1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

A Serious Question Regarding Offensive Line Issue

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Verdict, Mar 1, 2013.

1. ghst187

ghst187 Well-Known Member

5,603 Messages
    157 Likes Received
    totally agree! Much harder to find a T than G. If Livings got back to playing decently, Berny moves to C and does decent then we got a top 3 T at 18 in the draft we could shore it up with a probably starting caliber G in the second or even better in FA with the guy from the Patriots that has been brought up as a possible target for us. Sure would be great to get a G and C with our first two picks and upgrade the interior but that would essentially mean the Livings and Berny signings were a complete bust. I don't think they're THAT bad. If you have two good Ts and one good G you can run the ball and protect the QB pretty well. If you can't find one decent G in the late rounds, UDFA, or FA then the scouting dept needs to do better.
    Still rueing the 2009 draft where we wasted 12 picks. If we had traded all 12 of them to move up just a few spots in the second and gotten Unger....our situation would be completely different along the OL. Wow. Even more sadly, most posters here knew what a complete botch that draft was immediately and as it was happening. Yet our scouting dept didn't.
  2. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,867 Messages
    1,708 Likes Received
    The main reason I want a guard high this year is because of our complete TOTAL failure to draft one anywhere else.
  3. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,771 Messages
    10,057 Likes Received
    The interior is all time bad. We have a 0% chance of winning anything with those stiffs on the field. Healthy or not. You need NFL caliber talent.
  4. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,771 Messages
    10,057 Likes Received
    I think you're right on what will actually happen. It's a bad idea, so it sounds like the plan.
  5. conner01

conner01 Well-Known Member

2,892 Messages
    389 Likes Received
    i think costa will return at center, parnell will replace free. then if we replace bernie with a solid guard i think the oline can be decent. maybe not great but decent and that is a major improvement over what we had last year. to me free and bernie have to be replaced as starters and free needs to be cut
  6. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,375 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    That's what I think as well.

My only issue with this scenario is that I don't trust Costa yet. I would really like to draft another interior OL who can play OC/OG to provide more competition - along with getting a solid FA OG in FA.

I think this is doable as well. One quality FA and one good draft pick.
  7. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

32,017 Messages
    7,761 Likes Received
    Yep. With Mack backing up at C, though, and a highly-rated rookie G, that interior OL doesn't look so bad. You'd have Leary pushing Livings, Mach pushing Costa, and two high picks at LT and the other G position.

Then RT becomes the question mark. With Parnell, Cook, and whatever vet/Free replacement we end up with. Maybe not great, but a serviceable OL.
  8. mmillman

mmillman Well-Known Member

2,153 Messages
    33 Likes Received
    four out of five spots on the offensive line are mediocre our worse. no team has a pro bowler at every spot but four out of five is a terrible line. I would like to see a top guard moved in next to Smith. Over the next decade we can have a solid side at least
  9. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

9,012 Messages
    2,030 Likes Received
    Well take this in account. Costa was 500% better from 2011 to 2012. Anybody could tell that even with his very limited playing time.

Alot of people try and push their misery on everybody else when it comes to this team. Its no secret that alot of people who get paid to talk about nfl teams on tv radio former players included like what they see in dallas on a yearly basis. Broaddus brings this up alot, and he said sometimes players just dont buy into the posistion coaches.
  10. Verdict

Verdict Well-Known Member

3,454 Messages
    171 Likes Received
    Something tells me that they really don't want to start Parnell or Free at rt. I think our first round target is a RT if we get value there. I think they are keeping Free for now to keep from tipping their hand.
  11. Rogerthat12

Rogerthat12 DWAREZ

3,885 Messages
    251 Likes Received
    I have to agree, the interior is where Romo received most of the pressure because they played so bad inside.

We must do something to remedy this interior or it WILL be more of the same!
  12. Beast_from_East

Beast_from_East Well-Known Member

15,499 Messages
    2,912 Likes Received
    Lane Johnson is the only OT (besides the big 2) that is starting caliber from day 1.

Problem is that he probably is going to be gone by 18. In fact, all 5 of the premium offensive linemen (the 3 OTs and the 2 Gs) might be gone by 18.
  13. Verdict

Verdict Well-Known Member

3,454 Messages
    171 Likes Received
    That may be true, but DeCastro fell farther than anyone thought he would last year too, and he was widely praised as the best guard to come out of college in a decade.
  14. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

32,017 Messages
    7,761 Likes Received
    Two OGs are unlikely to go before 18. If they do, we'll have a good DL option, and we'll be able to get a position upgrade at G still in the 2nd. We're in a good position to get a player at a position of need this year.
  15. Fredd

Fredd Well-Known Member

3,982 Messages
    1,534 Likes Received
    I kinda like Fluker as a G, even though he played T @ 'bama...he has the size of a G and I believe that he played G early in his college career...I would think that he will go late in round #1, so a trade-back scenario could possibly result in him being a valid choice...
  16. erod

erod Well-Known Member

5,174 Messages
    2,379 Likes Received
    I'd take a guard, but I don't think one player would do it. I'd sign Levitre some way, some how. Than I'd draft tackle and guard in the first two rounds.

If the only thing Dallas did this offseason was build a dominant offensive line, I'd be thrilled.
  17. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

51,649 Messages
    5,561 Likes Received
    That bandwagon is getting full. But the reality is we won't dedicate that much resources to ensure it happens and we all know it.
  18. Joe Rod

Joe Rod When Keeping it Real Goes Wrong

8,525 Messages
    601 Likes Received
    I would hope they go for BPA regardless of position in the draft. Parnell looked decent in limited reps, but that could easily change when teams get a few full games of film on him. Free did great in his first season as starter in 2010, then Aldon Smith exposes his weakness in the second game of 2011 and down goes Doug Free. Parnell may not even be as good as Doug Free, is that so great?

The only sure fire starter on that line right now is Tyron Smith. Phil Costa, Kevin Kowalski, Parnell, O'Leary may or may pan out, but Romo and the run game will suffer mightily if they do not.

If the BPA is a Center, take the Center. If the BPA is a Tackle, take the tackle.
  19. AKATheRake

AKATheRake Well-Known Member

3,987 Messages
    291 Likes Received
    I think with what is out there in FA I get an OT there and draft 1 of the top 2 guards.

Parnell can be a very good backup on the swing. I am not relying on him to improve this line by starting.

2nd round we can get our DT/DE or OLB.

3rd round we can get our OLB or safety.

I would re-sign Sims as he can play inside and out in the 4-3 and be a very good ILB back up or back up/contending OLB starter at fantastic value.

This is where the BPA/needs value will coincide IMHO.
  20. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    I'm really hoping Kellen Davis gets released by the Bears so we can take another crack at him. He's a sub-par receiver and a personna non-grata among Bears fans for it, but he's a good blocker. Almost too good from a receiving standpoint, because combined with the horrible Bears tackles and Cutler's tendency to hold onto the ball and force things downfield, he was asked to provide extra help to edge protection a lot.