1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

AIG says no to injured in Iraq, yes to bonuses

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by JBond, Apr 20, 2009.

1. JBond

JBond Well-Known Member

6,711 Messages
    29 Likes Received
    AIG says no to injured
    in Iraq, yes to bonuses

Insurance giant AIG, the same company that rewarded its executives with millions in bonuses and spent hundreds of thousands of dollars on a spa retreat at an exclusive California resort and private jets, has been nickel and diming employees of private contractors injured in Iraq, with a pattern of denying and delaying their claims, a joint investigation between 20/20, the Los Angeles Times and the non-profit group ProPublica has found.

In a joint investigation with 20/20, ProPublica and the Los Angeles Times analyzed some 30,000 claims filed by people working for American defense contractors overseas, covered by AIG under a federally-mandated program. Almost half – 43 percent – of the most serious cases were challenged by AIG, the analysis found, particularly those where claims were made for treatment of post traumatic stress disorder.

Watch the full story tonight on 20/20 at 10p.m. E.T.
  2. DIAF

DIAF DivaLover159

4,009 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    This is what insurance companies do. Nothing to do with who got a bonus and who didn't.
  3. JBond

JBond Well-Known Member

6,711 Messages
    29 Likes Received
    I have never had a claim challenged. Have you?
  4. DIAF

DIAF DivaLover159

4,009 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    My father has. My father had a neuromuscular disease when I was a kid, and the insurance company did their very best to try and not pay for anything.
  5. JBond

JBond Well-Known Member

6,711 Messages
    29 Likes Received
    That sucks. My mother has had some issues too, now that I think about it. Being relatively young, having good insurance that covers everything is something I take for granted.