1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

A Rant: I'm really disgusted

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by cajuncocoa, Nov 6, 2012.

1. cajuncocoa

cajuncocoa Bleeding silver and blue Zone Supporter

2,439 Messages
    367 Likes Received
    I'm more disgusted than I have ever been in my 44 years as a Cowboys fan. With every passing week it's becoming increasingly obvious that there is something deeply wrong with this football team.

Of course, the Cowboys aren't the first team to go through a bad cycle, and they won't be the last. The difference between us and those other teams is that those other teams can fix what is wrong. If it's the coach, they can fire him and hire a new one. Same with the G.M. If there are holes on the team that need patching, it can get done through the draft and free agency.

But what hope does a fan have when the problem is the owner? Especially when that owner doubles down when anyone tries to point out to him that he IS the problem?

This team isn't going to head in the right direction anytime soon. All of the people on this board who blame Romo, or blame Garrett....you need to realize that even if Sean Payton (for example) agreed to coach the Cowboys and he brought Drew Brees along with him, it wouldn't change much. Sure, we might get to the playoffs and we might even win one round, but we'd be right back to mediocrity before long. We've seen it before with Jerry as owner (keep in mind, he couldn't keep Jimmy Johnson as our coach because his ego got in the way. What makes anyone think it would be different with Sean Payton or anyone else?)

I feel angry...and very sad.
  2. tecolote

tecolote Well-Known Member

1,850 Messages
    610 Likes Received
    A good coach makes Dallas a contender.
  3. gmb85

gmb85 Active Member

1,486 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    I let go of the anger years ago. I won't let this team hurt me. :)
  4. tyke1doe

tyke1doe Well-Known Member

20,061 Messages
    951 Likes Received
    I'm not going to say that Garrett is a good coach (though I think he will be eventually), but it's kind of scary that the same demeanor and coach-speak he uses, Wade Phillips used.

I get the feeling that Garrett is resigned to the culture of the Cowboys, and that the situation is even bigger than he.
    I see the same cheery, check-out mode in Garrett I saw in Phillips.

And, yet, when Phillips got out of Dallas, he turned the defense around in Houston, something he couldn't adequately do when he was here in Dallas.

Yes, a defensive coordinator is slightly different than a head coach, but how is it in the area where you are an expert (in Wade's case, defense), you were abysmal in Dallas yet go further South in Texas and transform a defense that wasn't nearly as talented as Dallas' and turn them into a hit squad?

It just baffles me. I suspect if Jerry Jones ultimately lets Jason Garrett go, he'll prove himself elsewhere - as an offensive coordinator if not as a head coach.

Just my take.
  5. cajuncocoa

2,439 Messages
    367 Likes Received
    I'm not disputing that. But how long before Jerry gets jealous of said "good coach" and runs him off as he did to Jimmy Johnson? Sure, we got 2 Super Bowl victories before Jimmy left...but when that happened it sent a message to all good coaches around the league about working with Jerry.

Ever wonder why we haven't even come close since? (Barry Switzer's SB notwithstanding, because he did that with Jimmy's team).
  6. WPBCowboysFan

WPBCowboysFan Well-Known Member

5,752 Messages
    1,962 Likes Received
    What if the talent/players are the real issue for the on the field junk?
  7. tyke1doe

tyke1doe Well-Known Member

20,061 Messages
    951 Likes Received
    Yep, me too.

I'm still a Cowboys fan. But my expectations are just so low, I don't get as nearly as hurt when they lose like I used to.
  8. cajuncocoa

2,439 Messages
    367 Likes Received
    Resigned to the culture of the Cowboys = resigned to the culture that Jerry Jones has created. Yes.

