1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Abstinence Only Not working, Feds Say After Study Found One In Four Girls Had STD

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by joseephuss, Apr 30, 2008.

1. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

21,958 Messages
    1,537 Likes Received
    http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7010767688

Abstinence Only Not working, Feds Say After Study Found One In Four Girls Had STD

Amy Beeman - AHN

Washington, D.C. (AHN) -- The federal government is deciding whether it will continue to fund abstinence only education in schools since the CDC released findings this year that one in four girls has a sexually transmitted disease.

Another reason some feel abstinence only programs do not work is that the U.S has one of the highest rates of teen pregnancy in developed countries, at about 750,000 a year.

The BBC in Washington reported that 17 states have already declined the funding.

According to CBS news, 14 states require abstinence and contraception education to be taught in schools. Nineteen states require abstinence only to be the rule, but will allow contraception education to be taught. The other 17 states do not relegate how the school boards handle sexual education.

Planned Parenthood President Cecile Richards was quoted by the BBC saying,"This national program which has wasted $1.5 billion of tax money is a failure and our teens are paying the price. We've been wasting money on programs that don't work and we're seeing the consequences every single day."

Roger Norman, abstinence only proponent said abstinence is about more than sex. He was quoted by the BBC as saying, "Self control leads to a happy, joyful life. If we can learn to control the most basic of drives - the sex drive - for good, then we can control drugs, gangs, alcohol and abusive anger."

_____________________________________________________________________________---

If you want to teach your kids abstinence only then that is your right to do that in your own home.

If they are using yours and my tax dollars to support sex ed, then it should be a more thorough approach than jusst an abstinence only program.

Of course I have always said, if they are teaching any sex ed in schools, then parents have the right to have their child not attend and opt out of those classes.
  2. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Bad Santa Staff Member

61,314 Messages
    4,649 Likes Received
    Abstinence only programs in PUBLIC schools is idiotic and only pushed by certain groups who are in denial of what high school kids do. But hey, we all know that lord forbid you teach about birth and std prevention it will only lead to more of both births and stds...I guess it MAY lead to more, just not as many as abstinence only programs.

<---Sits back and ways for a group to tell me a bunch of bull now.
  3. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
  4. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    So what this study is saying that 1 in 4 girls have stds, Right?

Which is 25%.

And as for the other 75%, what? They are STD free?

So we are going to lay the whole blame on Abstinence programs because 25% got a disease.

Yep, makes sense to me. :rolleyes:
  5. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,863 Messages
    1,706 Likes Received
    Its the BBC anyway. You know anything on America will be put by them in the worst possible way.

You notice that they do not mention all the other problems they cannot blame on abstinence.
  6. Jon88

Jon88 Benched

7,665 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Doesn't work. Just makes people curious.
  7. Jon88

Jon88 Benched

7,665 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Needs to trim his fingernails and shave. And the eyebrow. He's old man. It's over.
  8. ScipioCowboy

ScipioCowboy More than meets the eye. Zone Supporter

15,279 Messages
    2,469 Likes Received
    Furthermore, Cajun, the article never posits a direct a correlation between Abstinence Only Education and the 1 in 4 STD statistic.

In fact, the article explicitiy that all 50 states allow for contraception education. Fourteen states actually require contraception education, and 17 states have no regulations one way or the other.

In my opinion, the real problem here is a lack of parental involvement. The idea that highly personal subjects such as sex and intimacy can be properly addressed by a state-mandated education course is utterly ludicrous.

Unfortunately, our culture tends to glorify and romanticize promiscuous lifestyles, even to the point of implying that abstinance is abnormal. Only parental involvement can counteract these messages.
  9. Ben_n_austin

Ben_n_austin Benched

2,898 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    One in four girls, which means guess what fellas? :)
  10. Ben_n_austin

Ben_n_austin Benched

2,898 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    Wow, the reads like a spinning top.
    Parental involvement to suppress human nature-- good going pops.
  11. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Bad Santa Staff Member

61,314 Messages
    4,649 Likes Received
    :laugh2: :laugh2:
  12. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

21,958 Messages
    1,537 Likes Received
    So you only focused on the source? There are several articles on this topic and I just grabbed one. It didn't matter to me that it was from the BBC. If I had posted another article not from the BBC, would it matter that much to you? Same numbers and opinions in those non-BBC articles.

Congress is holding hearings on these topics and whether to further fund these programs. They are deciding on what to do with tax dollars that you and I pay. Congress is not relying on anything from the BBC. They are quoting numerous different studies.
  13. ScipioCowboy

ScipioCowboy More than meets the eye. Zone Supporter

15,279 Messages
    2,469 Likes Received
    I realize self-control can be a difficult task, but there are definitely some elements of human nature that should be suppressed...such as the urge to murder, for instance.

All things considered, I think my did pops did a good job.:D
  14. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Lost in the Woods

4,525 Messages
    182 Likes Received
    Don't indulge in the pleasures of the flesh, kids.

There, problem solved. :rolleyes:
  15. ConcordCowboy

ConcordCowboy Mr. Buckeye

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Teaching abstinence only in schools is going against these kids DNA and works as well as this time tested favorite...

[IMG]
  16. Cajuncowboy

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    You are right.

Some folks will never ever understand personal responsibility. Always looking for a way to cover mistakes and doing away with consequences.
  17. theebs

theebs Believe!!!!

22,213 Messages
    1,270 Likes Received
    Impossible. Who would ever have thought that telling teenagers simply not to have sex wouldnt work.

Wow I am shocked. I think they should pour another billion into it and cross the fingers and pray it works. Make sure and tell them which are the naughty parts.

Meanwhile Ted Haggard is banging male hookers and using meth. I wonder why these programs dont work?
  18. Cajuncowboy

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Wow. WHo would have thought that taking God out of school to start with we would have this problem.

Wow. I'm shocked. Impossible.

Hmmm, I know, let's tell them that if you do the wrong thing, don't worry, we'll just suck the baby into a sink. Or better yet, if for some reason you use the ABSOLUTELY FAIL SAFE METHOD of using a condom, but some how still get a disease, no worries, we'll just put you on some kind of program that the tax payers will have to pay because after all, it takes a village.

:rolleyes:
  19. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,863 Messages
    1,706 Likes Received
    Lets see: a media that glorifies sex, acting out, etc.
    The elites saying nothing is wrong or right; its all gray.
    Anyone with a religious lifestyle ridiculed.
    Personal responsibilty as a concept laughed at by the media and Hollywood, and all the rest.
    Punks and criminals and whores (Paris Hilton, etc) getting all the attention and those that do right ignored.
    Parents not bothering to teach children anything and leaving it all up to school systems that go with the current popular trend instead of trying to do the best they can for the children.
    And the abstinence program itself parodied and criticised and reviled by the elites and Hollywood and the media even before it started.
  20. The30YardSlant

The30YardSlant Benched

24,279 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    While I hate the fact that it is now necessary because of our society, you can't teach abstinence only sex ed.