the lines, add a safety, add some depth, and then make a super bowl run in a couple of years.
  2. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,525 Messages
    972 Likes Received
    That's the approach someone without an understanding of the cap would take
  3. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,022 Messages
    1,875 Likes Received
    I would not trade Witten etc., only because I do believe that if you gave Orton a good OL, he would be better then 3-13. He could win for you IMO.
  4. Nation

Nation Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

2,462 Messages
    974 Likes Received
    We are 22-26 the past three seasons. In the three seasons prior to 2011 the 49ers were 21-27, and they went to a conference championship and a Super Bowl the next two.

Since 2000 the Cowboys are 1 game below .500. Not fun, I agree.

However, if you look at the numbers the Cardinals are 24 games below .500. the Raiders are 22 games below. Chiefs 15. Jaguars 13. And those teams look a hell of a lot further away from title contention than we do.

We haven't been good enough to win a title the past few seasons, but we certainly haven't been "not bad" enough.
  5. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

12,937 Messages
    5,325 Likes Received
    I try really hard not to criticize posters; however, it just seems like this thread was created as a look-at-me "I" would do something radical.
  6. ufcrules1

ufcrules1 Well-Known Member

7,090 Messages
    1,364 Likes Received
    I thought it was an excellent thread topic. I also feel like one day when we look back we will regret that Jerry emotionally held on to players for too long instead of cleaning house when those said players still had significant value on the market.
  7. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,780 Messages
    1,173 Likes Received
    And we sure don't have enough of those do we?
  8. theebs

theebs Believe!!!!

22,213 Messages
    1,270 Likes Received
    Worked so far for the mavs.

And raise your hands if u think this front office can find a franchise qb.

We can barely fill in the less important pieces.

But hey we would have cap space and a couple extra draft picks.

try selling jerseys and stadium tours on the premise that u have cap space.
  9. 5Stars

5Stars Here comes the Sun...

26,682 Messages
    1,782 Likes Received
    It's Madden, bro! You can do anything you want...

:cool:
  10. T-RO

T-RO Well-Known Member

4,403 Messages
    319 Likes Received

Even Jerry conceded: The window is closing.

I'm not saying Romo is washed up now. Far from it. He's going to be a good for 2 or 3 more years. Then you'll start to see the inevitable decline. Injuries will come more often and take longer to heal.

Pro sports is the domain of youth.
  11. T-RO

T-RO Well-Known Member

4,403 Messages
    319 Likes Received
    I know absolutely, positively, categorically that every dollar we are "saving" (what a perversely misapplied phrase) on the cap today...with all of these restructuring deals...we will owe in the future.

There are no guesses about this. There is no doubt. Short of the NFL killing the salary cap it is as certain as gravity.

Just like it is now with dead contracts...and our current cap purgatory...it will persist in seasons to come: We will end up with less available in the cap than everyone else.

I'm not guessing. I'm not speculating. I KNOW THIS. And one more thing I absolutely KNOW:

If you compound our current cap duress with giving Romo one of the biggest contracts in the NFL...We will be hamstrung for years.

We would be forced to watch some of our best players walk at the end of their contract...and be paralyzed to sign any meaningful FAs.
  12. T-RO

T-RO Well-Known Member

4,403 Messages
    319 Likes Received
    C-Lab...I almost always agree with you about the Cowboy Cingdom... but I don't understand your perspective about Jason.

I'm not dogmatic about it. Ready to be proven wrong...but I don't see Carrot Top as the problem.
  13. T-RO

T-RO Well-Known Member

4,403 Messages
    319 Likes Received
    I'd be willing to consider trading Ware and Witten.
  14. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

16,425 Messages
    2,228 Likes Received
    Another claims about cap doom in the future and no attempt to actually account for any of it.

You would be a terrible GM for no other reason that you rely on gross generalizations and guessing instead of knowing what you are talking about.
  15. T-RO

T-RO Well-Known Member

4,403 Messages
    319 Likes Received
    True. I'd probably be willing to do the trade even for just a first round and a second.

In EROD's thread he spoke of some in-the-know who think we could get a first rounder and two second-round picks.
  16. T-RO

T-RO Well-Known Member

4,403 Messages
    319 Likes Received

I know EXACTLY what I'm talking about at the Macro level. We are in cap hell RIGHT NOW...scrambling around with our credit card, pushing our due dates back. As has been widely stated...we have no meaningful money to be a player in this year's free agency.
  17. T-RO

T-RO Well-Known Member

4,403 Messages
    319 Likes Received

Jerry would love to draft a bright shiny quarterback. We just need to be drafting at the top. Top 3. There are no guarantees, but that is our best hope.

We need to suck for a year. We need to suck bad.

Meanwhile, I'll still be a fan of Romo where-ever he ends up playing.
  18. dware94

dware94 Active Member

116 Messages
    40 Likes Received
    This is the case for a lot of teams. We were active in the FA market last year, which means we need to fill our holes in the draft this year. Just because you have money to spend in FA doesnt always make you better, just ask Tampa Bay how that worked out last year.
  19. Muhast

Muhast Newo

7,472 Messages
    174 Likes Received
    So glad fans dont have a say so. They think jerry is bad? Imaginr one of us running it. It would be ten tines worse. Every player that gets in trouble would instantly get cut regardless of the cap ramifications. We would sign every player who is cut by another team (as proven by the hundreds of "should we sign ______" threads).
  20. T-RO

T-RO Well-Known Member

4,403 Messages
    319 Likes Received
    Aside from the Skins there aren't many teams like Dallas that were faced with a $20 million dollar hole.

I agree that FA is no miracle cure. I'd prefer to invest in keeping our own (though in recent years we haven't drafted enough good players for this to be an issue.)