1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Abortion doc George Tiller gunned down at church

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by WoodysGirl, May 31, 2009.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

67,229 Messages
    7,059 Likes Received
    By Roxana Hegeman, Associated Press Writer – 4 mins ago

WICHITA, Kan. – Late-term abortion doctor George Tiller, a prominent advocate for abortion rights wounded by a protester more than a decade ago, was shot and killed Sunday at a church in Wichita where he was serving as an usher and his wife was in the choir, his attorney said.

Tiller was shot during morning services at Reformation Lutheran Church, attorney Dan Monnat said. Police said a manhunt was under way for the shooter, who fled in a car registered to a Kansas City suburb nearly 200 miles away.

National anti-abortion groups had long focused on Tiller, one of the nation's few providers of late-term abortions. In 1991, the Summer of Mercy protests organized by Operation Rescue drew thousands of anti-abortion activists to this city for demonstrations marked by civil disobedience and mass arrests.

Some abortion opponents had resorted to attacks against Tiller and his Women's Health Care Services clinic long before Sunday's shooting. A protester shot Tiller in both arms in 1993, and his clinic was bombed in 1985.

Anti-abortion group Operation Rescue issued a statement denouncing the shooting.

"We are shocked at this morning's disturbing news that Mr. Tiller was gunned down," said Troy Newman, Operation Rescue's president. "Operation Rescue has worked for years through peaceful, legal means, and through the proper channels to see him brought to justice. We denounce vigilantism and the cowardly act that took place this morning."

Capt. Brent Allred said Wichita police were looking for a gunman who fled in a 1993 light blue Ford Taurus registered in the Kansas City suburb of Merriam, Kan. No other details about the shooting were immediately released.

The phone line at the home of Tiller and wife, Jeanne, had a busy signal Sunday.

Tiller began providing abortion services in 1973. He acknowledged abortion was as socially divisive as slavery or prohibition but said the issue was about giving women a choice when dealing with technology that can diagnose severe fetal abnormalities before a baby is born.

"Pre-natal testing without pre-natal choices is medical fraud," Tiller once said.

After the 1991 protests, Tiller kept mostly to his heavily guarded clinic, although in 1997 he opened it to three tours by state lawmakers and the media.

Tiller remained prominent in the news, in part because of an investigation started begun by former Kansas Attorney General Phill Kline, an abortion opponent.

Prosecutors had alleged that Tiller had gotten second opinions from a doctor who was essentially an employee of his, not independent as state law requires. A jury in March acquitted Tiller of all 19 misdemeanor counts.

Abortion opponents also questioned then-Gov. Kathleen Sebelius' ties to Tiller before the Senate confirmed her this year as U.S. Health and Human Services Secretary. Tiller donated thousands of dollars to Sebelius over the years.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_tiller_shooting
  2. lewpac

lewpac Benched

1,465 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    WOW!

Don't miss O'Reilly tomorrow. He's been all over this Tiller guy for a few years now.

Pro-Life vs. Pro-Choice................round 3,245 coming up.
  3. Jon88

Jon88 Benched

7,665 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I can't believe the church allowed him to serve as an usher. Most churches wouldn't have anything to do with him.
  4. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,868 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Really? Then that's who the Left will no doubt blame for this murder.
  5. ninja

ninja Numbnuts

5,847 Messages
    736 Likes Received
    1) No big loss. No one will miss this scumbag.

2) What was this baby killer doing in church? He Kill babies Mon. through Sat. and goes to church on Sun.? Why? No way any sane individual would do that. What a nutjob.
  6. DIAF

DIAF DivaLover159

4,012 Messages
    18 Likes Received
    I was wondering how long it would be until someone posted something like this. 4 posts, took a lot longer than I thought.

Most abortion supporters don't think this is murder, they think its medicine and science. It's not as if to be pro-abortion you have to be crazy, or evil.
  7. JBond

JBond Well-Known Member

6,728 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    Not good. This will not help the battle of ideas. There are nuts on both sides.
  8. MetalHead

MetalHead Benched

6,031 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    +1...
  9. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,868 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    True. Last time I checked, cold-blooded murder was definitely the opposite of "pro-life."
  10. masomenos

masomenos Less is more

5,971 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I'm sure that the person who murdered Mr. Tiller believed that it was an act of pro-life through utilitarian justification. The act saved more lives than it took, therefor it's supporting life.

