1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

After watching this weekend's games, are the Cowboys close?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Zordon, Jan 13, 2013.

1. mahoneybill

mahoneybill Active Member

626 Messages
    153 Likes Received
    Well stated. Watching the protection the QB's had revealed a lot.

Also watching the safety play was eye opening when seeing the range of Hawks player
  2. JackWagon

JackWagon Well-Known Member

1,388 Messages
    113 Likes Received
    After these weekend games i dont know who i want more on my team ... Tom Brady or Bill Belicheck. Im leaning towards brady.
  3. Joe Rod

Joe Rod When Keeping it Real Goes Wrong

8,319 Messages
    476 Likes Received
    For years Dallas has been the Koko B. Ware of the NFL. They land their high flying kicks and strut around the ring, make you feel like they can pull it out. Then the Undertaker finally nabs em and gives him the Tombstone Pile Driver.

We all leave thinking that Koko was so close. Each and every time.
  4. JackWagon

JackWagon Well-Known Member

1,388 Messages
    113 Likes Received

That is a GREAT Analogy ... we are the pretender in a wrestlin match ... we look like we have it in us to finally win .. but no ... we get pinned at the last second by a huge comeback.
  5. JohnsKey19

JohnsKey19 Well-Known Member

6,037 Messages
    203 Likes Received
    Probably the greatest analogy I've seen/heard describing the recent Cowboys teams.

As far as the teams playing this weekend. I'm most impressed by the development of Russell Wilson and Kapernick. Essentially out of nowhere, two budding stars at the QB position.
  6. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Well-Known Member

1,864 Messages
    577 Likes Received
    :lmao2: v
    I'm a semi Romo fan, especially with our line, but acknowledge our issues. But those 2 make you see that some guys can just get it done. They definitely have better lines but both of their biggest plays involve evading pressure and making plays with arm or legs. Not sure what they'd do on our team but I like the confidence they give off.
  7. CowboyGil

CowboyGil Active Member

897 Messages
    161 Likes Received
    Not to mention they both have top 10 RB's.
  8. TheSport78

TheSport78 The Excellence of Execution

8,432 Messages
    408 Likes Received
    AKA a jobber
  9. CowboyChris

CowboyChris Well-Known Member

2,674 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    btw we were 1-5 vs playoff teams this year, we beat Cinncy, and lost to Ravens, Seattle, Atlanta, and twice to the Skins.
  10. JohnsKey19

JohnsKey19 Well-Known Member

6,037 Messages
    203 Likes Received
    It's pretty impressive for a QB to post nearly 300 passing yards and 200 rushing yards in an NFL playoff game. This guy was a backup less than 2 months ago...
  11. DOUBLE WING

DOUBLE WING Well-Known Member

2,971 Messages
    514 Likes Received
    The truth of the NFL is that every team is "close". Cleveland won five games, but all they're really missing is a QB. That's not to say once they get a QB that they're an immediate Superbowl contender, but they could certainly be a playoff team with a good QB.

Every team in the NFL is really only missing one or two things from being a contender. That really makes our long drought of mediocrity all the more troublesome to accept.
  12. McLovin

McLovin Well-Known Member

2,770 Messages
    525 Likes Received
    Or not be hired in the first place...Cant see that that the way S and J Jones present themselves in public interviews (i.e. buffoonery) would be much different than them answering a "WHat is your philospohy on building a team?", "what are the important cogs outside of QB you covet?" from a real interview
  13. silver

silver Well-Known Member

5,134 Messages
    157 Likes Received
    you are what the record says you are. yes we're close to making the playoffs but we're also close to blowing the team up and starting all over from scratch.
  14. sonnyboy

sonnyboy Benched

7,355 Messages
    0 Likes Received

You're never as close as you think when you're certain you're inches away and never far as you think when convinced all hope is lost.

I for one would love to see the Cowboys team we put on the field week one go heads up this weekend against say Atlanta.

I choose Atlanta for the simple reason that in my opinion they're us minus 7-8 season ending/severely limiting injuries to key contributers.

It's hard for the average fan to accept this for many reasons.....

1) The randomness and chance of it is difficult to take. For them it all needs to be merit based. Those playing this weekend just did it right/better and if we do it right better next year, we'll reap the rewards.
    The reality of it is, luck does play a part. And if we don't see more good than bad luck, we won't advance to or in the post season in 2013.

2)They're convinced we're not doing it right/don't have the players and any consession to injuries playing a part in our demise is counter intuiative toward gettings things right.

Few things I'm certain of:

1) With better health, we would have fared much better this year.
    2) That better or perhaps our best, wouldn't have been good enough to win a SB.
    3) Whatever plan we take going forward needs to take injuries and age into account. And I'm not just talking about doing all we can to increase depth, yada yada yada.....we allways attempt to do that.

I'm talking about a two pronged approach aimed at protecting our franchise QB and limiting the snaps of some of our key contributers: Ware, Ratliff and Witten.

When week 17 rolls around, we need our best playing thier best. The only way I see that is improving our OL to give our frnchise QB the best chance to still be playing and limiting the snaps our key elder contributers play.

Ware and Ratliff need to be 60%-70% partime players. And Witten should catch no more than 60 balls. We need to get Hanna on the field more to give Witten the best shot to be 100% for crunch time.
  15. GimmeTheBall!

GimmeTheBall! Junior College Transfer

12,366 Messages
    502 Likes Received
    After watching this weekend's games, I think the Cowboys are like not remotely close.
    I saw a lot of hard hits. then I think of the Cowboys defense and think of all the gutlessness.
    I saw a lot of good, hard running, then I think of Murray struggling to gain 100 yards a game.

We are not close.
  16. Falcon554

Falcon554 Well-Known Member

1,077 Messages
    158 Likes Received
    1000% right