It's not a coincidence. Not at all.
  9. 44cowboys22

44cowboys22 Active Member

215 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    Yup a good coach can teach scandrick how to tackle or play free safety or become a good offensive lineman.....NOW a good coach can draft better players
  10. WPBCowboysFan

5,752 Messages
    1,962 Likes Received
    You are not alone. So many Cowboys fans saying this kind of thing. Its pathetic really. Not that the fans are pathetic, but this franchise.
  11. cajuncocoa

2,439 Messages
    367 Likes Received
    But see, that's part of why I AM so angry. Not about any particular loss, no...like you, I've lowered my expectations almost to the point where I'm cynical about the Cowboys even if they take a 14-point lead into the 4th quarter ("ok, how are we going to lose this game this time?")

I'm angry over the fact that it has to be that way, and I don't see it changing anytime soon.
  12. Wood

Wood Well-Known Member

4,646 Messages
    571 Likes Received
    Your just now figuring out something is wrong here? That should have happened in your head about 10 years ago.
  13. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,928 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    Said it before, but Jerry made one big mistake with Garrett. When Wade was here, everyone blamed everything on him. He was the easy punching bag because he looked like a guy selling watermelons off the back of his pickup, so people, especially the local media, focused the heat on him.

Garrett was supposed to be the young backup QB, the whiz kid who was being held back by his head coach and who would fix everything when he took over. But now that the curtain is pulled back and all that has been exposed as a myth, all that blame that went 90% to the head coach before is now being trained on the entire organization, and especially on Jerry himself.

Problem is, Jerry doesn't care. He'll keep taking the punches and stick his chin out for more.
  14. cajuncocoa

2,439 Messages
    367 Likes Received
    I still had hope 10 years ago. 10 years ago, we had just hired Bill Parcells. I really thought he would do more than one-and-done in the playoffs. Twice.

I even had hopes for Jason Garrett. But now I see he's no more than a "yes" man and that's all Jerry wants. Any coach who refuses to kiss Jerry's rear end has no future in Dallas.
  15. WV Cowboy

WV Cowboy Waitin' on the 6th

11,096 Messages
    1,375 Likes Received
    I tried for a long time to not let this team rip my heart out. I finally pulled it off before, during and after the Giants game. First time ever!

I never once let myself think that we might win the game. How sad is that?

But it worked, .. and it worked again Sunday night.

Now I don't get mad during the games, I just sit and watch. I'm not mad after the game either.

No emotion. Just change the channel and do something else.

I don't know what to make of this, but I have had to do this to protect myself.
  16. cajuncocoa

2,439 Messages
    367 Likes Received
    Agreed.
  17. WPBCowboysFan

5,752 Messages
    1,962 Likes Received
    A lot of us are right there with you.

Ive accepted it even tho I dont like it. What other options are out there?
  18. cajuncocoa

2,439 Messages
    367 Likes Received
    It's to the point where I see all these threads on this board talking about how we still have a chance if this or that happens, and I almost just want to go in there and post "snap out of it already!!"

I hate feeling this way.

When I first became a Cowboys fan, as a teenage girl, I would literally CRY after every loss...I became really emotionally invested in this team over the years. I stopped crying by the time we made those SB runs in the 90s, but I was miserable for the whole week after a loss. People I went to high school with and those whom I've worked with over the years always ask if I'm still a Cowboys fan when I see them. Not to put too much of a melodramatic spin on this, but I feel like part of me is dying when I see what Jerry is doing to this team. :(
  19. tecolote

tecolote Well-Known Member

1,850 Messages
    610 Likes Received
    I don't think that is the case, I really think there is enough talent here to win, of course we have weaknesses but every team has them.

Coaching is the difference in my opinion.
  20. Mr Cowboy

Mr Cowboy Well-Known Member

8,627 Messages
    854 Likes Received
    Carlos A. Mendez Carlos A. Mendez ‏@calexmendez

Just to be clear: Jerry Jones is never firing himself and wouldn't even consider it http://bit.ly/RQXEgf

Clarence Hill ‏@clarencehilljr

Garrett beware: Jones preaches patience but also says Cowboys don't have time for him to learn on the job http://bit.ly/SxvQhU