1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: According to NFL Network, TO ADMITS he Spat on Hall's Face...

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by ajk23az, Dec 16, 2006.

1. Dale

Dale Forum Architect

4,946 Messages
    291 Likes Received
    I'll be honest here. For years, I've been wondering if we'd ever again get a receiver capable of scoring 10-plus TDs. I mean, it seems forever.

And in one season, TO is poised to potentially break our all-time single season TD mark for receivers.

I'd hate to just voluntarily release that from this team.

I know LaTunaNostra has said that TO has been a quantity-but-not-quality player. And I understand her viewpoint. TO hasn't been the game breaker here that he was elsewhere.

But I'm very, VERY skeptical that any other receiver could come here and match that production, or that our other guys could just easily "make up" for his production.

I've just been watching this team -- and horribly mediocre receivers -- for too long lately to agree with that sentiment.

We were hoping we could "get by' with guys like LaFleur, Stepfret Williams, etc. I like Miles Austin and Sam Hurd. But I'm not ready to see either of them try to be TO -- unless, like Romo did to Bledsoe, one of them can simply take away the starting position from TO. But I'm not in favor of just handing them things.

I believe Glenn is 80 or so yards from breaking the 1,000 yard mark, too. If I'm not mistaken, the Cowboys have never had two 1,000-yard receivers, have they?

I'm not ready to give that up. It's just too fun having weapons on offense, from Barber to TO to Witten to Glenn. It's too fun to watch.
  2. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Stackin and Processin, Well

8,610 Messages
    488 Likes Received
    We're on pace to be better than we have in 10 years, thanks to our 'controversial cancer' receiver's 2 TDs (14 points) today in a great game with playoff implications, that was decided by 10 points. Just to put things in perspective for those who like to get emotional about the 'character' of our team. T.O. is on pace for the best statistical season of any receiver since, you guessed it, # 88.

D Hall is revered by the NFL as the best corner in the game, our best receiver exposed him tonight and burnt him twice for TDs. I'm tired of the hate, I'm a Dallas Cowboys fan, T.O. is a Dallas Cowboy, therefore I'm going to support him through all his ridiculous 'self-centered' acts (none quite as severe as our all-pro receiver's cocaine abuse back in 95).

Stop watching ESPN and realize that its football, not some media influenced circus where you have to adhere to the moral fabric of our society in order to be a fan.

[/drunken rant]
  3. Bleu Star

Bleu Star Agent Coulson

19,851 Messages
    1,108 Likes Received
    I totally understand where you're coming from and can totally relate to how you feel. I feel the same way...
  4. Apollo Creed

8,610 Messages
    488 Likes Received
    Your sig says it all.:starspin
  5. Jimz31

Jimz31 The Sarcastic One

14,242 Messages
    30 Likes Received
    Spitting in someone's face doesn't have ANY place in football....the media doesn't have to tell me this.
  6. Dale

Dale Forum Architect

4,946 Messages
    291 Likes Received
    I know this post will probably ruffle some feathers. And maybe it should.

But I've been watching a lot of the Cowboys history DVDs lately, seeing some of those segments about "headcases" like Duane Thomas and Hollywood Henderson.

There's something about these off-the-wall types that I like seeing on this team. There's just something I like about him being "our" idiot.

For all the TO drama, he's not out beating/raping women, or murdering/assaulting people. He's not a good person, by and large (see: spitting in Hall's face). But he's also not someone that, IMO, one can simply not morally support (say, a Leonard Little).

I wasn't around when Duane Thomas was here. But it just fascinates me that we had a running back that basically wouldn't talk to his teammates. And he was darn good. And to think he was let go so quickly makes one wonder today, "What could have happened if...?"

I think 20 years from now a youngster will look back at a TO like that. It's fascinating to wonder what's in this guy's head. The overdose, the comments, the "snitches." It'll especially be that way if the Cowboys manage to do some damage in the playoffs; someone not around now will be wondering how the team won with all this madness.

As nice as it is to have a good group of men -- like on a team like the Spurs -- having your headcases here and there has its fun, too. And this sports stuff is, when you get down to it, about enjoying the show.
  7. nathanlt

nathanlt Well-Known Member

2,028 Messages
    58 Likes Received
    No, I know what I said, and I stand by it. T.O. is currently a Romanowski caliber jerk, and has been for his decade in the league. I hope he doesn't live his whole life that way.

D Hall is not a punk for stating why he has lost respect for T.O. He has every right to be angry. He should forgive T.O. because bitterness is worse for the person holding it.

T.O. is doing not the Cowboys any favors with this circus. Kids who watch T.O. and watch their parents cheer for him learn a lot of unsaid lessons. Communication is 90% nonverbal. Spitting in someone's face says a lot. Glossing over someone spitting in another's face says a lot. Winning at any cost says a lot.

T.O. needs to change, he does not need to be praised for doing this.

Putting down D. Hall is absolutely uncalled for.
  8. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

44,045 Messages
    1,165 Likes Received
  9. DMX690

DMX690 Active Member

582 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    Please get off your High Horse buddy.... It's not T.O jobs to raise kids. He's pay to catch football and help his team win games. T.O an idiot that only know how to play football. When he retires nobody will care. Trust me if T.O help the Cowboys win a Super Bowl nobody will give a damn about him spliting in D.Hall face. Just like nobody cares about M.Irvin being crack addict.
  10. Bleu Star

Bleu Star Agent Coulson

19,851 Messages
    1,108 Likes Received
  11. nathanlt

nathanlt Well-Known Member

2,028 Messages
    58 Likes Received
    People who play the game have real problems, we need to care about them as people, and not be so cold-hearted about winning the football game at the expense of dignity and class.

