1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Agree or disagree: Of 3 big potential LBs, Wimbley seems the best w/linemen?

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by TruBlueCowboy, Apr 28, 2006.

1. TruBlueCowboy

TruBlueCowboy New Member

7,301 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Maybe some of you folks who watch a lot of college football can help me out but I've been watching a lot of highlight reels of Wimbley, Carpenter and Lawson. It's really hard to tell what kind of players they are when you're only watching 10-15 highlights of multiple seasons, but one thing becomes apparent:

1) Bobby Carpenter usually gets to the QB because of the blitzes and linemen not protecting their gaps. It always looks like his highlight sacks are because he has a clean hole to the QB.

2) Manny Lawson usually gets to the QB because of pressure from the other side. It always looks like his highlight sacks are because the pocket is just straight up collapsing on all sides. (Not to take anything away from him. It's his blinding speed that allows him to get there first.)

3) Kimerion Wimbley seems to get pressure because he just manhandles the linemen in his way. He does have a damn good nose tackle on that team but the highlights I watch always seem to have him taking on linemen one-on-one and winning the battle.

Now I know this is a broad generalization, and if Lawson or Carpenter are playing the linebacker spot in college they may not even be asked to fulfill this role, but from what I've seen, Wimbley really does seem like the guy who would most likely be able to take on linemen in our 3-4.

Am I completely off or do you think Wimbley would be the best candidate for matching up with NFL offensive tackles? If so, if he has the speed to cover (which he claims he does in his interview, says he's even covered receivers before http://dallascowboyszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54181), I don't see why he shouldn't be the first choice. Decisions, decisions, decisions..... ;)
  2. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,686 Messages
    2,423 Likes Received
    I agree with you 100%. It looks to me like Wimbley is much better at getting to the QB by going through the OT compared to the other two. That was the first thing I thought when seeing his highlight clips.

But like you say, I'm mainly going off highlights.

And that's not to put down the other two candidates, Rack and theogt. ;)
  3. dcboy

dcboy Member

178 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I think the same thing and I am also only going by highlights. But from the clips Wimberly is my top realistic lb choice.
  4. cboyd

cboyd Member

392 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    You are exactly right my friend, Wimbley does look better in the highlights, and he seems to be a guy that can terroize a defense a lot more than Lawson or Carpentar. I have these OLB's in this order. Wimbley, Lawson, Carpentar.
  5. jazzcat22

jazzcat22 Well-Known Member

8,369 Messages
    987 Likes Received
    Could be just the highlights that are shown of Carpenter, because it looks better in some editor's opinion. I can't go by anything other than highlights of Wimbley and Lawson. But being an Ohio State fan, watch just about all of Carpenter's games. There were many times he fought through blocks, threw guys to the ground, chased down and sacked the QB. Using strength, speed and athleticism to get to his target, QB, RB, TE, WR. Not saying he would be any better than the others, but all his sacks did not come from holes opened by blitzes.
  6. cboyd

cboyd Member

392 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    It's always good to have opinions from people who have seen the guys play. I do think that highlights help a lot because that is all some of us can go by. Last year I watched highlights and determined DeMarcus Ware was the guy we should get, and see how that turned out so far.
  7. AdamJT13

AdamJT13 Salary Cap Analyst

14,935 Messages
    309 Likes Received
    I agree that Wimbley showed the best pass-rushing skills of the three. What worries me about him, though, would be his ability to drop into coverage. Carpenter has experience doing it, and Lawson (like Ware) has the athletic ability to pick it up quickly. Wimbley doesn't have the experience (he doesn't have a ton of experience anyway), and he doesn't have quite the same athleticism as Lawson. Still, I don't know how much the team will worry about Wimbley's coverage ability, since the run-stopping ability and pass-rushing ability seem to be there.
  8. TruBlueCowboy

TruBlueCowboy New Member

7,301 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I don't disagree with you at all. Like jazzcat said, it's good to hear from the fans of the college teams. I'm sure he's had success against linemen, I just notice that a lot of his highlight sacks seem to come from circumstances that would mainly only be beneficial in a 4-3 alignment, and also wonder how much he benefits from those other linebackers around him creating problems.
  9. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

31,446 Messages
    2,307 Likes Received
    In my own world I would prefer the guy to be good at stopping the run first, be able to cover second and rush the passer third.
  10. TruBlueCowboy

TruBlueCowboy New Member

7,301 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I guess what would keep me happy is knowing a healthy Singleton could still get some heavy playing minutes and Parcells could gradually introduce Wimbley as he felt more comfortable with him. If Wimbley has that same success with NFL offensive tackles, boy, just thinking of the damage him and Ware could do together. I imagine Ware's highlight reel next year would look like Lawson's college clips. ;)
  11. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

43,721 Messages
    435 Likes Received
    Word for word what he said.
  12. CrazyCowboy

CrazyCowboy Well-Known Member

32,162 Messages
    133 Likes Received
    My $$$ goes to:

2) Manny Lawson usually gets to the QB because of pressure from the other side. It always looks like his highlight sacks are because the pocket is just straight up collapsing on all sides. (Not to take anything away from him. It's his blinding speed that allows him to get there first.)
  13. acheman

acheman Member

975 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Agree.
    Which is why he will not be available at #18.
  14. Avery

Avery The Dog that Saved Charleston

7,846 Messages
    344 Likes Received
    Wimbley would be my choice of the three followed by Lawson then Carpenter.
  15. MiStar

MiStar New Member

395 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Ditto. It would take quite a bit of luck for us to get him without trading up.
  16. whcarm

whcarm Member

482 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    The Cowboys need a OLB opposite Ware who can rush the passer, stop the run AND cover in the passing game.

We know that Carpenter is very good at all those things. We aren't as sure about Lawson and Wimbley. Of the two of them, I think Lawson (who has much better speed) would be better at covering. I think Wimbley would be the weakest of the three at dropping back into coverage.

Wimbley may be most like Ware. But do we need a carbon-copy of Ware playing opposite him? I think it would be smarter to get a more complete LB opposite Ware who could come in immediately without much of a learning curve.

Carpenter, Lawson, Greenway and then Wimbley would be my choices for OLB with our first round pick.
  17. theogt

43,721 Messages
    435 Likes Received
    In the Lawson interview thread I posted a quote from an interview in which he states that he was often started at LB particularly for his ability to cover.
  18. Funxva

Funxva Inventor of the Whizzinator

1,685 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    Which linebacker position? Left or right? :p:
  19. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Lost in the Woods

4,451 Messages
    131 Likes Received
    What I would like to know is whether the Big 3 are that much better now and potentially than players that could be had in later rounds?

If so, what positions of need are there where the drop off between what will be available in the first and after will be the greatest?
  20. theogt

43,721 Messages
    435 Likes Received
    Funny you should ask. :)