1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

A Spencer and Dez

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by BTX, Nov 23, 2012.

1. BTX

BTX New Member

435 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    These two guys have stood out to me the last few weeks. They look like they are playing harder than every one else I would sign Spencer to a long term deal.
  2. TTexasTT

TTexasTT Well-Known Member

1,926 Messages
    737 Likes Received
    They are both standing out. Dez is looking like one of the best in the game.
  3. BTX

BTX New Member

435 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I agree about Dez. I have always liked Spencer more than most no one can deny he is balling this year.
  4. AdamJT13

AdamJT13 Salary Cap Analyst

15,070 Messages
    661 Likes Received
    He's looking like he could become one of the best, but he's not there yet. The fumble and not holding onto the touchdown catch at the end were two key plays.
  5. BTX

BTX New Member

435 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Ware,Lee,Carter,Spencer we have best LB'S in the league.
  6. rocyaice

rocyaice Well-Known Member

7,091 Messages
    1,137 Likes Received
    I feel like those two plays were GREAT plays by the corners to be honest.
  7. TTexasTT

1,926 Messages
    737 Likes Received
    I agree very much. I dont really hate on the fumble. Even Rice fumbled (no comparing the two yet) because he was fighting for yardage;

One thing Ive noticed is when we are down and need a big I find myself hoping they throw it toward Bryant.
  8. Howardlittleton64

Howardlittleton64 Benched

664 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I wouldn't time to start over.
  9. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,949 Messages
    7,698 Likes Received
    Interesting. I hope the opposite. I'm never quite sure if he's going to catch it, or not. On today's 4th down TD, I was gripping because I was pretty sure he was going to drop that.

I'm always shouting at my tv for them to throw it to Witten when we need one. And, now, Beasley, which is really weird.
  10. AdamJT13

AdamJT13 Salary Cap Analyst

15,070 Messages
    661 Likes Received
    And that was the difference in the game. They made the plays and we didn't.

They stick their hat on the ball, and we don't hold onto it. We stick our hat on the ball, and they do.

We hit the receiver coming down with the catch, and he holds onto it. We drop it.

Their receivers spun in the air to catch off-target passes for big plays, and we let them fall incomplete.

Their cornerback makes a play on the ball and catches it. Ours barely miss the ball and let the Redskins catch it.

If you want to be great, you've got to make great plays. You don't let your opponent make the play.
  11. TTexasTT

1,926 Messages
    737 Likes Received
    Perhaps youre a better judge than I. Wouldnt be the first time Ive been wrong... The Dez faith has been a while to develope. I just feel he is THE GUY that can go up and get it. THE GUY who can out run the bad guys.
    Not that I dont have faith in Witten, but he isnt the lethal vertical threat that Bryant is.
  12. 17yearsandcounting

17yearsandcounting Benched

2,391 Messages
    1,677 Likes Received
    Participation trophies and orange slices for erryone.
  13. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,949 Messages
    7,698 Likes Received
    Oh, I get it. Dez is the player on offense--along with Murray--most able of stepping up to be a superstar in this league. He's just spotty yet, in my book, on nailing the really big plays. He gets into position to make the play, for sure. But he sometimes drops them or lands with his hand just out of bounds. I also worry that he's not going to be where he needs to be on the inside crossing routes.
  14. TTexasTT

1,926 Messages
    737 Likes Received
    Fantastic post. The best part is how it really hits home with the point the OP was making. Genius stuff. Wonderful sources, stats and comparisons. The points you made are beyond debate.

Agreed. He is still pretty green and should be further along at this point. I would be much more concerned if I felt he wasnt improving and didnt show desire. I feel his reputation of being a complete ****** are blown way outta proportion. Hes got the right people working with him. Witten and Romo, and even Austin are fantastic coworkers IMO. They will keep bringing him along. He is already very very good. His development will be fun to watch.
  15. CalCBFan

CalCBFan Active Member

1,232 Messages
    22 Likes Received
    How long has Spencer been here? Three? Four? years? This is the first year I've seen him make any plays. Ironic how it's a contract year. Where's he been the rest of the time. Half of it is on the injured list. When I see a guy in a contract year showing that can make big plays, when he hasn't done it much in the past, I have to wonder just how much desire he will have after he gets the big payday. I wouldn't make signing him a priority. I'd try and look for something better in the draft...
  16. BTX

BTX New Member

435 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Spencer has always been the most underrated player on this team the several years in my humble opinon. I always liked him I say wrap him up to a long term deal.
  17. Thomas82

Thomas82 Active Member

1,221 Messages
    24 Likes Received
    Also the best nicknames:

MLBs - Bruce Lee (Bruce Carter & Sean Lee)
    OLBs - The 1-8-7 Tandem (D-Ware & Spencer: 94+93=187)
  18. TTexasTT

1,926 Messages
    737 Likes Received
    Really? He has always been good, just overshadowed by Ware. He is going to be expensive though.
  19. Ren

Ren Well-Known Member

11,090 Messages
    488 Likes Received
    Probably cause you weren't looking, it became so fasionable to hate him this offseason and blame him for everything that went wrong last year that a lot of people actually convinced them selves he sucks. Reality is what Spencer is doing now is not much different from what he's always been doing the only difference is people look at him for a scapegoat and expect bad and ain't getting it, so they're surprised.
  20. neosapien23

neosapien23 Well-Known Member

2,777 Messages
    61 Likes Received
    I would not sign Anthony Spencer to a long term deal. He is going to get paid this next year and Dallas still has to lock down both Lee and Carter. Thats not to say his loss is not going to hurt, this is the best football I've seen Spencer play. But this is why you don't sign the Doug Frees, Orlando Scandricks, and Miles Austins to long term contracts after limited success. All three look like bad contracts. Doug Free and Scandrick blow and Austin is officially injury prone. I think Spencer is going to turn out like Greg Ellis with his best football being played in the 2nd part of his career.