1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

A Results Oriented League

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by hra8700, Jan 8, 2013.

1. hra8700

hra8700 Active Member

806 Messages
    56 Likes Received
    What does that even mean? All it means is that no one bothers to do any real analysis. Lovie smith would have kept his job if Minnesota lost week 17. He coaches the bears. How does that make any sense? Rob Ryan would have kept his job if romo scored a touchdown instead of throwing a pick on the final drive of the season. Rob Ryan coaches the defense. How does that make any sense? How many coaches are fired every year because they don't have a quarterback? You don't see fortune 500 companies firing their CEO every other year because profits are down. Why not? Because they don't look at "results". They look at the process. The same process Jason Garrett keeps talking about. The past doesn't matter, what matters is whether the coach has the system and football intelligence and leadership to win in the future. Those things need to be analyzed on their own, not just in terms of wins and losses (that are mostly due to talent). Sometimes a coach should be fired from a super bowl winning team. Sometimes a coach should be promoted on a 2-14 team. That's why I believe in Jason Garrett. That's why I believe in tony romo.

This isn't just a rant about rob Ryan (who had the number one defense in the league before the injuries...not that that matters), it's about how ridiculous this entire league is in terms of their personnel decisions.
  2. Clove

Clove Shrinkage

38,694 Messages
    1,568 Likes Received
    Yeah man, I feel ya. But this is how it is. Win or go home, no excuses. Except for Tony and the GM.
  3. DOUBLE WING

DOUBLE WING Well-Known Member

3,126 Messages
    718 Likes Received
    I believe your record are what you says you are. Ultimately, you're going to win some games and you shouldn't win and lose some games you shouldn't lose. You're going to have situations like the Bears had this year and in other years, it will work in reverse other years.

Eventually, it will all even out and the cream will rise to the top.
  4. TwoDeep3

TwoDeep3 Well-Known Member

6,157 Messages
    1,922 Likes Received
    Results, not excuses.

So many want to make excuses for this player, that coach, the GM, Mr. Owner.

This is a game. In this game they keep score. The score dictates who won and who lost. Teams that win a certain number of games go into a tournament. It is single elimination, so the team that wins moves on to the next round. The loser goes home.

Ultimately there are two teams playing for the championship. One will win.

That is the game. There are no shades of gray. It is black and white. No asterisk. No excuses.

Winning is the sole purpose of the game. Anything short is failing.

This is as clear cut as it can be. Even at the player level it is not about skin color, religion, politics, likability, good looks.

It is about who delivers the best on the field with the most consistency.

This is not wine. This will always be served up before it's time. So complaining about giving someone enough time to create an identity isn't in the cards.

This is about winning. On the field and in the bank account.

The fan is fickle, and with all the sports available, there are options. Owners are aware of this.

That is why they have the pass interference rule. Because it puts a premium on scoring to entice the fan to stay tuned.

6-3 contests are boring. This is a fast paced society that wants to be thrilled.

So there are no excuses for losing, and people lose their jobs if they do not win.

Fair or unfair, tough toenails, that's the game.

This is why I look at the tenure of Garrett and scratch my head. He has never delivered that winner at any level of coaching in this game.

But the man behind the curtain deems he is the golden boy, and thus we have what we have.

So you have to ask yourself this.

To Jerry Jones, is winning more important than earning?

Per Forbes magazine:

The Cowboys are the sports world’s second most valuable team with a worth of $1.81 billion. Jerry Jones‘ $1.25 billion stadium, which opened in 2010, features more than just a 152-foot-wide HD TV screen. Cowboys Stadium has 320 luxury suites and 15,000 club seats that generate more than $100 million annually in premium seat revenue for Jones. America’s Team has also signed a host of lucrative sponsorship deals with the likes of AT&T, Bank of America, Ford Motor and PepsiCo.

So, over the last 23 years Jones has grown from a franchise worth about 145 million to 1.81 billion. Most of that after the Championships in the early nineties.

So I ask again.

Is Jones in it to win it, or in it to get rich? And has his leadership over the last fifteen years proven one way or another which way he truly leans on this issue?
  5. iceberg

iceberg detoxed Zone Supporter

28,202 Messages
    1,262 Likes Received
    i simply refuse to give any credibility to anyone who uses the beat to death phrase "in it to win it".
  6. TwoDeep3

6,157 Messages
    1,922 Likes Received
    How about....in it for the Benji's or the Lombardi's?

I didn't realize you had this high a level of sensibility.
  7. iceberg

28,202 Messages
    1,262 Likes Received
    You use cliches to describe something, then to me you don't understand the fundamentals, just get mad at them.
  8. TwoDeep3

6,157 Messages
    1,922 Likes Received
    Super Bowls or money rolls?
  9. iceberg

28,202 Messages
    1,262 Likes Received
    Tidy bowles right now. Need to update my bathroom
  10. TwoDeep3

6,157 Messages
    1,922 Likes Received
    Bring the trophy back or money sacks?
  11. iceberg

28,202 Messages
    1,262 Likes Received
    Take away the twitter generation or spend another second wondering what you're saying