1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

A team without a home

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by erod, Oct 2, 2012.

1. cajuncocoa

cajuncocoa Bleeding silver and blue Zone Supporter

2,466 Messages
    382 Likes Received
    Unfortunately, Jerry won't care about that. As long as he gets his money, he will laugh at us all the way to the bank.
  2. TheCoolFan

TheCoolFan Well-Known Member

7,335 Messages
    277 Likes Received
    If I ever have a son, one thing that is unfortunate is that he'll never get to experience what a true gameday atmosphere is at an NFL stadium. Oh well, at least we'll have comfy chairs...I'll probably have a bad back by then
  3. cajuncocoa

2,466 Messages
    382 Likes Received
    Yes, I know. And it won't change 16 years down the road, so long as the Jones family owns this team. :(

Good grief...I just realized, we could become the Chicago Cubs of the NFL. :banghead:
  4. gmb85

gmb85 Active Member

1,486 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    I think I've let it sink in that I will never see the Cowboys in another Super Bowl ever again. Well...not with Jerry as the GM.
  5. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

119,058 Messages
    2,974 Likes Received
    Thank you. So would 31 other teams. If we don't buy the seats, other teams fans will. That is a fact.

Not putting money in the team's coffers results in 2 things detrimental to the fans.

1. They raise prices to cover losses.

2. They have less money to try and actually pay scouts and other expenses that do build the team.

I get the frustration. I really do. But it is as effective in solving the issue as pissing up a rope.
  6. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,652 Messages
    1,481 Likes Received
    What do you mean? This is the biggest, greatest, shopping mall/ art gallery ever!
  7. McLovin

McLovin Well-Known Member

3,528 Messages
    1,220 Likes Received
    Ultimately it is the product on the field. DO you want to shell out another $100-200 on food, parking, traffic, etc, to go watch this in person? Or recoup some money and watch them on TV?

On TV, there is a morbid curiosity that says, "No way they can look worse than than [insert game/drive] here." Then it happens. Akin to a car wreck

When you blow double digit leads in the last 5 minutes, its great TV, drama, and anomalies. When you continually get beat by 20 pts and only put up 16pts in victory (with a mess of TOs and miscues), that's a lot of effort and time investment to go watch it.
  8. gmb85

gmb85 Active Member

1,486 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    Can't wait to see the next Papa John's commerical. Go Jerrah!:lmao:
  9. cowboys102030

cowboys102030 Member

285 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    Why should this be surprising? The Cowboys have been a .500 team for over a decade. I don't blame Cowboys fans for not wanting to stomach this garbage. More power to the visiting fans in our stadium... It reflects the kind of football Jerry Jones has put out on the field.
  10. DallasCowpoke

DallasCowpoke Fierce Allegiance

5,429 Messages
    194 Likes Received
    Well, I was born about the same time the Cowboys went to their 1st TC, if that helps you. I traveled quite extensively during the 5 decades since to away games as well.

It boggles my mind that people can't figure out the reason there's an increase in the opposition's fans at EVERY stadium. Especially when YOU'RE LOGGED ONTO IT RIGHT NOW! :rolleyes:
  11. DallasCowpoke

DallasCowpoke Fierce Allegiance

5,429 Messages
    194 Likes Received
    :confused:
    I'm not criticizing you, I'm actually agreeing w/ you.
  12. cowboy_ron

cowboy_ron You Can't Fix Stupid

4,234 Messages
    295 Likes Received
    It seems like every week this topic is brought up in different forums as to why the # of fans from opposing teams seems higher than in other stadiums and I continue to post basically the same response:

DFW is a corporate mecca where many large corporations have relocated to...with a major international airport right in the middle for convenient travel....with that means relocating key personnel from wherever they relocated from..those relocated employees didn't give up their allegiance to their team because of a career move which is why we see a lot of opposing fans from virtually every team.
  13. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

119,058 Messages
    2,974 Likes Received
    I wasn't sure. I did think there was a possibility of that. I just wanted to clarify that I am for our fans in their stadiums. I am against their fans in ours. I want our stadium louder. I want more wins. I am pro Dallas Cowboys. Always.
  14. erod

erod Well-Known Member

5,169 Messages
    2,343 Likes Received
    While that's true, Ron, that's oversimplifying what is happening.

