1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

A Way Too Early For This Crap Mock Draft

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Hostile, Sep 23, 2011.

1. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,355 Messages
    1,337 Likes Received
    We don't have any traded picks. We shouldn't receive any Comp picks. I am assuming we will be picking around 25 to 26 of each round.

1st round...Ray Ray Armstrong, SS, Miami, 6'4", 215.
    I think the secondary issues have to be addressed. We cannot rent Safeties a year at a time. It is time to stabilize the position through the Draft.

2nd round...Robert Lester, FS, Alabama, 6'2", 210. There are the bookends at Safety. Turn them loose and let them go.

3rd round...Brandon Boykin, CB, Georgia, 5'10" 185. Continuing the shore up of this secondary is crucial given age and free agency.

4th round...Juron Criner, WR, Arizona, 6'4", 215.
    My yearly homer pick. You're looking for the next TO? A WR taken in the 3rd or 4th round who has the stamp of greatness in him? Here he is. Goes and gets the ball then turns upfield and makes things happen. With Miles and Dez could give us the best WR Trio for years.

5th round...Mychal Kendricks, ILB, California, 6'0", 240. Rob Ryan's Draft gets better. with ILB depth and attitude.

6th round...Don Barclay, OT, West Virginia, 6'4", 310.
    Need some depth to develop now that we can.

7th round...Mike Ryan, OT, Connecticut, 6'5", 335.
    Echo.
  2. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Ray Ray Armstrong...good athlete, not a good safety at this point, and certainly not good enough to be taken in the 1st round.

Juron Criner...good WR prospect in the mold of Alvin Harper, Michael Floyd. The next TO? C'mon man.
  3. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,192 Messages
    275 Likes Received
    right now our safeties are good enough to not draft a over rated safety in the first two rounds.

1st round...Ray Ray Armstrong, SS, Miami, 6'4", 215
    Ray Ray sucks, way over rated. he is a in the box safety and thats it, he has no range

2nd round...Robert Lester
    is a SS if anything, and I don't even think he is that great, he might be a late 2nd round pick but I don't like him and odn't think he fits Ryan defense.

look at interior OL, DL, ILB, and CB in the first two rounds. this coming up draft doesn't have any great safties, especially any 1st round talent safties.
    T.J. McDonald might be the best safety in this draft. The guy is all over the place on the filed.

Markelle Martin is #2.
  4. Bluefin

Bluefin Well-Known Member

2,971 Messages
    87 Likes Received
    The Dallas Cowboys are long overdue in adding a player from the U, I like having a Hurricane or two on the roster.

The teams loves the SEC, but seems to ignore players from the state of Florida for some reason.

We haven't drafted any Miami players since WR Kevin Smith and LB Darrin Smith in the second round back in 1993.

There's been way too much talent there to ignore the school for such a long time, IMO.

However, love the Caines as I might, I don't think the team will want a 6-4 safety. And even though the safeties are basically interchangeable in Rob Ryan's scheme, 2nd year undrafted SS Bary Church looks poised to challenge for a starting job next summer.

The NFL is such a pass happy league now, safeties must be able to hold up in coverage more than ever. Church went undrafted despite being a 4 time All-MAC selection due to concerns over his 40 time and ability to handle coverage assignments (he's simply a good player, IMO).

Fellow 2nd year undrafted FS Danny McCray is also showing promise in the dime after being labeled a career special teamer as a rookie, but he isn't expected to challenge to start next season (if ever).

I think Abram Elam will return and be paired with Church in '12.

Safety needs an influx of youth, though, and one player who really bears watching is Arizona S/CB Robert Golden.

Rafael Vela chats with NFP's Wes Bunting every week and he loves Golden. Bunting says Golden can cover and tackle, traits always in demand in the NFL, and comes with good instincts.

UCLA safety Tony Dye came up in an earlier chat as another fluid player who can tackle (you must tackle well to play for Rob Ryan).

And what about cornerback?

We all know Terence Newman will be released following the season, and even though the team has Mike Jenkins on the right and expects Orlando Scandrick to take T-New's place on the left, CB might prove to be the smart play in round one next April.

Nebraska's Alphonso Dennard (listed 5-10, may be shorter) hasn't played yet this year, but Buckeye WR Niles Paul told Bunting last year he was better than Prince Amukamara.

Bunting said it was obvious Dennard was much more physical than Amukamara and he'll likely grade him higher. He went on to say Dennard just needs to clean up his technique this season. Smaller corners tend to slide, so I'll be watching to see how he measures.

Be it CB or S, we need players who can cover and make sure tackles in one on one situations.
  5. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

13,793 Messages
    875 Likes Received
    No no to Ray Ray in round 1.
  6. silverbear

silverbear Semi-Official Loose Cannon

24,188 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Not with the history of that team and its players winking at NCAA rules (more accurately, crapping on them)...

