1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Adam Caplan: Mallett fall to 3rd round?

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Wimbo, Feb 9, 2011.

1. Wimbo

Wimbo Active Member

4,133 Messages
    2 Likes Received
  2. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

20,422 Messages
    758 Likes Received
    I don't think it is much of a shocker. Mallet doesn't have good feet and he makes poor decisions in crunch time.
  3. Cowboy Brian

Cowboy Brian Romo 2 Austin Zone Supporter

11,815 Messages
    276 Likes Received
    Mallet and Locker falling, both should've declared last year.
  4. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    Albert Breer also reported that he has a lot of "baggage" that is going to hurt him in the draft. He doens't have really any red warning signals on his criminal record other than a misdemeanor public intoxication charge. Maybe there's more to his transfer from Michigan than meets the eye. Haven't seen a fire as of yet, but there's certainly a lot of smoke.
  5. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,361 Messages
    1,398 Likes Received
    Mallet reminds me of a slightly less physically talented passer then Cutler coming out of Vandy a few years ago. A lot of natural ability but questionable decision making. Relies too much on his arm. For what it's worth, I believe that he is more talented then Newton. Newton has more mobility but Mallet has better tools in the passing game.
  6. joseephuss

20,422 Messages
    758 Likes Received
    Mallet reminds me of Phillip Rivers. Both are tall and lumbering. Rivers is good at keeping his feet in good position to make the pass. Mallet isn't, which forces him to rely only on his arm strength. That leads to trouble.
  7. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,227 Messages
    1,445 Likes Received
    Man I would take this guy in the 3rd round in a second.

No way on earth does he fall that far.
  8. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,227 Messages
    1,445 Likes Received
    MAtthew Stafford had the same problems in college. He relied on his arm too much.

If you have good coaching you don't worry about that. Just draft the guy.

Not everyone is as polished as Andrew Luck is in college.
  9. respectdatstar

respectdatstar Member

685 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Would he be on our Big Board if he fell to the 3rd? He has been mocked in the past in the top 10 picks. I think that would be a very good value pick and I'm sure Jerry would too being that he is an Arkansas guy. He doesn't really fill a need, I guess. Just a thought.
  10. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

13,994 Messages
    1,023 Likes Received
    Makes him the perfect Raider. Prediction: The crypt keeper falls in love with his arm for the "vertical game" and grabs him in round 2.
  11. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,361 Messages
    1,398 Likes Received
    Not me. Rivers was a very good decision maker at NCSt. He was a little bit high strung and real cocky but he was always a pretty good decision maker so far as I remember. His throwing motion was odd, 3/4 motion but I really liked him as a prospect.

Mallet, at least from what I've seen, he's a little different. He has skills. Probably the most talented throwing QB in this draft but he makes poor decisions on occasion. IDK. All I know is that I liked Rivers a lot more then I do Mallet coming out.
  12. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,227 Messages
    1,445 Likes Received
    I personally think Mallett moves a little better than what people think too.

He's not Bledsoe out there.
  13. TheFinisher

TheFinisher Well-Known Member

2,351 Messages
    508 Likes Received
    Mallett has one of the best arms I've ever seen, he gets a little flustered under pressure but if he has a decent pocket he can carve up a defense. There are maybe 5 QBs in the NFL who have the arm to match him.
  14. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    Jumungous had a great arm as well. where is he now?
  15. TheFinisher

TheFinisher Well-Known Member

2,351 Messages
    508 Likes Received
    So by your logic every QB with a big arm will be a bust?

Russell had a cannon but couldn't hit the side of a barn. Mallet has much better control over his accuracy.
  16. joseephuss

20,422 Messages
    758 Likes Received
    I was only referring to them being similar from a physical aspect. As far as decision making Mallett isn't close to Rivers when he was coming out of college.

Footwork is big in my opinion. And good footwork isn't just about a QB being a good athlete, either. Peyton Manning and Tom Brady are not good athletes, but they both know how to move their feet. Their ability to get their feet set when they throw the ball leads to their success. It is part of making good decisions. Romo is good at setting his feet on his throws. Quincy Carter, for example was horrible at setting his feet.

Any QB can drop back and at the top of his drop set his feet and throw. When the primary option/quick throw is not there or when there is pressure the good QBs can reset their feet and make good throws. I have not seen Mallett do that in college. He gets flustered and he lets his footwork mechanics falter.

Better footwork can be learned, but I am not spending a 1st round pick on a QB that needs to learn that aspect of the game. That is why I can see Mallett dropping.
  17. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,662 Messages
    2,363 Likes Received
    Galloway has been saying for a few weeks now that some scouts he's talked to are invoking the name of... Ryan Leaf. Not sure if that's laziness, or lack of smarts, or just general attitude. Or all of those.
  18. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    On pure QB skills alone, I'd take Mallett over Jake Locker all day and twice on Sundays.
  19. Randy White

Randy White Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

6,092 Messages
    29 Likes Received
    Philips Rivers, Matthew Stafford, Jay Cutler... better than Locker, top 6 arm in the NFL, most talented passer in the draft..

amazing.. :eek:
  20. Randy White

Randy White Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

6,092 Messages
    29 Likes Received
    [youtube]OurYaWeYlQw[/youtube]
    Ryan Mallett

[youtube]XDPgzMno7jA[/youtube]
    Byron Leftwich.

Almost identical size, similar mobility, pretty much the same arm strength. Their biggest problem ? Both have a windmill throwing motion that slows down their release tremendously. That's really why Leftwich wasn't able to develop into a long term starter in the league and why Mallett's stock has been dropping faster than the market crash of the early 30's.

To compare him with Cutler, who's passes look like bullets coming out of his hands ? and Philip Rivers, who's a Dan Marino clone when it comes to quick releases ? Really ? :huh: