1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

ABQ Jr's Mock

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by ABQcowboyJR, Mar 2, 2012.

1. ABQcowboyJR

ABQcowboyJR Well-Known Member

2,837 Messages
    96 Likes Received
    Everyone is clamoring for Decastro @ 14, but i'm not seeing it. I don't think the boys will go this direction. I expect them to try and sign a G in FA and let the younger guards on the team man the other spot. Costa is safe for at least one more season.

1st - Dre Kirkpatrick
    He fills a major need with Newman all but out the door already. He is a big corner and showed that he has some speed at the combine. I was not a fan of him not running the 3 cone drill. I will be paying attention to his pro day for sure.
    Or
    -Stephon Gilmore
    Should Dre be gone or not show what I think he is capable of at his pro day I would take Gilmore. He is also a bigger corner that showed he has the agility and speed to play at the next level. I like what he did in college and think he can play in Rob's system. I like both of these guys because they have the capability of playing physical man coverage.

2nd - Jake Bequette
    I know that this is high for this kid right now, but I think he could be a late/quiet riser in this draft. He has the high motor that I'm looking for in the front seven. He has good college production and did play standing up at times. He had a good showing at the combine, which made me take a second look at him. He is a must have in my book. So i'd take him in the second.

3rd - Amini Silatolu
    If he is there in the third, which I highly doubt, I would take him in a heart beat. The upside here is tremendous. He is physically gifted and could turn into a very good starting guard on Sundays.
    Or
    - Mike Martin
    I love the way this kid plays. He reminds me a lot of Lissemore. I think he can be better, but he has that high motor that i'm looking for in the box.
    OR
    - Sean Spence
    This kid doesn't really fit into our system. I've fallen in love with his athleticism and play making ability. I think that he could be a great ST player for us and kind of play a linebacker/safety hybrid for us much like how McCray or Church do for us now.
    OR
    - Senio Kelemete
    I've had him and Brandon Washington ranked close for some time now. I just feel like Senio has a little more to offer mentally and his a little more fluid of an athlete. He fits into our smaller more athletic movement at the guard position. He played tackle and guard in college. I project him as a LG.

4th - Derek Wolfe
    I'm very intrigued by this kid. Flying pretty low on most people radar right now. I think he can come in and be a rotational guy for us at end.
    Or
    - Cliff Harris
    He is tons of trouble, but he has got tons of talent. He could be a dynamite return man for us. Its a gamble but i'd take it here.

Still working on the later rounds of the draft. But there are a few players that I have targeted.
    -Chris rainey
    -Fozzy Whitaker
    -Ryan Broyles

I also think that we should seriously consider trading Felix Jones this draft. His value is only only going down from here. I don't think he has shown enough to get resigned at this point. Lets cut our losses and move on.
  2. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,370 Messages
    1,401 Likes Received
    Wait for it.......

:laugh2:
  3. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I've got to say. This is the year that I'm most out of tune with the prospects from this draft.

I watched very little college football this year and probably even less ESPN when they talked about college football.

I figured the least I could do to half catch up is watch the combine and start digging through some of the players to get an idea of who they are and what they can do... No. Didn't happen. My stepmother passed away and I spent most of the combine in Texas with the family.

The family is definitely far more important the football or a stupid draft, but it sucks to be out of tune with it when I'm ready to turn my attention back to football.

The only two players I know of on this list is Dre Kirkpatrick and Cliff Harris.
  4. Phrozen Phil

Phrozen Phil Active Member

3,873 Messages
    13 Likes Received
    Intruiging. I disagree about Felix and I'm still a fan of DeCastro. Having said that, Kirkpatrick looks like decent value there. I don't know enough about Martin to venture an opinion and I'm wondering if Bequette is a reach at 2. I see risk (Harris, Spence, Broyles) and I like the big guys you chose. I've seen lots worse on this board. Nice to see the effort.
  5. Zaxor

Zaxor Virtus Mille Scuta

8,399 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    very good draft...I believe they might take a mid rnd center
  6. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,045 Messages
    1,049 Likes Received
    Where do you see Spence and his 12 reps fitting (dont put alot of weight on it but thats embarassing)? Try him at SS, like a poor mans Woody?
  7. ABQcowboyJR

2,837 Messages
    96 Likes Received
    I think he can play a safety hybrid kind of position. We are seeing more and more super athletic tight ends that are too big for a corner or safety but to fast for a linebacker. He would fit nicely in that kind of roll IMO.
  8. ZeroClub

ZeroClub just trying to get better

7,619 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    It'd be a whole lot safer for everyone if Costa rode the bench as a backup.

Better yet, sign an old FA Center to a short term contract, pencil him in to start, drop Costa, use Kowalski as backup and use the year to evaluate whether you believe Kowalski can hold his own as a starter in future years.
  9. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    you blew it in the second line where you said Costa was safe. Why take anything you said after that with any seriousness?
  10. ABQCOWBOY

34,370 Messages
    1,401 Likes Received
    Same reason we take anybody serious. It's an opinion.
  11. ABQcowboyJR

2,837 Messages
    96 Likes Received
    I know you'd like to have pro bowlers everywhere but you can't. I also don't think I made any comment about other FA additions outside of G. Costa has had his mistakes, however he is one of those players who really hasn't had an offseason. I'm not going to close the book on him yet. If we get a reliable vet through FA or draft a prospect we like, great. Other issues are more pressing right now.
  12. reddyuta

reddyuta Well-Known Member

5,543 Messages
    434 Likes Received
    I am sorry but our season is a non starter if Costa is our center ,he negatively affects everything we do on offense on a consistent basis.
  13. ABQcowboyJR

2,837 Messages
    96 Likes Received
    And what do you propose as a solution?
  14. reddyuta

reddyuta Well-Known Member

5,543 Messages
    434 Likes Received
    start with a FA center and draft one to be a backup(if they dont think Kowalski can play).my first plan will be target Wells but that may be too pricey for us.
  15. ABQcowboyJR

2,837 Messages
    96 Likes Received
    My stance is that I'd rather spend those FA dollars on a G and resign our own guys. Kowalski might be able to play, and like I said i'm not closing the book on Costa yet.
  16. ABQCOWBOY

34,370 Messages
    1,401 Likes Received
    I think Costa will be evaluated before anything happens. If we can find a decent Center in FA and if Callahan wants to go that route, then I'm OK with it but I agree with ABQJr. A real off season is needed and Costa is still a young player. He was never even a Center in college. He was a Guard. I think we should allow Callahan to make a judgement there before we do anything.
  17. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,045 Messages
    1,049 Likes Received
    I am, the guy cant play. Not Clay Shiver bad, but close enough.
  18. burmafrd

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received

obviously you never watched the O line during the games.

PFF rated Costa as 31 out of 32 centers in 2011.

Add to that the disaster of the Redskins game alone and others, why in the world anyone thinks costa is more than a JAG is truly mystifying
  19. burmafrd

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received

putrid does not even begin to describe Costa.

ANd more importantly I doubt ROMO can survive another season of Costa.
  20. ABQcowboyJR

2,837 Messages
    96 Likes Received
    The Oline didn't have a great year, they didn't have an offseason either. Not to mention the revolving door at G cause no one could stay healthy. The Oline is a very cohesive group. They need to play together and practice together a lot to be good. We have limited resources in FA. If we can find one on the cheap, and I mean dirt cheap, I'm all for it. We still have a lot of our own guys that need to be resigned.