1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

A Radically Different Plan for the Cowboys

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by T-RO, Feb 28, 2013.

1. USMarineVet

USMarineVet Member

282 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    I agree with this post. I would most definitely sacrifice the short term for the long term. It's time we get our cap back in order. And being a Romo fan myself, I'd be willing to trade him to get 3 top picks in return to start the rebuilding process. 3-13 is a lot better than 8-8 in the big picture of things.
  2. CyberB0b

CyberB0b Well-Known Member

3,414 Messages
    1,331 Likes Received
    Lol who would send a 1,2,3 for Romo?
  3. T-RO

T-RO Well-Known Member

4,394 Messages
    312 Likes Received
    Its not as acute right now as it was in that time period...but...When it's year after year of cap mismanagement...dead money...that's hell in my book.
  4. T-RO

T-RO Well-Known Member

4,394 Messages
    312 Likes Received
    The talk amongst insiders is that Romo would fetch a nice return and is elite enough to also secure a massive contract.

Adam Schefter says...
    So Schefter seems to shy away from a value of two first-rounders...but suggests it's not much less than that.
  5. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

15,761 Messages
    1,345 Likes Received
    If it does not impact to sign or retain FA then who cares. It is not going to this year and from a look at the accounting it is not next year either. We should have no issue retaining Lee.

The reason why we were in cap hell at the turn of millennium is because we had Irvin and Aikman's careers cut short as well as Sanders go merc all within a short time frame.

Because of that, their prorated money all got turned into dead money. If we were to for example trade or cut Romo, Witten, Ware etc as the radically ignorant plan would do, you end up in the same place.
  6. T-RO

T-RO Well-Known Member

4,394 Messages
    312 Likes Received
    We are almost certainly going to lose Spencer because of our pitiful cap situation. I CARE!
  7. jobberone

jobberone Orangutans make great guitarists Staff Member

35,913 Messages
    3,048 Likes Received
    Ok gentlemen. :(
  8. Biggems

Biggems White and Nerdy

11,615 Messages
    39 Likes Received

I see where you are coming from, but I think if you are going to trate Romo......then you have to go all the way.....trade away Witten, Ware, and Austin. Then you build as much as you can over the next two drafts......and I agree, you use the 2014 draft to get your QB of the future.
  9. Nation

Nation Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

2,221 Messages
    763 Likes Received
    How has that big picture worked out for the Browns, Raiders, Jaguars, Cardinals, etc
  10. erod

erod Well-Known Member

4,495 Messages
    1,508 Likes Received
    I disagree for two reasons:

1. I think this team is pretty close if they manage to get the offensive line together in this draft and free agency. Amidst this strange shakeup were some needed changes.

2. I don't think i'm going to like this league much in a few years with the direction it's going with rules and concussion overreactions. So keep pushing the cap issues into that future when I may check out anyway.
  11. T-RO

T-RO Well-Known Member

4,394 Messages
    312 Likes Received
    You can pick a few teams that had suffered through quarterback droughts...

Or you can look at teams that in the past few years found their quarterbacks of the future
    - Seattle
    - Carolina
    - Washington
    - Indy (only had 1 year drought)
    - San Francisco
    - Cinci (very possibly)
    - Miami (very possibly)
  12. T-RO

T-RO Well-Known Member

4,394 Messages
    312 Likes Received
    Erod...if we extend Romo at 20 mil per year...we are almost assuring ourselves a dark hole after next season.