1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

According to the newest Rasmussen numbers Mitt Romney now leads the GOP race for the

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by PosterChild, Jan 28, 2008.

1. PosterChild

PosterChild New Member

2,027 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Posted by: Kevin McCullough

According to the newest Rasmussen numbers Mitt Romney now leads the GOP race for the nomination - NATIONALLY, and is up 15 points amongst "conservatives." McCain leads amongst moderates - but most of the primary races here on out are closed races which will diminish moderate/independent turnout for the GOP race.

Mitt's strategy, though it hit a sizable speed bumps in Iowa AND New Hampshire, is on the verge of complete fruition. The singularly important task ahead of him being - to win Florida.

If McCain loses Florida, though he will be around to make more noise, he will be all but finished. It Mitt wins, he must still compete heavily on Tsunami Tuesday, but he will be in position to raise additional money to complete his war chest.

Huckabee's loss in South Carolina appears to have been his ultimate undoing, which in all reality could be blamed easily enough on Thompson given the similarity in the exit poll responses from Thompson and Huckabee's supporters. Had Thompson not been in the race, Huckabee would have easily defeated McCain by a wide margin (perhaps 10%).

Now that McCain, who traditionally only wins "open" primaries, is faced with convincing the conservative base of the GOP primary voters that he isn't the wild, undisciplined, arrogant, half-crazed, tempest in a teapot he has been for the last eight years. But the track record is long.

And when you associate your name with more legislation (McCain/Feingold, McCain/Kennedy, McCain/Lieberman) with your opponent's co-signature's than from your own party's there's bound to be backlash. Even in this election cycle it appears that while McCain says ONE THING about border security, the staffing of his campaign advisers tells a VERY different story.
    A good boxing of the ears in Florida and Senator Cranky can finally put the "running for president" demons to rest, and just focus on enjoying the remainder of his time in the Senate and with his wife and family...

http://kevinmccullough.townhall.com/blog/g/ef4b946b-0154-4b69-ae39-767b3e3fa3c8
  2. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Bad Santa Staff Member

61,260 Messages
    4,584 Likes Received
    Say no to Mitt...he is a robot of evil.
  3. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,903 Messages
    1,501 Likes Received
    That is interesting.

I really expected Mitt to wilt.
    I am surprised pocket conservatives really do disdain McCain sooo much.

Anyways I'd rather the Dems face Romney in a general election.
  4. Danny White

Danny White Winter is Coming

12,345 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    This is written by a Mitt apologist (not the OP but the Kevin McCollough guy).

McCain is no where near "done" even if he does lose Florida.

This is shaping up to be a horse race that will go down to the convention where there may very well be a brokered champion.

The author likes to point out McCain's weaknesses (closed primaries, etc) but ignores Romney's huge weakness. Do date he's only done well in states where he's poured a ton of money into them over months to build name ID... and even in some of those states (Iowa) he hasn't done well. When Super Tuesday rolls around, he's going to have to go up against McCains superior name ID in a number of states where Romney is a relative unknown.

I'm no McCain backer... in fact I feel like I don't have a dog in this fight... but to write McCain off is laughable.
  5. PosterChild

PosterChild New Member

2,027 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Same here.

But this sentiment,

"Now that McCain, who traditionally only wins "open" primaries, is faced with convincing the conservative base of the GOP primary voters that he isn't the wild, undisciplined, arrogant, half-crazed, tempest in a teapot he has been for the last eight years. But the track record is long."

has kept me from flat out guaranteeing a McCain nomination even though other indicators have pointed to it. A brokered convention is unlikely,though not impossible.
  6. arglebargle

arglebargle Well-Known Member

5,042 Messages
    145 Likes Received
    I think Romney will founder on the strain of religious intolerance that runs through the zealot wing of the primary voters. A lot of those voters don't even consider Catholics to be 'real Christians', much less Mormons. I remember seeing a Rasmussen poll that had the percentages of those who would not vote for a Mormon, period, at somewhere in the mid 40's. This will definitely hurt him in the Bible Belt. Huckabee and McCain are more likely to pick up those votes.

I'd be much happier with the original Romney myself, before his Waffle to Win plan. Nothing wrong with a fiscally conservate, socially moderate (liberal to some of you) candidate.
  7. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,845 Messages
    1,688 Likes Received
    This bigotry charge about Mormons (which interestingly only seems to be highlighted by liberals) as regards republican voters is way over blown. A lot of people did not know what Mormons were; more are learning all the time that they are not much different then catholics or lutherans or baptists.
    The charge against Kennedy that because he was Catholic that the Pope would actually rule the US did hurt him, but the country is a lot more tolerant and better informed now then they were 48 years ago.
  8. arglebargle

5,042 Messages
    145 Likes Received
    This from a Rasmussen survey late in 2006. While personal exposure may have softened this, it is still telling, imo.

"Forty-three percent (43%) of American voters say they would never even consider voting for a Mormon Presidential candidate. Only 38% say they would consider casting such a vote while 19% are not sure. Half (53%) of all Evangelical Christians say that they would not consider voting for a Mormon candidate."
  9. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,845 Messages
    1,688 Likes Received
    I would love to see how that poll was done. Its so easy to manipulate people with asking just the right questions in the right order.
    Frankly I refuse to believe that those saying that really were familiar at all with mormons- I am wondering if they though that Mormons were like Jehovah's Witnesses or Scientology or something like that.
  10. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Bad Santa Staff Member

61,260 Messages
    4,584 Likes Received
    Many do think like that or think that all mormons are polygamists.

What little they do know is someone talking about something in the mormon version of the bible that sounds outlandish...not much more outlandish than the king james version...but it is different so they attack it.

Just like some on the right point out Obama's middle name or say...hmmm Obama sounds like Osama.
  11. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

44,051 Messages
    1,187 Likes Received
    The fact that Florida is a closed primary helps Mitt tremendously because McCain's lead among independents is remarkable.

Given that, I doubt very seriously Mitt wins Florida.
  12. ConcordCowboy

ConcordCowboy Mr. Buckeye

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Me too.
  13. arglebargle

5,042 Messages
    145 Likes Received
    Thanks for illustrating my point.

Here's a link to the Rasmussen site, so you can check away.

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/pub...ups/election_2008_romney_vs_clinton_and_obama