1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Twitter: Aikman says no to being a GM

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Feb 5, 2014.

1. BoysFan4ever

BoysFan4ever Well-Known Member

4,103 Messages
    1,098 Likes Received
    He wasn't offered a job in Dallas. And he won't be. Jerry said he's doing a great job these last few years & Gene has covered up all the mirrors in their mansion so Jerry won't have to look in one.
  2. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

64,304 Messages
    3,181 Likes Received
    The same as John Elway, except with one extra SB win.
    65fastback2plus2 likes this.
  3. daveferr33

daveferr33 Well-Known Member

235 Messages
    292 Likes Received

As a former player and broadcaster, and with no front office experience, the same qualifications as Matt Millen.
  4. CanadianCowboysFan

CanadianCowboysFan Lightning Rod

15,068 Messages
    265 Likes Received

exactly, he could always go back to broadcasting
  5. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

64,304 Messages
    3,181 Likes Received
    The reporter. Duh! ;)

Jon Machota ‏@jonmachota 1h
    Roger Staubach: Aikman as Cowboys GM is a "good idea. ... He could be another John Elway. I'd love to see Troy involved with the Cowboys."
  6. RXP

RXP Well-Known Member

2,508 Messages
    747 Likes Received
    Actually I would like it too IF he were allowed to actually run the football operations. As it is, it won't happen so Troy will have to look elsewhere of he wants to be a GM.
  7. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

26,389 Messages
    1,738 Likes Received
    He's got a great job right now. Color commentary once a week in the biggest games on Fox.

I wouldn't leave that job. I would love to have that job.
  8. WV Cowboy

WV Cowboy Waitin' on the 6th

10,483 Messages
    876 Likes Received
    If Aikman was the GM for any other team, .. after knowing that Landry died a Giants fan ??

I'm not sure I could stomach, or survive that.
  9. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,357 Messages
    1,342 Likes Received
    The only answer that will be true is that he is not a Jones. He would not be a personnel evaluation guy here, just like Elway is not a personnel evaluation guy in Denver. He would be involved. Elway is involved. It's funny how no scouting experience excites more than minimal coaching experience. Tells you all you really need to know about the mentality.

On to reality. He makes around 10 million a year to be a 6 months out of the year announcer. Does anyone really think an NFL team is going to match that opportunity?
  10. newnationcb

newnationcb Well-Known Member

2,416 Messages
    62 Likes Received
    Exactly! I wouldn't even consider Troy for a CFL GM job at this point. He hasn't even demonstrated any football knowledge above the novice level on the telestrator from the booth-and I understand that his dumbed down commentary is part of his appeal.

I swear people on this board or jokes when it comes to their admiration of Cowboy championship team players.
  11. bounce

bounce Active Member

561 Messages
    120 Likes Received
    I don't disagree. I think it's more a case of "anyone but Jerry/Stephen," and hiring Troy (or anyone, for that matter) would be the first step in a delegation of power - or righting the ship. It's not to say that I think Troy is a genius GM in waiting, it's that it would be a step towards the way a proper NFL organization should be run, with a series of checks and balances as opposed to absolute power, which we're currently mired in.
    dreghorn2 likes this.
  12. BoysFan4ever

4,103 Messages
    1,098 Likes Received
    I disagree! He has plenty of football knowledge. Not only from playing but living in that world for many months out of the year. I'm sure he keeps up with a ton of current players & coaches.
  13. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

21,657 Messages
    1,527 Likes Received
    By timing not being right, I think he meant to say "while Jerry is alive".

he like Jerry personally, but I doubt seriously he would want to GM under him.
  14. Wheeltax

Wheeltax Well-Known Member

852 Messages
    368 Likes Received
    I can't imagine that Aikman has any less football knowledge than Elway does. You can't really go by the TV commentary.

Granted, I had to laugh a little when Aikman was going on during the Super Bowl about how no "bus driver" QB could make it that far.
    65fastback2plus2 likes this.
  15. BoysFan4ever

4,103 Messages
    1,098 Likes Received
    I just read a biography of Coach Landry. Not the one where it talked about him dying a Giant fan but interesting enough the author said Jerry & Tom had a mutual contempt for the other. I have contempt for Jerry. Nice to know Tom felt the same. :)
  16. Frozen700

Frozen700 Well-Known Member

11,803 Messages
    481 Likes Received
    Where did he straight up say "No"?

Reading his comments it sound as if, if the door was open...he would jump right in. The fact it isn't open, and he knows Jerry won't open it for now, of course he will act as if, he rather stay at the Job he's doing now.
  17. ninja

ninja Numbnuts

5,402 Messages
    383 Likes Received
    There is a better announcer out there who would make an excellent GM in my opinion and that is Mike Mayock.
  18. cajuncocoa

cajuncocoa Bleeding silver and blue Zone Supporter

2,298 Messages
    298 Likes Received
    Read: "There's no way on God's green Earth that I would work for Jerry Jones again."
    bark likes this.
  19. hipfake08

hipfake08 Well-Known Member

4,046 Messages
    48 Likes Received
    I don't think Aikman had taken as many shots to the head as Matt Millen.
  20. daveferr33

daveferr33 Well-Known Member

235 Messages
    292 Likes Received
    Well... isn't that the same argument for Jerry being qualified as GM? He played football and has been around football people for 20 years now.