1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Advice Wanted for a Blog Service

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by Hostile, Jun 5, 2012.

1. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

118,907 Messages
    2,727 Likes Received
    I have recently launched a Facebook site dedicated to some old cowboys who I grew up around and the advice they used to give. My mother and other teachers will also be sources of content, as will movie cowboys, etc.

I've been pressured by a lot of friends to do this for a long time and to start a blog about it.

I responded by starting a fiction book instead, and while I am enjoying that process, they continue to urge me to start a blog.

The thing is, I have no idea how to go about it, what sites to use, etc. If anyone has any advice, I would greatly appreciate it. I am going to weigh everything, including some already given to me by Reality and one other person not a member of this forum.

At any rate, in only 24 hours the Facebook page is taking off, much to my astonishment. Most of it is support from current friends, but it is getting attention from people I have never met and it is encouraging.

I promise to heed every scrap of advice shared with me.
  2. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

31,267 Messages
    187 Likes Received
    You can "blog" on the Facebook page Google+ pages also work that way. There is also blogspot.com / Blogger.com. It's owned by Google, so if you have a Google account, you just login and create the blog. You can checkout WordPress.com too. WordPress is a extremely popular blogging software and they host blogs too. Both blogger and WordPress are free. I'm not sure if WordPress does, but I know bogger will let you monetize your blog by posting adds on your blog.

Good luck with it Hos.
  3. Hostile

118,907 Messages
    2,727 Likes Received
    Wordpress is the way I am leaning and I do want to advertise, etc.

Thank you. This was helpful.
  4. kmp77

kmp77 Active Member

5,945 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Wordpress is free and easy.
  5. Signals

Signals Suspicious looking stranger

4,595 Messages
    13 Likes Received
    Don't use a blog service. Register your domain from Godaddy and use Hostgator to host your blog and use Wordpress.

For some really down to earth practical instruction on blogging go to http://www.clicknewz.com/
  6. Hostile

118,907 Messages
    2,727 Likes Received
    The domain is available on Go Daddy.

That is exactly why I am asking for advice. To me owning the intellectual property is enticing. You're saying I could own it and host it on wordpress?
  7. iceberg

iceberg detoxed Zone Supporter

28,278 Messages
    1,297 Likes Received
    not sure why you'd put the domain on godaddy and site on another service. i LOVE hostgator and HATE godaddy so i just don't get the mix.

i do know the domain service on hostgator is a bit wonky but servicable.

i'd just get an account w/hostgator and do it all there.

holler at me hos, i can help setup the site for you also.
  8. Doomsday

Doomsday Rising Star

10,376 Messages
    236 Likes Received
    Dont use godaddy, there servers are overloaded and slow as heck.

I would recommend WordPress, it is easy to use and great for blogging.
  9. Sam I Am

31,267 Messages
    187 Likes Received
    You can use domain mapping to both Blogger and WordPress blogs. You don't have to host the software yourself. It's better IMO if you do not. The reason being is host management. If you host it at WordPress, WordPress keeps the software updated. If you host it yourself, chances are you will have to keep the blogging software updated your self. (applying security fixes)

As I said, you can use your own domain name mapped to a blog hoster. It appears WordPress charges $13 a year. Google's blog charges nothing for the service.. You just point your domain at them, and tell them (settings) where which blog to map it too.

As for a Domain Register, I use EasyDNS. I've used them for over 10 years and they have been awesome.

EDIT: I concur about GoDaddy. Avoid them like the plague.
  10. Signals

4,595 Messages
    13 Likes Received
    Own the domain by registering it at Godaddy, Use Hostgator to host it, and use Wordpress as the template for your blog. When you buy hosting from Hostgator they have Wordpress available for easy install and then going and getting a Wordpress template is as easy as one click install. There are are thousands of free and for purchase Wordpress templates for you to choose from through wordpress.org.

Yes, you want to own and have full control of your blog by owning it, not using a service like blogspot.
  11. Sam I Am

31,267 Messages
    187 Likes Received
    Why? He isn't doing anything illegal and why get stuck managing the underlying software AND the blog itself? These companies offer quality services and it's not like they "own your content" because you use their service.

I manage internet infrastructure for a living. The last thing I would do is tell someone they should do it with their personal blog when free services like Blogger and WordPress exist.

Now, for a company they should probably host it themselves unless they are a small mom and pop type shop. There is a professionalism view of a blog for a company and you really don't want the hosting company putting stuff on your blog identifying them.
  12. Reality

Reality Administrator Staff Member

11,847 Messages
    1,647 Likes Received
    I do not believe the hosted WordPress service allows you to post your own ads and they may even show their own ads to cover their hosting costs or as a revenue stream for them.

#reality
  13. Hostile

118,907 Messages
    2,727 Likes Received
    This is what I need to know. Stuff like this helps me figure out which way I want to go.
  14. Hostile

118,907 Messages
    2,727 Likes Received
    You make me wish I had your phone number and we had time to talk. This is all great info that is helping me. Thank you.
  15. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    I can't add a lot to what was said but you need to give me the FB site and web address. I would be on that a lot.

I will add one thing, I have been told to make sure you do not register your domain through someone like GoDaddy as they can own the domain when the term is expired and then charge you whatever they want to keep it.

Don't know if that is standard practice.
  16. iceberg

28,278 Messages
    1,297 Likes Received
    like reality said, if you want full control / management of it, you get a hoster and build your own. the "free" sites rely on traffic and they will want the revenue.

get a provider like hostgator, register the domain name, get into the control panel with the provided logon info, and click "install wordpress" and you're done.

you'll do very little network management and just get to run your own blog your own way.
  17. djmajestik

djmajestik Member

963 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    THIS! Blogger.com is what I used, very easy to configure and get rolling. But definitely also utilize the social networks (fbook, g+).

Good luck!
  18. iceberg

28,278 Messages
    1,297 Likes Received
    well blogger.com does say make money w/adsense but i HATE adsense. i won't turn it on for my vbull 4 forums at all.

what kind of ads are you wanting to run hos? i have no idea if these sites are that configurable but you can sign up for a free one and test it out before investing in your own provider.
  19. Signals

4,595 Messages
    13 Likes Received
    I understand. You know the pros and cons of our differing views could be argued into the dirt. For me it's just personal preference of wanting to be in total control and I would recommend that to anyone else. ;)
  20. Meat-O-Rama

Meat-O-Rama Vegetarians are so stupid.

2,257 Messages
    46 Likes Received
    I second the notion of Wordpress. Either using the service or hosting your own. I've set up and hosted several wordpress blogs. I'm happy to provide as much or as little advice / technical assistance as you'd like.

Benefits of hosted: Drop dead simple.

Benefits of hosting your own: Complete and total control. This can be a good and bad thing. But really with Wordpress, once it's up and running, it is nearly thoughtless to maintain. Your day to day activities will revolve around posting your thoughts, not keeping the site up and running.