1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

A Reason The Divorce Rate Is So High

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by Hostile, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

119,083 Messages
    3,053 Likes Received
    So my wife and daughters are into some reality show about wedding dresses. Every day they watch episodes on the Wii in the living room and I hear them talking.

If people put as much emphasis on their marriage as they do these dresses the divorce rate would go down. The prices I hear my family talking about are mind boggling, and apparently there are people out there who believe their life will be better if they wear this dress one time and spend thousands on it.

I have a friend who has been engaged forever. I said to him, "Jesse, when are you and your lady going to tie the knot?" He said, "She wants to spend $20,000 on the wedding and reception. So once we have that much put aside we're going to do it."

You've got to be kidding me. The amount you spend makes the marriage better?
  2. Faerluna

Faerluna I'm Complicated

5,144 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    To me, that's completely mental.
  3. Hostile

119,083 Messages
    3,053 Likes Received
    Thankfully to both my daughters too.
  4. 5Stars

5Stars Here comes the Sun...

26,723 Messages
    1,809 Likes Received
    Please delete my Willy Nelson post!

Sorry...

(stupid cowboy fan)
  5. Cythim

Cythim Benched

1,691 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    We spent more on the open bar than we did on my wife's dress :cool:
  6. Hostile

119,083 Messages
    3,053 Likes Received
    That cracked me up.
  7. Cythim

Cythim Benched

1,691 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Thanks, we went for fun instead of boring. We had it at a local brewery/winery and had an ice cream cake from Cold Stone.
  8. 5Stars

5Stars Here comes the Sun...

26,723 Messages
    1,809 Likes Received
    [youtube]4-tsVMHuHrs[/youtube]

:D
  9. Joe Realist

Joe Realist No Kool-Aid here!

6,921 Messages
    426 Likes Received
    People prepare for the wedding, but not for the marriage.
  10. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,581 Messages
    2,953 Likes Received
    My dad said it best about his own wedding/reception: "why would I want to pay for 100+ people's dinners?"
  11. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,585 Messages
    2,242 Likes Received
    I'm not sure this is an actual reason for a high divorce rate.

I'd say it certainly makes the marriage more unbearable in the case of divorce, that's for sure.
  12. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,657 Messages
    1,482 Likes Received
    High maintainance. Dump her.
  13. davidyee

davidyee Maple Leaf

3,751 Messages
    61 Likes Received
    ...the ceremony is indicative of society focusing on the wrong part of the institution.

It's not about a singular event, but rather the journey of discovery.

The prize is the hand you are holding in yours and the challenge is to never have a reason to let go.
  14. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

31,316 Messages
    220 Likes Received
    Marriage. What is it good for?

A tax deduction. :D

Why spend $20k so you can save a few hundred? :facepalm:
  15. Alumni2k11

Alumni2k11 Old Dominion University (Class of 2011)

1,050 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    My first marriage was at a court house, costed less than 100 dollars. I imagine my next one will cost a little more than that, but surely wouldn't spend 20,000 dollars.
  16. kimrose

kimrose Well-Known Member

828 Messages
    345 Likes Received
    Someone mentioned "high maintenance". You better believe it! The goal would probably be to know the type of girl you are getting involved with before it gets to the point of Love and Engagement. If you have fallen in love with a high maintenance, materialistic chick who has to have everything "better", you can probably expect to have an elaborate wedding with lots of invited strangers you've never seen before. lol.

Most girls do dream of the Big Event, much like a fancy ball. They spend most of their young lives wondering what it would be like to be Cinderella. Most girls plan on only getting married once, to Mr. Right, and they want it to be a perfect night, filled with memories and happiness that will last a lifetime. A wedding is a girl's one chance to BE Cinderella. But some girls get lost in the wedding and go overboard in planning the festivities, and the dress. They let their eyes overload their senses and before they know it, they have a wedding planned that would rival Charles and Diana's. There is no need to drop 50 grande on a wedding. It doesn't say "I Love You" any more than standing in front of a JP does. Somewhere in the middle of Princess Diana and the JP is the perfect way to go. Sweet, memorable, meaningful, but most importantly, cost effective. ;)

Actually, the meaning of the marriage ceremony can get easily lost in a big, fancy, expensive event. Simply done, a small wedding means much more than all the hoopla of thousands of dollars being wasted. An overly done gala can actually set the scene for a nasty divorce down the road, when the guy finally realizes his wife is breaking his bank. Not for everyone, of course, a lot of people really can afford to spend like that. But if you are Joe Sixpack, earning a modest wage, you probably should steer clear of a girl who spends her whole paycheck on a pair of shoes.;)

But if she is a rich girl, that shouldn't be a problem. Traditionally, the bride's parents are supposed to foot the bill for the wedding, anyway. So, let Daddy's money do the talking.lol. If she wants a big, outlandish wedding, it is in part, keeping with "tradition" (the other part, of course would be having a bigger and better wedding than her best friend did). If she is that type of girl, she probably has not had to want for much in her life anyway, so...why not?? Kick back and enjoy the night, and your new pampered life.:)

Moral of the story, guys, make sure you can afford the girl before you fall in love with her.:)
  17. Meat-O-Rama

Meat-O-Rama Vegetarians are so stupid.

2,260 Messages
    52 Likes Received
    I've had this thought before. These women seem to be in love with the thought of getting married and having a wedding. Not much thought on what forever really means...
  18. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

23,906 Messages
    1,372 Likes Received
    Only to delusional women who've been raised their whole life to believe that this one day is supposed to be so over the top that expense should be no object.

It's stupid beyond belief.
  19. VietCowboy

VietCowboy Be Realistic. Demand the Impossible.

2,918 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    I've seen a few wedding shows (i.e. 4 weddings) and the least expensive wedding on there was $5K that took place in central park (so venue didn't cost much). Compared to the other 3 who spend upwards 10x more, you can see $5K doesn't go far.

The most expensive stuff are: Venue (some places can charge anywhere from $2-10K), Food/alcohol, fresh flowers, photographer, and wedding dress. The little stuff add up too, like table centerpieces, party favors, invitations, tux rentals, transportation, judge/officiant, deejay/live band, etc etc.
  20. davidyee

davidyee Maple Leaf

3,751 Messages
    61 Likes Received
    ...has anything to do with the situation then I think marriage should be the last thing on their minds.