1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

ABC Covers UP Online Poll on Democratic Debate

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by Sasquatch, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Lost in the Woods

4,451 Messages
    131 Likes Received
    Kucinich Wins Debate Poll, ABC Covers Up Results

Presidential candidate Dennis Kucinich's supporters (and, according to his website, even some non-supporters) are demanding that ABC explain its actions of the last few days.

On Monday afternoon, Congressman Kucinich took a significant lead in the ABC online poll: Who won the Democratic debate? About the time that he took that lead, ABC removed the poll from its prominent position on the ABC website. Then a new poll suddenly went up, "Who is winning the Democratic debate?"

Those events could be seen as technical glitches, but there was more to come. Kucinich took the lead in the second poll, also, and that poll, too, was dropped. ABC also "forgot" to announce the results (Kucinich tied with Sen. Hillary Clinton as the winner), and news about the poll is nowhere to be seen on the ABC website. Kucinich was also cut out of a group photo of all the candidates in the debate.

It's a wonder viewers were even able to vote for Kucinich in the poll. He was not permitted to answer a question from debate moderator George Stepahnopoulis until the debate had been under way for half an hour.
    So far, the network has failed to respond to questions about these events.

LINK
  2. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

32,857 Messages
    622 Likes Received
    That Clinton magic at work.
  3. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

60,483 Messages
    3,770 Likes Received
    Does not shock me.

You take Ron Paul on the Republican side and Little Man with hot wife on the democrats side.

Notice that neither get the press or backing of their parties because their parties are more interested in names like Hillary, Obama, Rudy and Romney.

I read somewhere that Ron Paul won the Alabama Straw Poll by a pretty good margin. However I never saw it on a major news site.
  4. Sasquatch

4,451 Messages
    131 Likes Received
    Well, what else are you supposed to do when you can't win on your own merits? Having the debate moderated by Clinton's ex (and I use the term loosely) communication advisory was a travesty of journalistic impartiality.

More on George S.:

Ruben Navarrette
    In praise of long shots
    August 22, 2007

Long-shot presidential hopefuls may not get elected, but they do tend to grow on you -- especially when they're being marginalized, insulted and picked on by everyone else. With the first primaries about 150 days away, the front-running candidates and the media elite no doubt prefer to simplify things by getting rid of those who are given no chance to win. And I thought the job of thinning out the crop of candidates went to voters, not to the powerful and the powerbrokers.

Try telling that to George Stephanopoulos. In a recent interview with Ron Paul, a Republican congressman from Texas, host of ABC's "This Week" asked the candidate for his definition of success. Paul responded that it was to win. "That's not going to happen," Stephanopoulos told him. The candidate asked the host if he was willing to bet "every cent in your pocket" that Paul couldn't win. Without hesitating, Stephanopoulos said, "Yes."

Ouch.

Then it was Mike Gravel's turn. In an interview, Stephanopoulos asked the former senator which Democrat he intended to ultimately support. "I'm going to vote for myself," Gravel responded. "But you're not going to be president," Stephanopoulos told him.

Double ouch.

On Sunday, Stephanopoulos moderated the latest debate among the eight Democratic candidates -- which, apparently, by the ABC newsman's count, is about six candidates too many. For Stephanopoulos and others in the media, the contest is between Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama. And to prove it, Stephanopoulos kicked off the debate in Des Moines with what he described as the "two questions that have really been dominating this race so far."

"Is Barack Obama ready to be president, experienced enough to be president?" he asked. "And can Sen. Clinton, Hillary Clinton, in part because of your experience, bring the country together and bring about the kind of change that all of you say the country needs?"
    Not the candidates' positions on issues or strength of character or leadership qualities, but the horse race narrowed down to two candidates.

Some candidates were so hungry for airtime that they actually took the bait and offered opinions about what sort of president Obama or Clinton might make. It was painful watching most of the other candidates degrade themselves by morphing into political analysts.
    Only Rep. Dennis Kucinich had the character to refuse to play along. He blasted the debate as "insufficient" and scolded Stephanopoulos for "trying to polarize people out of the race." And, Kucinich insisted, Americans should have a real choice, not one based on polls.

Bravo. Like I said, the long shots can grow on you. But can they, in the next few months, overcome the odds and grow their support to respectable levels?

Not likely. Some may prefer to think otherwise, but opinion polls do count. So do fundraising and the strength of one's campaign organization and the type of media coverage they get.

