1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Adam Schefter Tweets About The Draft *Merge*

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Phoenix, Apr 23, 2012.

1. Phoenix

Phoenix Well-Known Member

5,051 Messages
    428 Likes Received
    Adam Schefter ‏ @AdamSchefter Promises to be an active, unpredictable draft. One NFL GM went so far as to say today, "Picks 3-16 are all trying to trade back."

...just tweeted that...
  2. Zaxor

Zaxor Virtus Mille Scuta

8,398 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    should mean a buyers market so you might be able to move up for well below normal cost
  3. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

7,805 Messages
    770 Likes Received
    Makes sense. Not alot of elite talent, but tons of depth
  4. cowboy_ron

cowboy_ron You Can't Fix Stupid

4,234 Messages
    295 Likes Received
    That's what I like about this draft
  5. DBOY3141

DBOY3141 Well-Known Member

3,218 Messages
    496 Likes Received
    Then we should focus on quality and not quantity. We do not need another 2009 draft, which also lacked elite talent.

I would rather trade up for Cox or even Barron then trade back to add a 4th rounder.

This draft scares me.
  6. CaptainAmerica

CaptainAmerica Active Member

5,015 Messages
    6 Likes Received
    Don't we hear this every year?

"Unpredictable, going to be wild, everyone trying to trade down"
  7. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Adam Schefter ‏ @AdamSchefter

Promises to be an active, unpredictable draft. One NFL GM went so far as to say today, "Picks 3-16 are all trying to trade back."

Looks like if we really want to move up, the price may not be as steep as in previous years but is there value in doing so?

Edit: Dang, should have been in the Draft Zone.
  8. MonsterD

MonsterD Quota outta absentia

3,594 Messages
    286 Likes Received
  9. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
  10. cowboy_ron

4,234 Messages
    295 Likes Received
    Notice anything different about this off season?
  11. Oh_Canada

Oh_Canada Well-Known Member

5,928 Messages
    507 Likes Received
    Pretty much.

Is it possible that info was provided by a GM who wants to move up???
  12. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,671 Messages
    1,884 Likes Received
    Yes and with the holes we have it's a good year to get some quantity on this team for the positions we need.
  13. irvin88

irvin88 Active Member

1,668 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Trust Jerry!
  14. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

37,476 Messages
    3,788 Likes Received
    I'd do the opposite which is what it appears most are trying to do. Fall back and draft players in the same relative tier. I'm sure they're ranked but there are many players very roughly the same talent in the first three rounds.
  15. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

43,926 Messages
    975 Likes Received
    The rookie wage scale really throws a wrench in things.
  16. cowboy_ron

4,234 Messages
    295 Likes Received
    exactly
  17. AKATheRake

AKATheRake Well-Known Member

3,857 Messages
    231 Likes Received
    Yes!!!
  18. Picksix

Picksix A Work in Progress

4,698 Messages
    678 Likes Received
    Not sure how big of a deal this will become, but it's got the middle of the first round talk at least. Florio reported this first over the weekend, and let me expand on it. In the new collective bargaining agreement, there's a provision that could affect trading of draft choices in the first round. Each first-round pick can be signed to a four-year contract with a club option for a fifth year that has to be exercised in May following the third season of the contract. So rookies this year will sign for four years, through the end of the 2015 season; but in May 2015, teams have to tell the players if they intend to exercise the fifth years of the contract and lock up players through 2016. For picks 1 through 10 of the first round, that fifth-year salary will be the transition number, the average of the top 10 salaries at the position that season. For picks 11 through 32, the fifth-year salary will be the average of the third through 25th salaries at the position that year.

I'll give you an example. Let's use Tannehill. The transition number for quarterbacks this year is $14.3 million. The average of the third through 25th quarterback salary this year is $8.1 million. Who knows what the numbers will look like in May 2015, but they probably won't be smaller, or the gulf narrower. In other words, if you pick Tannehill at eight, you'll be paying $6.2 million more in a five-year deal for him than if you picked Tannehill at 12. Crazy. But true.

Now, some teams I spoke with over the weekend say the fifth year in the deal will simply be used as leverage in negotiations for a long-term deal. But I can see sticklers like Scott Pioli in Kansas City, Howie Roseman in Philadelphia and Mike Brown in Cincinnati holding players to fifth years at a lower price. There's a reason Pioli went on last week in his press conference with local writers about why he loved picking at 11. That's where the more team-friendly numbers begin.

In case you're interested, the difference in fifth-year numbers for defensive ends picked in the top 10 versus in the final 22 picks of round one ($4.3 million), and defensive tackles ($2.6 million), could come into play because of the big numbers of each position in the first round. "In any case,'' one club official told me over the weekend, "the old draft trade chart is obsolete.''
  19. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

16,886 Messages
    1,216 Likes Received
    DeCastro or Barron...there you go.
  20. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

43,926 Messages
    975 Likes Received
    That's pretty interesting. I hadn't thought about that. I'm not sure it should dissuade someone from moving up to take someone they're targeting, but it's interesting nonetheless.