Not that I'm defending the killing.
  11. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,868 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I make no distinction between abortion docs and mass murderers either, but we're still a nation of laws.
  12. Jon88

Jon88 Benched

7,665 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    It made him feel better about what he did the other 6 days.
  13. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

67,229 Messages
    7,059 Likes Received
    Official: Suspect in custody in Kan. abortion doc's slaying

By ROXANA HEGEMAN
    Associated Press
    May 31, 2009, 2:56PM

WICHITA, Kan. — Late-term abortion doctor George Tiller, a prominent advocate for abortion rights wounded by a protester more than a decade ago, was shot and killed Sunday at his church in Wichita, his attorney said.

A Wichita city official, speaking on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to talk publicly about the case, said a suspect was taken into custody later Sunday. The official would not provide additional details. Earlier, police had said they were looking for a gunman who fled in a 1993 light blue Ford Taurus registered in the Kansas City suburb of Merriam, Kan.

<snip>
  14. MetalHead

MetalHead Benched

6,031 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Fixed.
  15. lewpac

lewpac Benched

1,465 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'm not "independent" on most issues and usually have a very hard line opinion. But, I'm neutral on the abortion issue. Largely because, each individual circumstance merits it's own judgment as far as I can tell. So I stay on the sidelines with regard to this powder-keg..........

That said, any action taken along these lines is pure vigilantism and wrong, as Roe vs. Wade is the law of the land. The crux of the issue usually is the line drawn between pure and extreme liberalism, and pure and extreme religious belief. I could tell what the Biblical version of abortion REALLY is, but I'm still stinging from 10 day recent ban. Needless to say, the party line "pro-life" religious sentiment is far removed from the truth.

Am I pro-abortion? Depends on the circumstance. I know what I'm NOT for sure, and that's taking matters into one's own hands and killing people over political or philosophical differences. If this technique were allowed and celebrated (as we've already seen here), then murder for disagreeing with the 55 MPH speed limit would be applauded. Because until further notice, it's the law.

One can pick an choose what laws they like or dislike. But that does not change those laws. If this were the case, we'd have nothing but chaos in this country. Marijuana use is probably the best example of this. Many people feel as though is should be legal and there's a "no harm, no foul" thing about it. Therefore, it's OK to smoke pot and should be no one's business buy their own................

If every law in this Country were approached like that, we'd have utter confusion and "Road Warrior" like conditions. Until further notice, abortion is legal in this country. Partial birth, third trimester, etc............it's legal, and we can't have people gunning down, in broad daylight, those they disagree with.
  16. Jon88

Jon88 Benched

7,665 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    LOL. I guess Karma is a you know what. That's just horrible what he did.
  17. MetalHead

MetalHead Benched

6,031 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    That is a reasonable stance.
    I consider myself a hardliner and won't try to hide it.
    In the abortion issue there are justifiable reasons to terminate a pregnancy:
    Rape.
    Incest.
    If the life of the mother is at risk.

Keep in mind that terminating a pregnancy has to be done in the VERY EARLY stages.
    Late term is murder out right(just like that swine that got killed in Kansas),and if you don't believe me,I got some grotesque pictures to make my point.
  18. ThaBigP

ThaBigP New Member

2,062 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Even as a pro-lifer in general, this sux. Big time. Shot to death in church? Does this not play straight into the recent DHS report that said terroristic threats could be found in pro-lifers, 2nd Amendment supporters, and the like?
  19. daschoo

daschoo Slanje Va

2,387 Messages
    169 Likes Received
    i thought we were completely oppossed on this issue until i read this post. what you have just written was the point i was trying to get across in the saudi beheading thread. the only way you ever have to consider late termination in that criteria is if their are late developing health issues which would have to be considered on a case by case basis in my opinion.

i still have difficulty seeing the logic in someone murdering in the name of pro-life though.
  20. MetalHead

MetalHead Benched

6,031 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    A sick guy killed another sick guy.