This will all sort itself out. But what's the rush? The field will be winnowed down soon enough. So why speed up the process? It's not fair to the candidates, and it's not healthy for our democracy.

That's the message we hear over and over again from the long shots. And by spreading it, they're making a valuable contribution. Campaign 2008 would be much duller without them.

LINK
  5. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

32,857 Messages
    622 Likes Received
    Fix an election?

:laugh2:
  6. Sasquatch

4,451 Messages
    131 Likes Received
    It's worked in the past, hasn't it? :D
  7. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    All this about an ONLINE poll. Which is without a doubt the most unscientific, easily corrupted thing there is.
  8. Mavs Man

Mavs Man All outta bubble gum

4,668 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    That goes without saying.

But the point is, would ABC, FOX, et. al. be so quick to pull polls or hide results if they were being won by Giuliani, McCain, Clinton, or Obama?
  9. Sasquatch

4,451 Messages
    131 Likes Received
    I don't think this is the campaign's point. ABC routinely reports viewer polls, and did so in this case, but in a way that distorted the real picture, essentially saying that Clinton came in a tie as the winner of the debate without mentioning that she had tied with Kucinich. I'm sure the Kucinich people see it as a way to attract attention to their candidate and their claims that the media is making a concerted effort to silence a message that threatens corporate (e.g., Disney) interests.

Even though we know why they did it, I'm curious to how ABC responds to these allegations, if they do at all. I suspect they'll just shrug it off as some contemptuous little annoyance and nothing will come of it.
  10. AtlCB

AtlCB Active Member

3,683 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I don't buy the fact that ABC is doing this to support its corporate interests. The company certainly hasn't done this in the past. I believe the actions are probably more along the lines of Stephanopolis pulling a few strings to help out his former pal.
  11. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    Stephie just does not want to join all the clinton enemies who now sleep with the fishes.
  12. Sasquatch

4,451 Messages
    131 Likes Received
    Your selective skepticism is showing again, AtlCB. :p:

What seems more plausible to you: legions of middle-class scientists making a concerted effort to falsify a theory of AGW or a huge corporate entity like Disney deliberately manipulating information in a way that protects their bottom line (Kucinich is for media reform) and their advertisers?

Disney hasn't deliberately tried to manipulate information in the past to protect its bottom line, you say? Consider this:

Disney asks UW to retract 'irresponsible' statement on baby videos

Tuesday, August 14, 2007
    Last updated 6:26 a.m. PT

By PAUL NYHAN
    P-I REPORTER

The Walt Disney Co. called on the University of Washington on Monday to retract a news release of a study on videos for infants, calling it "misleading, irresponsible and derogatory."

Last week, the UW issued a release to reporters with the title "Baby DVDs, videos may hinder, not help infants' language development," which highlighted research and mentioned Disney subsidiary Baby Einstein. The release and the research generated national media coverage.

In a letter to UW President Mark Emmert, Disney Chief Executive Robert Iger said the release misrepresented the underlying study, distorted its findings and ignored its shortcomings.

"In short, the university's press release was grossly unfair, extremely damaging, and, to be blunt, just plain wrong in every conceivable sense," Iger wrote.

Officials at the University of Washington are reviewing Iger's letter, which was made public Monday, and planned to talk to the paper's authors, Frederick Zimmerman, Dimitri Christakis and Andrew Meltzoff, according to a statement released through the UW public affairs office. The Journal of Pediatrics published their research.

On Monday, Iger called Emmert. The university president said the conversation was cordial and amicable. Iger did not threaten legal action, Emmert said.

"First of all, I made clear that we supported and stood behind our faculty's research. It was research that was well-conducted and published in one of the most important" pediatrics journals, Emmert said.

At issue is the news release, and the UW will review it over the next couple of days to check if it accurately reflects the underlying research, Emmert said. One of the study's authors worked with a public affairs writer in creating the news release, Emmert said.

Besides Baby Einstein, the release also mentions Brainy Baby. Both companies produce DVDs intended for infants.

In the letter, the Disney CEO offered a detailed critique of the news release. He pointed out that while the study claimed to rely on surveys of 1,008 parents, only 215 of the babies age 8 to 16 months watched TV, and he highlighted that the study was based on telephone surveys, not on observing infants.

"Our assessment, based on what we have been able to learn thus far, is that its methodology is doubtful, its data seem anomalous and the inferences it posits unreliable," Iger wrote.

