1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

After watching this weekend's games, are the Cowboys close?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Zordon, Jan 13, 2013.

1. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

9,918 Messages
    5,325 Likes Received
    Good Point. I think that issue gets partially resolved by the end of this coming week.
  2. Aven8

Aven8 Well-Known Member

4,312 Messages
    912 Likes Received
    As long as Garrett doesn't get in the way then yes. If he does then no.
  3. Bigdog24

Bigdog24 Well-Known Member

1,962 Messages
    247 Likes Received
    When this team is clicking on all cylinders, it can be competitive with the best of NFL teams... But that is the problem, they only click on all cylinders for 1 or 2 game's a year.... This team is not disciplined enough, or physical enough to play 4qtrs for 16 games....the late 4th QTR comebacks are the best example......Good teams don't fumble, Good teams dont turnover the ball.....Good teams WIN the TURNOVER battle. Good teams score in the REDZONE.... Talent is there....Coaching SUCK as usual

16plus years of NO discipline, NOT physical...cant tackle = NOT CLOSE......fix that and the Cowboys will be CLOSE..
  4. Mr Cowboy

Mr Cowboy Well-Known Member

8,586 Messages
    836 Likes Received
    These teams play with urgency, trying to make the most out of every possession. That is something lacking with the Cowboys. Garrett comes out in the first half and wastes possessions, and 3 and outs mean nothing to him. We fall behind and get unbalanced!
  5. AdamJT13

AdamJT13 Salary Cap Analyst

14,985 Messages
    456 Likes Received
    We were close enough to play the Ravens and Falcons down to the last possession on the road.
  6. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

7,838 Messages
    804 Likes Received
    Our team needs to play faster to be close to these teams.

All of these playoff teams run their offense faster than we do.

Maybe that has something to do with knowing what they're doing.

All I know is that they're all much more aggressive, fast-paced, physical than we are.

If we watch another season of Romo taking it down to 0 every play, I think we have no chance.
  7. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

4,080 Messages
    460 Likes Received
  8. Gemini Dolly

Gemini Dolly Well-Known Member

6,589 Messages
    650 Likes Received
    To make the playoffs, we are close.

To make any noise in the playoffs...eh no.
  9. Double Trouble

Double Trouble Well-Known Member

8,475 Messages
    244 Likes Received
    Three of the teams I saw today are significantly better than Dallas. Only a fool would pretend otherwise.
  10. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

21,536 Messages
    8,485 Likes Received
    Pretty meaningless.

That's like saying the Eagles or Redskins were close last year because they beat the Super Bowl champion Giants.

Close to what? Winning a title? That would take winning a minimum of 3 games in a row against top competition. We probably haven't done that in nearly 20 years.

This sort of thinking is what leads to failed offseasons. There's a reason why we are always in the same spot every January. We're not good enough. We've got no offensive line whatsoever and about as ordinary a defensive line as you'll find in the league. How can any team be close when that is true?
  11. Risen Star

21,536 Messages
    8,485 Likes Received
    That's more reasonable.

Bad teams can make the playoffs in this NFL. So we got a shot.
  12. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

9,918 Messages
    5,325 Likes Received
    hey but at least the young savvy numbers guru, stephen jones, has left us in a position where we have lots of cap room to spend on multiple free agents this offseason.

oh wait...
  13. Dash28

Dash28 Felis silvestris catus

6,758 Messages
    527 Likes Received
    If we really invest in the trenches...

Biggest hold back is the main man at the top.
  14. TheFinisher

TheFinisher Well-Known Member

2,463 Messages
    621 Likes Received
    We need a complete culture change, and I don't see that happening until Garrett is removed from the picture and Jerry hands the keys over to a real HC.

Once that happens, and the necessary overhaul takes place, there will be hope.

But until then we're just running in place. 9-7 to 7-9 football team that is not a serious SB contender.
  15. PA Cowboy Fan

PA Cowboy Fan Well-Known Member

1,835 Messages
    1,277 Likes Received
    Especially if they expand the playoffs.
  16. Risen Star

21,536 Messages
    8,485 Likes Received
    Yeah, you'd think with a roster full of holes in so many critical positions you'd at least have some cap room available to address it.

Outstanding work by the front office.

If any one of us was as incompetent in our job we would be fired.
  17. mahoneybill

mahoneybill Well-Known Member

991 Messages
    291 Likes Received
    Excellent
  18. yimyammer

yimyammer Well-Known Member

4,651 Messages
    214 Likes Received
    NE lost their best receiver (debatably second best) and their best RB at the start of the game & then they proceeded to hang 40+ on Houston
  19. CowboyChris

CowboyChris Well-Known Member

2,705 Messages
    64 Likes Received
    personally i think we are miles away, who here thinks Romo couldve outdueled Manning in Denver, or Ryan in Atlanta, or Brady in NE, or Kapernick in SF?

now we are having to re-build our defense, i dont care what anyone says, you are not just going to go from a 3-4 to 4-3 overnight and be a great defense. this is at least a 2-3 year transition.

offensively we are handicapped right away by garrett and his gameplanning, his poor situational and clock management. and the slop we have for an OL.

we have so many holes to fill around here, by the time we can get the players we need, the core players will be too old, and we will have to start all over again.
  20. Arkyvarminter

Arkyvarminter Well-Known Member

1,066 Messages
    183 Likes Received
    What do these teams have that we don't? They are well coached, balanced football teams that don't shoot themselves in the foot with penalties. They have good O and D lines. Something we don't have. We also don't have the mindset that we are going to win at all costs and everyone is going to play mistake free football. The Cowboys are not that far away from going deep in the playoffs.

We could have played with any of these teams this weekend if we were healthy,had a playcaller, and cut out the penalties. When your in the redzone and dumb plays are called you usually don't score. Our coach doesn't run screens very often and has the perfect backs to do so. When the line isn't blocking, which is often, where are the quick slants? Why does Romo refuse to throw the ball away instead of forcing the ball into coverage? Its coaching. Even when we are healthy we make the same mistakes and the playcalling is part of the problem when we fail to move the ball. I don't know where JG ranks as a playcaller but I bet he is on down the list. If we would have started out 2012 with a good playcaller, we would have won a few more games in my opinion. I'm not making excuses for Romo but he is asked to do too much while very talented players he lines up with could take a load off his shoulders with good playcalling. I think Romo knows that the playcalling sucks but he would never admit it. Can Bill Callahan call a good game? I don't know but I bet he would be better than Garrett. Its like this team has a bunch of really good players but only a handfull can make plays in crucial situations. We have to cut out the penalties in 2013 because they will cost a team games just like a turnover will. Garrett may become a good coach and I haven't really given up on him. He just needs to swallow his pride and turn over the playcalling to someone else and preferably an accomplished one. As for Rob Ryan, I was surprised he was fired but I don't think he was anything special. Hopefully this Kiffin guy will be better. I think if Tony Romo had a good playcaller his numbers may go down but winning would happen more often. Just my opinion and I"m sure others will disagree and thats ok too.............