Dallas has been that for a LONG time, but even back in the good times of the 90s, you didn't see numbers like this. Trust me. Not even the Steelers, who used to get about a 30 share at Texas Stadium.

These fans are brimming with confidence that they're going to watch their team slaughter us in our own backyard. They can feel it coming, and the concourse turns into a massive chest bump parade for the other team.
  15. cajuncocoa

2,466 Messages
    382 Likes Received
    No argument there; you're absolutely right. So, what CAN we do? What is the answer? How can we get our point across the current situation is unacceptable?

Even as I type the questions, I already know the answer: there really isn't much we CAN do. If we're not winning, someone else is, and their fans will buy the tickets, fill the seats, get $10 beers and stale popcorn at the concession stand, and take a t-shirt or two home. The owners get paid 1/32 of that (and the whopping TV contract) no matter which team is winning. They seriously do not care.
  16. cowboy_ron

cowboy_ron You Can't Fix Stupid

4,234 Messages
    295 Likes Received
    The Dallas fanbase has been like that as far as I can remember...DFW will not financially support a losing team...see the Texas Rangers for example...I think with the Cowboys we got spoiled early on with the success the team had in a short period of time and we expect it every year now. We're not a patient fanbase at all.
  17. erod

erod Well-Known Member

5,169 Messages
    2,343 Likes Received
    Yes, but never were the percentages in the crowd in this range. Even those Steeler fans, although very loud, took over like what I'm seeing there these days from MULTIPLE fan bases. I'm talking 40+ percent of the stadium.

I've seen it at Cowboys Stadium from the Saints, Giants, Eagles, Bears, Redskins (who stink), and even the Lions. Shoot, the Bucs had a decent showing last week.
  18. THUMPER

THUMPER Papa

9,522 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I went to about half the Lakers home games in the 80s and the Forum was ROCKING back then! I haven't been to a game at Staples (since I live in NC now) but from what I see on TV it is nowhere near as loud as the Forum was. Different crowd for sure.
  19. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

10,418 Messages
    5,953 Likes Received
    this will not be the worst of it too. if we fall off a cliff after the bye, steelers fans will make it a solid 50% of the crowd.
  20. CowboyMike

CowboyMike Stay Thirsty, My Friends

5,218 Messages
    142 Likes Received
    Cowboys fans are spoiled. Simple as that. The past success has brought on an attitude of entitlement. When the Cowboys aren't doing well, our fans don't want anything to do with the team. Many 'fans' are fair weather fans that became fans because we were winning Super Bowls.

My best friend all through my childhood was what I thought was a die hard Cowboys fan, and so was his family. He'd get Cowboys memorabilia for each birthday. Then, all of a sudden, we missed the playoffs in 1997, and he was a Jaguars fan because they made the AFC championship the year before and he "liked the colors."

Yeah, the ticket prices are ridiculously high, but the big difference is that our fan base has a culture of not really being fans unless the Cowboys are winning. It sickens me. You stay with your team through thick and thin. Heck. Browns fans have an amazing fanbase because they've united in their continuous struggle. Winning now and then makes it that much sweeter for them. Us? Well, we just take our toys and go home.

It's become our culture to blame everything on Jerry. Yeah he has a hand in this, but look in the mirror too. We're in this together.

Cowboys fans are spoiled. What's ironic is that you're spoiled by Jerry because he gave you three Super Bowls. It's like a child being showered with gifts and then when his parents cut him off, he hates them.

So stop complaining, stop pointing fingers, and actually try to evaluate yourself as a fan, and be a better fan for your team. That's all you can do.

And that, ladies and gentleman, is my last post at the CowboysZone. Good riddance. Have a nice life.