In addition to Emmert, Iger's letter went to UW regents.
    Iger said the research lumped different types of videos into one category, instead of considering a video's content and how it was watched. It also didn't take into account the interactive nature of Baby Einstein and related products or control for the differing rates of development among infants.
    In addition to a retraction, Disney asked that a clarification "be disseminated as widely as the original press release."

Among the points Iger requested the UW emphasize are:
    "The study collected no specific data concerning -- and conducted no specific evaluation of -- the viewing of Baby Einstein videos or their specific impact on children, and therefore no valid conclusions can be drawn from the study about the impact of the Baby Einstein videos on language acquisition or any other developmental measure."

Since the review is continuing, Emmert said it would be premature to comment on any retraction. "I have very high confidence in my media" staff, Emmert said.

The disputed news release said overuse of baby videos and DVDs may slow the acquisition of vocabulary in babies ages 8 months to 16 months. It also said that parents hoping to help boost the learning of language by their babies may want to limit how much their children are exposed to videos, mentioning Baby Einstein and Brainy Baby.

It was the latest in a stream of recent research on the impact of television on young children.

LINK
  13. AtlCB

AtlCB Active Member

3,683 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Locate the post where I made this claim.

ABC has typically not taken a political stance. Unlike CNN (which tends to be very liberal) and Fox News (which tends to lean conservative), ABC tries to be more neutral when it comes to candidates and political parties. If anything, ABC tends to lean slightly to the left. This political leaning does not help their overall corporate interests.

I don't see how this applies to ABC supporting one candidate over another. Although I see this situation as unethical, I don't see how it applies to ABC's coverage of politics.
  14. BrAinPaiNt

60,483 Messages
    3,770 Likes Received
    :laugh2: :laugh2:
  15. Sasquatch

4,451 Messages
    131 Likes Received
    I'm not sifting through all your posts on global warming. BP would kill me if we continue that debate here. But that's my general impression of your position. I suppose it could be a misinterpretation of the data. Or maybe the data itself is unreliable. :D

And my point on Disney/ABC news is not that it favors one party over the other as blatantly as other networks, but that they make a concerted effort to control and present information in a way that coincides with the interests of their advertisers and their own. The way George S. interviews candidates on Sundays, the conduct of the debate, the post-debate coverage, the parent companies' attempt to intimidate the University of Washington are all examples of the drive to control information in order to influence public perception in way that is beneficial to themselves.
  16. AtlCB

AtlCB Active Member

3,683 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I have other problems with the theory, but that is a big one for me. That's the last I'll say on this topic on this thread, since we have a large thread already going about this subject.

OK. Fair enough.
  17. Eric_Boyer

Eric_Boyer Well-Known Member

4,395 Messages
    208 Likes Received
    He also won New Hampshire by a large majority.

I'm serious guys - if you want your issues to be solved you have to lookout side the box. The guys the media touts as 1st tier aren't going to solve our problems. They will bail out the banks, secure oil fields, and prop up the drug companies at the expense of our own interests just as they have been doing.

The system really is that corrupt. I hate to sound like a conspiracy theorist but we have been sold out by the corporations for a good long time now. They call the shots not we the people.
  18. BrAinPaiNt

60,483 Messages
    3,770 Likes Received
    I did not know about New Hampshire. Maybe you told me before and I forgot but I don't recall seeing it on a news show or web site. Just goes to further reinforce what we were talking about.

Oh, btw, do you have an extra tinfoil hat laying around. I lost mine and need another.:D
  19. Eric_Boyer

Eric_Boyer Well-Known Member

4,395 Messages
    208 Likes Received
    http://ronpauldaily.blogspot.com/2007/08/ron-paul-wins-nh-straw-poll.html

He who laughs last laughs loudest though. For 20 years I have felt our monetary policy wouldn't last my life time and have taken appropriate precautions.

I hate thinking what would happen to the rest of my fellow citizens if such an event transpires.

ps - Ron Paul is accused of spamming polls, but when Romney and the rest don't bus in voters, they don't do too well. Seems like they have to spam straw polls to do well.
  20. BrAinPaiNt

60,483 Messages
    3,770 Likes Received
    Do you ever find yourself knowing that something you want to happen will not happen?

Yet you start seeing things that are VERY positive and even though you warned yourself not to get too excited...you still find yourself getting excited and in the back of your head really thinking it COULD wind up happening.

This is what this current news does to me concerning Ron Paul.

I don't think he will win the primaries and therefore not the presidency. So I have prepared myself for that.

However when you see these kind of things it makes me get excited and in really hope that it could happen.