1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Adrian Peterson 106 yards behind Emmitt at same point in career

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Jan 4, 2013.

1. Mike_45

Mike_45 Active Member

1,095 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    Who would you consider the best?

I am very curious.
  2. Arkyvarminter

Arkyvarminter Well-Known Member

1,041 Messages
    173 Likes Received
    The Emmitt-vs.-Barry poll

Posted by Mike Florio on July 14, 2011, 7:38 AM EST

[IMG] Getty ImagesGiven that our post on Barry Sanders’ show of humility regarding the question of whether he was better than Emmitt Smith generated more than 200 comments, it’s fair to say that the issue is one about which more than a few of you care.
    So as we embark on another day of waiting for white smoke to slowly rise from a New York chimney, cast your vote on which guy you think was the better player.
    In 10 seasons, Sanders made it to the Pro Bowl 10 times, rushing for 15,269 yards. Smith, an eight-time Pro Bowler, gained 18,355 yards in 15 years.
    Which running back was better?

Emmitt Smith 12.76% (2,883 votes)

Barry Sanders 84.28% (19,043 votes)

It's a tie 2.96% (669 votes)

Total Votes: 22,595
  3. slomoxn

slomoxn Well-Known Member

1,537 Messages
    231 Likes Received
    that's all very ininteresting, those stats make Emmitts career seems pedestrian. But Enmitt 3+1 mvp Barry 0. yes Emmitt had a hell of a team but he carried the team more than a few times to or in the super bowl, something Barry's pretty stats will never be accused of. Cowboys fan or no I'll take the work horse over the equestrian show horse.
  4. IAMKING

IAMKING Benched

1,253 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Barry was an absolute BEAST
  5. koolaid

koolaid Drink Me

1,764 Messages
    75 Likes Received
    I wish you worked for the cowboys as our GM or something.
  6. tyke1doe

tyke1doe Well-Known Member

19,367 Messages
    634 Likes Received
    Michael Wilbon thinks Emmitt was a better back than Barry. I remember him writing a column about it back in the day.

Other non-Cowboys did too.
  7. CitySlicker202

CitySlicker202 Member

92 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    You could make the legitimate case that Emmitt Smith wasn't even the best player on the team during the Super Bowl runs. The man ran behind one of the 3 best Offensive Lines of All Time. Those 5 gives upfront made Emmitt who he was.....Period!

You put Barry Sanders behind that 90's Dallas line and the Cowboy probably win 5 Titles during the 90s.
  8. AdamJT13

AdamJT13 Salary Cap Analyst

14,940 Messages
    323 Likes Received
    Or none because Sanders had no heart.
  9. SultanOfSix

SultanOfSix Star Power

8,079 Messages
    299 Likes Received
    It was Nate Newton himself who said "we", as in the offensive line, were nobodies until Emmitt came along.

People forget Emmitt was fantastic at reading, seeing, and hitting the hole. Plus, he was workhorse. Emmitt almost could have had 200 yards in half of a game against Minnesota until he fractured his finger or hand and didn't play the rest of the game. I think it was the week Walter Payton died.
  10. mldardy

mldardy Well-Known Member

6,431 Messages
    568 Likes Received
    Wow nice you posted a popularity contest article. That's all this is. Of course people are going to pick Barry the majority of the time. We get it shoved down our throats that he could do no wrong:
    He was flashy, made people miss,
    had nice exciting long runs, had people going goo goo gah gah,
    the media kissing his *** at every turn.

What doesn't/NEVER gets talked about are:
    His negative rushing yards,
    his negative rushing PLAYOFF game,
    his quitting on his teammates and retiring right before a season,
    the fact that he actually had a good offensive line when most of the media will having you thinking he ran behind 5 Mackenzie Bernadeau's throughout his career.
    Having to be taken out when his team's offense got near the goal line.
  11. mldardy

mldardy Well-Known Member

6,431 Messages
    568 Likes Received
    He did. Well tell me how many of those lineman are in the Hall of Fame?
  12. tyke1doe

19,367 Messages
    634 Likes Received
    Ouch!
  13. tyke1doe

19,367 Messages
    634 Likes Received
    Did you see what Blair Thomas, Derrick Lassic, Paul Palmer, Sherman Williams, et. al. did behind that same offensive line? :eek:

If the offensive line was one of the best of all time, then Jerry Jones would have let Emmitt sit the entire year because JJ was bent on not signing Emmitt to a bigger deal.

Once the Cowboys got whipped by the Redskins and the Bills and once Charles Haley threw a chart at a chalk board screaming "We need Emmitt," Jerry Jones saw the light rrreeeaaalll quickly.

The offensive line did its job. But let's not undersale how important Emmitt was in making that offensive line look good. And not a one of them, aside from Larry Allen who came later, is going to sniff the Hall of Fame.
  14. Aikbach

Aikbach Well-Known Member

9,714 Messages
    37 Likes Received
    Peterson is injury prone unlike Emmitt, who was tough as nails and seldom sidelined.

LT was the best contemporary shot to surpass Emmitt and he retired way short after an early pace to catch Emmitt.

My guess is the record will stand for some time, maybe decades as the featured back becomes less common in offenses.
  15. tyke1doe

19,367 Messages
    634 Likes Received
    Emmitt was also compact, thick thighs and ran closer to the ground.

AP is a beast, but he's taller (6'1 I think) and runs taller. His legs are exposed moreso than Emmitt's. He's doing great now, but as he slows down, his height and his upright style won't work to his favor. He really won't be able to hide behind linemen and slip and slide like smaller backs.
  16. jimmy40

jimmy40 Well-Known Member

15,124 Messages
    285 Likes Received
    let me guess, this thread turned into Emmitt's Oline was over rated.
  17. jimmy40

15,124 Messages
    285 Likes Received
    so now there's no Hall of fame bias?
  18. SultanOfSix

SultanOfSix Star Power

8,079 Messages
    299 Likes Received
    Look who's here playing devil's advocate against the team or one of its players again. :rolleyes:

No one said they were overrated. They were good made "great" because they had a HOF running back running behind them.
  19. jimmy40

15,124 Messages
    285 Likes Received
    and here's the "fan" that said an Emmitt Smith fumble was proof the NFL was fixed. How does it feel to accuse one of the greatest Cowboys ever of fumbling on purpose? Go away dude, your a disgrace to this forum.
  20. jimmy40

15,124 Messages
    285 Likes Received
    and this is why these threads turn ********, someone says something idiotic like a guy with 17,000 yards or whatever in the NFL had no heart. just a freaking stupid thing to say.