1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Advice for Dealing with a Crooked Company?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by CowboyMcCoy, Oct 20, 2010.

1. CowboyMcCoy

CowboyMcCoy Business is a Boomin

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    First of all, I made a huge mistake. I know your first response so save it. But I bought a computer from Discount Electronics that I had to take back twice for repairs. Upon the 2nd visit for an entirely new different technical issue, I decided I want my money back.

I mean why should I have to waste my time on crap that doesn't work?

Now, Discount Electronics will not issue a refund because they have a 10 day policy for repairs only--something they never told us, but later stated is on the receipt and that it is store policy, etc. Yet the computer never correctly worked when we bought it. And I've been corresponding with this belligerent owner, Rick Culleton, he replies with criminal threats even when I'm fully aware it's a civil matter.

I left the computer at the store and now he wants to meet me "face to face", but I just don't trust him. One, he's a shady business owner. I grew up in a business with a "no return" policy. But that was just for people who wanted to buy and take stuff back.

Bear in mind this is a used laptop from a pretty big store in central Texas. But this guy is sweating an obvious lemon over a few hundred bills?

I've studied some law and jurisprudence, but I have no idea how to deal with this guy other than to go meet him. And for me that's not an option.

He just seems shady.

What would you do?
  2. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,867 Messages
    1,708 Likes Received
    I would not meet him. Frankly while it sounds bad it might be the best to just let it go. You did not spend that much money and since it is clear that he is not going to budge what are your options realistically? Small claims court? If you hire a lawyer that will cost as well. Sucks but I think you are going to have to eat it; anything else will either cost you more or bring other troubles. This guy sounds like he has a very short trigger and no matter what happens it will not be good for you.
  3. GloryDaysRBack

GloryDaysRBack Well-Known Member

9,510 Messages
    878 Likes Received
    I am not trying to convince you to meet with the guy... but what are you afraid of? Is the guy going to kill your for trying to get your money back?
  4. arglebargle

arglebargle Well-Known Member

5,044 Messages
    146 Likes Received
    If you go, wear a wire! Or at least record it. In Texas only one person in the conversation has to be aware of it, iirc. Or if you do it openly, it will cut down on the **** that might otherwise come out.

Personally I don't see any reason not to. At worst he'll try to weasle out, or maybe bully you. If you are prepared, it shouldn't be that much of an issue.

Have you considered contacting the central office or the BBB? Those sorts of expressed intentions can often help swing things around. Worked for me when local UPS schmoos were being active dunces.
  5. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Benched

57,073 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Just take one of those lighters in the shape of a gun. And if he starts giving you any lip, press it against his temple and tell him to gtho.
  6. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,868 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    swift and blinding violence
  7. Kangaroo

Kangaroo Active Member

9,893 Messages
    0 Likes Received
  8. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

31,344 Messages
    242 Likes Received
    Buckshot.
  9. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

51,649 Messages
    5,561 Likes Received
  10. HoleInTheRoof

HoleInTheRoof Benched

3,265 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Meet him face to face.

If the meeting doesn't go well, beat yourself up a la Ed Norton on Fight Club.
  11. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Bad Santa Staff Member

61,318 Messages
    4,650 Likes Received
    :lmao: :lmao:

You could report him/the company to the better business bureau.
  12. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    Kick him in the nuuuuuuts * Cartman voice*
  13. Sam I Am

31,344 Messages
    242 Likes Received
    ...or better yet, tell him to "get his ******** back in the kitchen and make you some pie!" :laugh2:
  14. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    :laugh2:
    :bow:

I used the BBB on Apple and they gave me a new machine lickety-split.
    But, they are a huge corporation and might be more adversely effected by the BBB. Joe Blow Electronics might have nothing really to be threatened with, but it is worth the try; chances are they contact him and get his attention and he realizes this might get out of the realm of simply bullying someone into shutting up.
  15. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    Do any of your local news stations have someone that reports on stories like this? You could call them up and tell them what happened. If they do a story on it the guy would probably make it right just so he doesn't get any bad pub.
  16. Joe Rod

Joe Rod When Keeping it Real Goes Wrong

8,525 Messages
    601 Likes Received
    Did you pay with a Credit Card? In many instances, you can call them and have them reverse the charges.
  17. basstapp

basstapp Well-Known Member

1,146 Messages
    215 Likes Received
    Contact the store, tell them you expect a refund and you will not be meeting them in public. If the deny your request, tell them you are going to call the BBB and file a complaint and you will be calling the local newspaper around the area. If he tells you to come to the store to get your refund bring a couple of your friends so they can be witnesses if something goes down & power in numbers never hurts :)
  18. Sam I Am

31,344 Messages
    242 Likes Received
    Just go in and ask for the refund. He he does anything other than hand you the money, just start shooting and ask questions later. :cool:
  19. Seven

Seven Messenger to the football Gods

11,579 Messages
    720 Likes Received
    Tell him you'd prefer to correspond via email.................
  20. rkell87

rkell87 Well-Known Member

7,361 Messages
    130 Likes Received
    if he wont give you a refund when you meet him just bash him in the head with the laptop