1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

After the early drops Witten leads league in receptions.

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Aven8, Nov 25, 2012.

1. Aven8

Aven8 Well-Known Member

4,119 Messages
    739 Likes Received
    Amazing. Looked awfully sluggish in the early season, but now has 82 receptions. Maybe not Gronkowski, or Jimmy Smith, but Mr. Reliable.
  2. IAmLegend

IAmLegend Well-Known Member

2,887 Messages
    608 Likes Received
    Witten is a boss and one of the best to ever do it, period. What more can you say. Guy is a living legend.
  3. Lonestar94

Lonestar94 Well-Known Member

3,046 Messages
    380 Likes Received
    He has 0 TD's from Tony this season. Thats a problem.
  4. IAmLegend

IAmLegend Well-Known Member

2,887 Messages
    608 Likes Received
    Good point but the Cowboy's offense in general has been terrible in the red zone this season. We get there and kick FG's.
  5. WVSkinsfan

WVSkinsfan Member

124 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Do you see him making it to the hof? personaly what I have seen of his which is alot I think he stands a good chance but im worried they might not choose him if he does'nt win a SB.
  6. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

27,897 Messages
    3,845 Likes Received
    He's ahead of Gonzales' pace in just about every regard other than TDs. Though he probably won't sustain that as long as Tony did.

I think, if he plays until he's 34-35, he's got a good shot. Not a first-ballot guy, but he'd probably eventually get in. A lot depends on how his play stands up as he gets into his 30s.
  7. WVSkinsfan

WVSkinsfan Member

124 Messages
    0 Likes Received

I agree with you 110% the guy has been great imo and will rank in the top 3-5 with TE's thats played the game.He is one of the best that I have watched and he plays his butt off every game that I have watched him play. If he can stay heathy which is hard to do for a TE then I see his numbers at the end of his career being well worth deserving to go into the HOF.
  8. percyhoward

percyhoward Research Tool

7,983 Messages
    1,571 Likes Received
    Witten will in all likelihood achieve his 800th career reception this year. He needs 22 catches in the last five games to do so. That would give him 800 catches in 159 games.

There are only two other TE who have ever caught 800 passes. Shannon Sharpe did it in his 200th game, and Gonzalez did it in his 171st game. So Witten will almost certainly become the fastest to 800.

He's also on pace for 1,033 yards and 119 receptions this year. Gonzalez holds the record for most receptions by a TE in a season with 102.

In 2010, Witten became only the 10th player in NFL history at any position to have gone to 7+ Pro Bowls at the age of 28.

Here's a complete list of every TE who went to at least 6 Pro Bowls, plus every HOF tight end.
    Tony Gonzalez 12
    Shannon Sharpe 8
    Antonio Gates 8
    Jason Witten 7
    Charlie Sanders 7
    Steve Jordan 6
    John Mackey 5
    Jackie Smith 5
    Mike Ditka 5
    Kellen Winslow 5
    Dave Casper 5

Ozzie Newsome 3

Witten could retire at the end of this season, and he would still have a rock solid case for the Hall of Fame, but few of us would be surprised if it were to take 20 years for the selection committee to figure that out.
  9. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

3,944 Messages
    425 Likes Received
    I'm pretty sure he leads the NFL amongst TE's with false starts as well.
  10. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

27,897 Messages
    3,845 Likes Received
    He does! Cut 'im.
  11. StevenOtero

StevenOtero Well-Known Member

6,318 Messages
    272 Likes Received
    "Stats are for Losers, Final Scores are for Winners"
  12. rocyaice

rocyaice Well-Known Member

5,810 Messages
    497 Likes Received
    He's a tight end so his touchdowns would come in the redzone. But when you have a bad offensive line? You will not have redzone success and you become predictable.
  13. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

8,598 Messages
    3,486 Likes Received
    i think witten is one dude who has enough universal respect to cut thru the anti-cowboys bias from the selection committee....at least i hope.
  14. SuspectCorner

SuspectCorner Bromo

7,523 Messages
    14 Likes Received
    when the team has little in the way of a viable goal line running game - witten will be forced to stay in pass protection rather than getting out as a redzone target. that's just the hand he was dealt this season.

Jerry, please draft/trade for o-line talent ALREADY.
  15. Lazyking

Lazyking Active Member

700 Messages
    72 Likes Received
    Witten has been a top five TE since basically he joined the league. Will likely be 2nd or first all time in TE receptions when he's all done.. if that's not first ballot HOF I don't know what is.

He's not the fastest TE or the most talented but he gets open, makes catches and can block pretty well.
  16. AMERICAS_FAN

AMERICAS_FAN Active Member

7,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'm not trying to minimize Witten's accomplishments, but when your most productive receiver by far is the TE then that's a problem; because it means you have no true WRs nearly as consistent and reliable as the TE in this passing league.
  17. Lazyking

Lazyking Active Member

700 Messages
    72 Likes Received

Tell that to Rob Gronkowski
  18. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

20,272 Messages
    688 Likes Received
    Dez Bryant is ranked 7th in the NFL in receptions with 65. Miles Austin is ranked 24th with 49. Looks like their receivers are getting open. Tony Gonzales leads the Falcons in receptions with 64 ranking him 8th in the league. Roddy White is ranked 11th with 62 catches. Julio Jones is ranked 32nd with 47 receptions.
  19. TheFinisher

TheFinisher Well-Known Member

2,298 Messages
    451 Likes Received
    Witten has the most receptions but is last in the NFL in Yards per Catch and has caught zero TDs from Romo this year.

hmmmm
  20. DTK

DTK Member

681 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    That's because our running game is so poor, that Witten has essentially become our running game! Plus, he's the only one that Romo trusts to run a hot route. And since Romo is constantly being pressured, Witten is having to ALWAYS run hot routes instead of deeper routes.