1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

AJ Green 19 Targets

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by dcjules, Nov 1, 2013.

1. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

11,914 Messages
    929 Likes Received
    Dez was open. Romo couldn't pull the trigger. Have a hard time blaming Garrett and Callahan for this after watching the All-22 tape.

YR
    dcjules likes this.
  2. iceberg

iceberg detoxed Zone Supporter

28,177 Messages
    1,212 Likes Received
    dude, build a bridge and get over it.
  3. Gameover

Gameover Well-Known Member

2,799 Messages
    376 Likes Received
    Dez was targeted 16 times vs. Philly.
  4. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

20,812 Messages
    967 Likes Received
    8(4)
    13(3)
    6(0)
    9(8)
    10(4)
    8(2)
    17(7)
    6(10)

There are the number of times Dez has been targeted in each game this season. Terrance's numbers are in parenthesis. Williams has been targeted more than Dez only once, which was the last game. Dez is normally getting targeted plenty of times a game. His targets are up from last season on a per game basis.
  5. jimnabby

jimnabby Well-Known Member

3,627 Messages
    456 Likes Received
    You started this thread by citing a number. That's what you based your whole argument on: a stat. People showed you stats that contradicted the conclusion you drew. In response, you've just changed your arguments around ("we don't throw to him early"), and haven't supported them. When you say "we sometimes take awhile to get him involved", that's a claim, not an opinion. That can be checked. The fact is that we throw to him about the same amount in every quarter. Sure, there are games where we don't throw to him until later, but that means there are other games where we throw to him more early. What EXACTLY is your criticism?
  6. TrailBlazer

TrailBlazer Well-Known Member

1,626 Messages
    603 Likes Received
    Idc about targets. I want him to have around 8+ receptions a game. Every game. That's not too much to expect.
    BigStar likes this.
  7. rocyaice

rocyaice Well-Known Member

6,184 Messages
    663 Likes Received
    6 to 9 targets a game is unacceptable for your #1 option on your team. That's just insane in my eyes.

That's exactly why you can't score consistently and why you are 4-4. Dez needs to be featured more. There's no argument to support otherwise. I could see if Miles and Demarco were healthy but they aren't.
    BigStar likes this.
  8. TrailBlazer

TrailBlazer Well-Known Member

1,626 Messages
    603 Likes Received
    I seen a stat on here the other day basically saying he was targeted least in the 4th quarter.
    BigStar likes this.
  9. TonyRomo17

TonyRomo17 Well-Known Member

668 Messages
    255 Likes Received
    aj green was getting single coverage all game lol, just look at the kansas game where they tried to single cover Dez and how many targets he got
  10. joseephuss

20,812 Messages
    967 Likes Received
    Some of Dez's splits:

In wins this season
    21 receptions
    206 yards
    1 TD

In losses this season
    24 receptions
    435 yards
    7 TDs

1st quarter
    11 receptions
    142 yards
    3 TDs

2nd quarter

11 receptions
    126 yards
    3 TDs

3rd quarter
    13 receptions
    158 yards
    1 TD

4th quarter
    10 receptions
    215 yards
    1 TD
  11. nake

nake Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

4,157 Messages
    822 Likes Received
    On the NFL Network, Deion Sanders said last week that you don't put your shutdown corner on the #1 receiver. You double the #1 and put your shutdown guy on the #2. Now, I'm thinking Deion would know what he is talking about, being arguably the best shutdown corner in NFL history.

So, why did we have Carr on Megatron instead of doubling him?
    BigStar likes this.
  12. jimnabby

3,627 Messages
    456 Likes Received
    I love that: "There's no argument to support otherwise." At least you're honest that facts will have no effect on your opinion. Here are some facts anyway.

In which games did we target Dez the most? PHI: 16 targets, 17 points. KC: 13 targets, 16 points.
    In which games did we target Dez the least? STL: 6 targets, 31 points. DET: 6 targets, 30 points.

Hmm, I wonder if it's possible that the reality is more complicated and nuanced than you're proposing. Nah, I suppose not.
  13. jimnabby

3,627 Messages
    456 Likes Received
    I think the answer to both "why'd we put Carr on Megatron" and "why didn't we double him" is the same: our safeties suck. In particular, there were multiple plays where a safety should have been there but was distracted by a shiny object elsewhere on the field.
    BigStar likes this.
  14. jimnabby

3,627 Messages
    456 Likes Received
    Yeah, there's a whole thread on that. The original number that was posted was wrong. And there were 3 games where we barely threw in the 4th quarter (because we were way ahead vs. STL, WAS and PHI)
  15. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,376 Messages
    849 Likes Received
    Constantly getting 10 a game? Like AJ Green, right? The same AJ Green who got targeted only 7 times the week before (in a win)?

The funny thing is with Green, three of his four top targeted games --- games where they tried to go to him 13, 15, 15, and 19 times were losses. Those also happen to be games where Dalton was picked 6 times in total
  16. rocyaice

6,184 Messages
    663 Likes Received
    So did you watch those games? Because even with 13 targets Dez should've been targeted more in that Chiefs game. No one could guard him. He DOMINATED Brandon Flowers. And in regards to the Lions and Rams games, I guess if you believe you can rely on the defense to give you 4 Turnovers and to have you in good field position all day from your Special Teams or if you can get 200+ yards from Demarco you can get some W's in there.

But in reality, your not going to get 200+ yards consistently from Demarco or 4 turnovers every game. But what you can do is feature Dez Bryant in the offense consistently. I can't believe this is even being debated. On a offense with a hurt Miles and Demarco, a offense where Witten is being taken out of games by double teams we are sitting here debating Dez shouldn't be featured more in the offense? Am I the only one that finds that insane?
    BigStar likes this.
  17. joseephuss

20,812 Messages
    967 Likes Received
    Carr isn't a shutdown corner. He is perhaps the Cowboys best corner, but he isn't on the same level as the great shutdown corners. Plus they were also giving Carr help. Nothing wrong with that approach. It just didn't work. Could have been worse if they just left Carr on an island the whole game.

Deion went up against the #1 receiver plenty of times. He often went up against Michael Irvin and Jerry Rice during his days. Look at the 1994 NFC championship game. They had plays when had Deion locking up Alvin Harper while they doubled Irvin for good portions of the game, but they also stuck Sanders on Michael one-on-one for good portions of the game as well. It doesn't have to be one or the other and Deion knows that.
  18. rocyaice

6,184 Messages
    663 Likes Received
    AJ Green and Andy Dalton aren't a standard for me. I personally believe Romo and Dez are a better tandem and I RARELY see Dez getting enough targets that warrants Romo to throw INT's. Romo threw in double coverage last week and Dez still snagged the touchdown.

I don't really care about how many targets gets. My whole argument is that this offense needs to be better. Its far too hard for us to get 7 points. It shouldn't be that way. But I personally don't see any better solution for this offense to become more consistent and improve other than featuring Dez Bryant more. If you have any solutions i'm willing to listen to them but I don't see it.
  19. rocyaice

6,184 Messages
    663 Likes Received
    In 2013, who is a shut down corner? Richard Sherman is probably the best corner in the game right now and he gets burnt. With 2013 NFL rules there is no such thing as a shut down corner. Just isn't.
    BigStar likes this.
  20. joseephuss

20,812 Messages
    967 Likes Received
    Dallas is second to Denver in points scored so far this season. Dallas is third in the league in TD passes. The solution is to improve the running game. Not totals, but the efficiency.