The game is supposed to teach players about dedication and work ethic, committment, teamwork, class, friendship, competition, brotherhood. If you stray from that, and focus simply on money or championships, you've really lost the best part of the game.

Idealist? Yeah... but what benefit do we get by turning our back on what's really important?
  12. Apollo Creed

8,610 Messages
    488 Likes Received
    What makes this more severe than a player using steroids to get an unfair phyical advantage over the rest of the competition. An isolated incident of indisgretion is more severe than a premedidated abuse of steroids to get an 'edge' on the competition? Or perhaps pulling a gun at a club, like some Bengals do, or maybe refusing to play in a backup role because of pride (like some 14 year veteran QBs do).

T.O. is an a-hole, sure, but he loves the game of football. He plays with broken bones, torn tendons, etc and doesn't complain once. He gets mad when someone on the team runs to the media and reveals all its business, I'm sure other players have had worst acts that were kept under wraps because of the organizations privacy, we're the Cowboys, everyone of our farts are going to be analyzed by ESPN. We won, lets stop being babies.
  13. Dale

Dale Forum Architect

4,946 Messages
    291 Likes Received
    I'm confused. Are you saying we should try to get TO help and not abandon him because of his obvious problems?

Yeah, I wish we could do that for him. Even if he were never to catch another TD pass here, it'd be nice if he could actually get rid of his psychological issues and become a rational human being.

I think most of his problems are self initated, but I also think there's a deeply rooted reason for why he behaves so erraticly.
  14. Apollo Creed

8,610 Messages
    488 Likes Received
    Because he was such a sheltered child, with no parental figures, an insecurity complex for being made fun of for being skinny at an early age - thus motivating him to grow physically with a strong lack of trust for society and those who mocked him, making T.O. the only person that T.O. can trust. Hes just insecure and doesn't quite have the intellect to handle the spotlight as a prominant figure in the game of football, thus making himself appear to be an idiot.
  15. Dale

Dale Forum Architect

4,946 Messages
    291 Likes Received
    Media and fans pick on/support players for a variety of reasons.

Favre's a fun-loving, backyard-playing country boy, so we overlook some of his problems. Wasn't he praised for admitting his problem with pain medicine as opposed to condemned for ever being in that situation in the first place?

TO, meanwhile, is a guy who admits he loves him some him and does a wide variety of things to irritate people. He's annoying. So, when he does something even the least bit annoying, everyone wants to sound off on it.

There's a lot of things done by players in this league that get overlooked.

When Deltha O'Neal -- a two-time Pro Bowler -- was arrested, it wasn't announced until like the last 5 minutes of the SportsCenter segment I watched. Oh, and he was the 8th Bengal arrested.

Merriman is suspended for steroids, but we're all eager to forgive him and assume he was framed or something. Where is the Mark McGwire treatment?

For whatever reasons -- some justified, others not -- players are treated differently.

At this point, I really don't care about TO's distractions. He's a dolt. We all know this to be the case. He's a flawed person, both in how he behaves on the field and when he opens his mouth off it. Again, we know this. But who cares if he's not single-handedly bringing losses to this team.

Lousaka Polite is one of the nicest, smartest guys on the team. Doesn't mean I want him starting if Hoyte is the better player. The same works, in reverse, in how I feel about TO.

I'm willing to bet Austin Miles is a nicer person. Doesn't make him a better football player.
  16. felix360

felix360 Active Member

1,142 Messages
    21 Likes Received

i agree i think we all know who the snitch is now, Hall must have a bug over at valley ranch
  17. Dale

Dale Forum Architect

4,946 Messages
    291 Likes Received
    I agree.

But at some point, it's also up to the individual to seek treatment when he/she has such obvious issues. Now, I guess that's the catch-22; when you have these issues, how can you self reflect to the point where you know you need help? Especially when you have trust issues, meaning you simply won't trust anyone saying you should seek help.

What do ya do? Excusse TO for everything because he seemingly has some issues? Ignore those issues and deem him incapable of using better judgment?

I think its a shame he grew up the way he did. At the same time, countless others encountered similar hardships and still came out OK.

TO's a self-made man. Of all people, he has positioned himself to become OK with his situation. He was handed a lemon of a life early and turned it into something potentially special.

I guess it's easier said than done, but at some point he needs to behave more rationally to prevent from being ridiculed. TO doesn't deserve special treatment over all those other people who grew up the same way.
  18. Jimz31

Jimz31 The Sarcastic One

14,242 Messages
    30 Likes Received
    It is absolutely NOT more severe than taking steroids. Never said that it was and am NOT comparing guns or steroids to it....that's just plain stupid.

What is soooo wrong with saying that spitting into someones face has no place on the field?
  19. windward

windward NFL Historian

15,160 Messages
    451 Likes Received
    TO IMO is not a bad person. I really think he has some deep roted trust issues that may go back to his childhood (no father figure for example) When he perceives someone attacking him or not respecting him he gets equally defensive and says things that most of us would not utter publicly. I think TO just wants to feel loved. Now,he may have a skewed idea of what a healthy loving relationship is, butthat doesn't mean he is beyond hope. When I see TO up to his "antics", I see a person reaching out for help and love from the world but unable to elaborate it.
  20. DMX690

DMX690 Active Member

582 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    :lmao: :lmao:

Oh really people who play the game have real problems.... Yeah and the sun is hot and Ice is cold. Everybody has problems but 99% percent of people don't get pay 25 millons dollars to catch a stupid ball. Simple fact if T.O was a janitor nobody would care if he was ********.