My take is if you'll take shortcuts, skirt the rules in college, then you're the kind who takes the easy way out... and IMO, to be successful in the NFL, you have to be able to do it the right way, no shortcuts...

Given Jason Garrett's emphasis on character, I wouldn't expect the Boys to draft too many players from that school until the climate down there changes (not the South Florida climate, you know what I mean, LOL)... However, love the Caines as I might, I don't think the team will want a 6-4 safety. And even though the safeties are basically interchangeable in Rob Ryan's scheme, 2nd year undrafted SS Bary Church looks poised to challenge for a starting job next summer.

Yes, indeed...
  7. Zaxor

Zaxor Virtus Mille Scuta

8,399 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    :( meh not thrilled about that draft either again it is okay but leaves you wanting more
  8. Manwiththeplan

Manwiththeplan Well-Known Member

4,820 Messages
    187 Likes Received
    Not to pick on you, but how many Miami Hurricanes played in pivotal roles for the Packers and Steelers last year? How about the Saints and Colts in 09'? How bout the Steelers and Cardinals in 08'? Or Even the Pats and Giants in 07'?

There wasn't any school better at churrning out NFL talent, than Miami from like 99'-04' maybe 05' or 06', but the talent hasn't been there the last few seasons.
  9. Bluefin

Bluefin Well-Known Member

2,971 Messages
    87 Likes Received
    I'm not going to smear the entire team with the same brush.

I don't doubt there are plenty of bad apples there, and they should be duly avoided, but there are always some good guys that can be found.

And while I do miss having Hurricanes on the team, my bigger point was that Dallas largely ignores the entire state of Florida in the draft process.

I just thinks it's weird.

No worries.

CB Sam Shields was ultra important in the Green Bay Packers stretch run last season.

WR Reggie Wayne is the weapon in the passing game in Indianapolis.

WR Anquan Boldin was a huge part of the Arizona Cardinals making it to a Super Bowl.

NT Vince Wilfork has been the center of New England's defense for years.

The New Orleans Saints are counting on big things from TE Jimmy Graham going forward.
  10. Manwiththeplan

4,820 Messages
    187 Likes Received
    I PM'd AdamJT13 a few months back and we *may* get one for Bowen. He said it was too early to speculate but Hurd/Elam *should* cancel out.

Kenyone Coleman was cut, so he doesn't count.
    Derrick Dockery was cut (and signed after the preseason) and won't count.

So we *should* recieve one for Bowen, likely in the 5th.
  11. Manwiththeplan

4,820 Messages
    187 Likes Received
    a third corner between the 2 teams, get what I'm saying?

drafted in 2001, this ain't your fathers Miami anymore

Florida State Seminole, not a Hurricane

Major contributor, but one of the few.

Going foward, big things are expected from a lot of players, but sometimes nothing ever materializes.

All in all, no school warrants taking a player just to fill a quota and if it did, it wouldn't be Miami
  12. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,355 Messages
    1,337 Likes Received
    Aha, I was not aware Coleman was cut.
  13. Manwiththeplan

4,820 Messages
    187 Likes Received
    Yup, he was cut before the lockout with a few others.
  14. DIAF

DIAF DivaLover159

4,009 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    I don't really know if Boykin will be a good CB at the next level. He plays pretty well at the SEC level, but still gets beat some and doesn't always make plays on the ball. The thing that gets his name in the papers and on sportscenter are his kick returns, and now his double-duty on offense from time to time. He's almost like UGA's version of Devin Hester.
  15. silverbear

silverbear Semi-Official Loose Cannon

24,188 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I usually wouldn't either, but the lawlessness at that program has been so widespread that I don't trust any of their players to be innocent... in fact, I believe that a lot of the prospects who choose to go there make that choice precisely because there has been such a loose, "anything goes" atmosphere around the program...

And y'know, as far as I'm concerned, that's as valid an opinion as "it's been too long since we had a player from the U" is...
  16. The Realist

The Realist Active Member

3,284 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Do you receive a comp pick when the free agent you lose was undrafted?
  17. jblaze2004

jblaze2004 Well-Known Member

8,238 Messages
    246 Likes Received
    i hope so. He turned out to be a good player and signed a big contract which should help and our favor regarding comp picks.
  18. JonJon

JonJon Injured Reserve

10,995 Messages
    123 Likes Received
    If we somehow come away with this draft, I might need surgery to remove the smile from my face.
  19. Manwiththeplan

4,820 Messages
    187 Likes Received
    any free agent lost could qualify if they meet the critera (mainly contract size). we would even get one for Brooking if someone signed him to a large enough deal.
  20. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

32,639 Messages
    396 Likes Received
    Me as well.