1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Advanced nfl statistics breaks down Romo in the clutch

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by pansophy, Oct 11, 2013.

1. pansophy

pansophy Member

71 Messages
    9 Likes Received
  2. TTJJ

TTJJ Benched

25 Messages
    10 Likes Received
    statistics can make anything say anything. what have your own eyes seen these last 7 years? clutch? goat? i got mine.
  3. Ntegrase96

Ntegrase96 Well-Known Member

2,596 Messages
    1,089 Likes Received
    "Those are all performances by Peyton Manning from three Colts losses during the 2006 season. But no matter, because those were inconsequential mid-season games in a season where Indy would eventually win the Super Bowl. No one remembers those select games where an off day from Manning contributed to a loss.

But unfortunately for Romo, the Cowboys have had very little room for error during his tenure. Consequently, rare critical mistakes by Romo often mark the difference between the postseason and going home early."

This quote pretty much sums up the article after all it's proofs are said and done. I'm pretty critical of Romo, but I agree... This is a huge reason why Romo is perceived as 'unclutch'.
    Cebrin likes this.
  4. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

24,936 Messages
    589 Likes Received
    This is incorrect. People who misinterpret or don't understand statistics are the problem. Statistics cannot make anything say anything. That is just something ignorant people say.
    windward and RamziD like this.
  5. AbeBeta

24,936 Messages
    589 Likes Received
    There has been very little room for error. But the facts are that it has almost exclusively been Romo putting us in situations where we have any chance at all. It hasn't been the run game getting us there and it certainly hasn't been great protection.
    treykin32 likes this.
  6. Cebrin

Cebrin Active Member

475 Messages
    235 Likes Received
    or defense.
  7. TTJJ

TTJJ Benched

25 Messages
    10 Likes Received
    aqh ha ha hahaaaa haaaaa haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
  8. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,515 Messages
    463 Likes Received
    I had an Algebra teacher in college that was a statician for the marines who said he could make statistics say whatever he wanted them to say.

Guess he was just ignorant...

That said, Romo is not a "Choker". Ignorance is involved with people who believe he is, but it has nothing to do with statistics.
  9. starfrombirth

starfrombirth Well-Known Member

3,668 Messages
    344 Likes Received
    I said it in another thread and I'll say it here. Our team is so bad across the board that Romo has to play a near flawless game. He can never make a mistake.... ever or else we lose. How sad is the state of our team. Romo does more with less than anyone except Peyton when he was with the colts.Yes he has Dez, who just came into his own the 2nd half of last year. That's one wr that he can count on, no running game and damn sure no defense and no pass protection until this year... oh by the way still no running game or defense. It is grossly unfair to hold him accountability for the complete lack of talent on this team. Like many of you, I was praying for Tony not to throw an interception before that final drive BUT not because I thought it was his sole responsibility but because this team just cannot win without a perfect performance from him. I love Aikman, Staubach, and even Danny White... watched all of them play but during their winning years they never did what Romo has done (They have all even said as much) with so little. Like many of you, I hold my head in frustration but it's because I look back at all the dropped passes, all the drive killing penalties, the runs to darkness when there is another 10-15 yards with one step to the left or right, the lack of pressure of any kind, the horribly misplayed defensive play, and lets not forget the obvious penalties that DON'T get called for us. That's an awful lot for any quarterback to overcome... even superROMO.
  10. dooomsday

dooomsday Member

886 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    How about if the stats are worthless in the first place? Like pretending that a 4th quarter QB rating implies hes clutch. Is every 4th quarter a pressure situation? Who were we playing? Was it garbage time? How does a QB rating translate into a clutch performance by itself?

Anyone who implies 4th quarters in regular season games defines whether or not someone is a winner, while ignoring actual opportunities to show it, like Washington last season, or his 90% failure rate in elimination games is starting from a position of ignorance.

Romo plays a role in his own demise over and over again. Don't need stats to prove that. But you obviously need stats to try and explain it away, which is the only use I'm seeing from those in denial.
  11. Cebrin

Cebrin Active Member

475 Messages
    235 Likes Received
    Data: factual information (as measurements or statistics) used as a basis for reasoning, discussion, or calculation.
  12. AbeBeta

24,936 Messages
    589 Likes Received
    I get what you are saying. "Don't give me numbers! I have an opinion and no amount of information is going to change what I think"
    Trendnet likes this.
  13. dallasdave

dallasdave Well-Known Member

2,641 Messages
    320 Likes Received
    Just win
    pjtoadie likes this.
  14. AbeBeta

24,936 Messages
    589 Likes Received
    That's a load of poop. He can convince someone who doesn't understand statistics of things but not those with any level of education in statistics.
  15. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,515 Messages
    463 Likes Received
    Yeah my former Marine Statician was full of poop.

:rolleyes:

I'll go ahead and take his word over yours, mkay?
  16. ScipioCowboy

ScipioCowboy More than meets the eye. Staff Member

14,563 Messages
    1,651 Likes Received
    I'm sure he had to go to the bathroom every now and then.

But I bet he acknowledged the foul odor of his poop.
  17. ChldsPlay

ChldsPlay Well-Known Member

6,104 Messages
    311 Likes Received
    So are you saying guys who were in the marines can't be full of poop? Or use hyperbole to make a point?
    Wolf2k5 and RamziD like this.
  18. Staxxxx

Staxxxx Member

286 Messages
    10 Likes Received
    I'm guessing you didn't read the whole article.
  19. AbeBeta

24,936 Messages
    589 Likes Received
    Happy to pm you my qualifications here. Sound like your guy knew enough to fool the ignorant though.
  20. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,515 Messages
    463 Likes Received
    lol

Yeah whatever. A PM would make your opinion more valid than an Algebra instructor/Statitician.

You winz the interwebz.