1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Al Gore Blames Myanmar Cyclone on Global Warming

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by Hostile, May 7, 2008.

1. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,386 Messages
    1,431 Likes Received
    Al Gore Ties Myanmar Cyclone to Global Warming

[IMG]

Al Gore says that the cyclone in Myanmar is a result of global warming. He told NPR yesterday:
    And as we’re talking today, Terry, the death count in Myanmar from the cyclone that hit there yesterday has been rising from 15,000 to way on up there to much higher numbers now being speculated. And last year a catastrophic storm from last fall hit Bangladesh. The year before, the strongest cyclone in more than 50 years hit China – and we’re seeing consequences that scientists have long predicted might be associated with continued global warming.
    Gore said that because ocean temperatures are on the rise, extreme and dangerous weather is also on the rise.

Critics of Gore say he's taking advantage of the deaths of thousands of innocent people to promote his political advantage. But, if he truly believes that we must address climate change to stop such disasters and save future lives, doesn't he have an obligation to speak up? If he is wrong about global warming, what harm is there in taking better care of the planet anyways?

Is Gore right to tie Myanmar Cyclone deaths to global warming?
  2. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

59,686 Messages
    2,704 Likes Received
    Have you noticed that the more attention he gets, the fatter he gets.

His flatulence alone is endangering the environment.

Guy is a complete nipplehead.
  3. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

21,789 Messages
    1,593 Likes Received
    :lmao: :gassy3: :gassy1: :explode:
  4. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

24,912 Messages
    586 Likes Received

The part that I've bolded is certainly a correct statement -- but as any scientist will tell you, linking a specific event to warming is just simply not possible. Of course, a scientist would also point to a lack of "causal" language in his quote...
  5. Seven

Seven Messenger to the football Gods

10,971 Messages
    362 Likes Received
    Can't these things be tracked with the use of the internet? Al ought to know this, man! Therefore, it's his fault.
  6. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,196 Messages
    1,300 Likes Received
    Well Hos, I do agree with you. Gore is a Wingnut of the first order, very little question about that IMO.

Unfortunatly, I also believe in the Global Warming theory so I'm kinda screwed here. On the one hand, I can't not agree with the guy, to some extent. On the other hand, if I agree with the guy, my next move is probably to go ahead and get myself fitted for my Nipplehead beanie.

I'm pretty much screwed.
  7. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

48,228 Messages
    2,799 Likes Received
    Right.

Of course it is Al.

Al Gore is a ****ing idiot.
  8. quincyyyyy

quincyyyyy Benched

463 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Everything he said is absolutely correct. The global rise in temperature results in many more low pressure systems than there used to be. Oh yeah I forgot silly me, the Right doesn't believe in science so you guys could probably care less.
  9. Danny White

Danny White Winter is Coming

12,345 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    That's an overstatement, as is Gore's statement.

Consider this statement from the 6th International Workshop on Tropical Cyclones of the World Meteorological Organization. Clearly the issue is far from settled.

http://www.gfdl.noaa.gov/~tk/glob_warm_hurr.html

10. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,478 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Tomorrow, there will be a bright reddish orange fire ball in the sky.

Due to the fact that it will emit heat, it will be caused by global warming.

Never mind the fact that it's been there for thousands of years or more.

These guys can't predict tomorrows weather and yet they get all kinds of attaboys for this junk? Please.

:bang2:
  11. Cajuncowboy

27,478 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    The average temp has not gone up in like 9 years.

There's your science for ya!
  12. quincyyyyy

quincyyyyy Benched

463 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Hurricanes growing fiercer with global warming

Elizabeth A. Thomson, News Office
    July 31, 2005
    Hurricanes have grown significantly more powerful and destructive over the last three decades due in part to global warming, says an MIT professor who warns that this trend could continue.
    "My results suggest that future warming may lead to an upward trend in [hurricanes'] destructive potential, and--taking into account an increasing coastal population--a substantial increase in hurricane-related losses in the 21st century," reports Kerry Emanuel in a paper appearing in the July 31 online edition of the journal Nature.
    Emanuel is a professor of meteorology in MIT's Department of Earth, Atmospheric and Planetary Sciences.
    Theories and computer simulations of climate indicate that warming should generate an increase in storm intensity. In other words, they should hit harder, produce higher winds and last longer.
    To explore that premise, Emanuel analyzed records of tropical cyclones--commonly called hurricanes or typhoons--since the middle of the 20th century. He found that the amount of energy released in these events in both the North Atlantic and the North Pacific oceans has increased markedly since the mid-1970s. Both the duration of the cyclones and the largest wind speeds they produce have increased by about 50 percent over the past 50 years.
    He further reports that these increases in storm intensity are mirrored by increases in the average temperature at the surface of the tropical oceans, suggesting that this warming--some of which can be ascribed to global warming--is responsible for the greater power of the cyclones.
    According to Jay Fein, director of the National Science Foundation's climate dynamics program, which funded the research, Emanuel's work "has resulted in an important measure of the potential impact of hurricanes on social, economic and ecological systems. It's an innovative application of a theoretical concept, and has produced a new analysis of hurricanes' strength and destructive potential."

http://web.mit.edu/newsoffice/2005/hurricanes.html
  13. Cajuncowboy

27,478 Messages
    0 Likes Received
  14. quincyyyyy

quincyyyyy Benched

463 Messages
    0 Likes Received
  15. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

59,686 Messages
    2,704 Likes Received
  16. Cajuncowboy

27,478 Messages
    0 Likes Received
  17. Seven

Seven Messenger to the football Gods

10,971 Messages
    362 Likes Received

...........and a :hammer: :hammer: for each of ya.

Well done, gents.
  18. quincyyyyy

quincyyyyy Benched

463 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Firstly, Dailytech is not a reputable scientific organization, so I could care less what those nuts think. Secondly, even if what they say is correct, you can't draw any conclusion about whether global warming is happening or not by looking at data over a twelve month period. One has to look at decades of data because one year could be an outlier.
  19. Cajuncowboy

27,478 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I see, and Wikepedia is the end all be all.

:lmao2:

Ooohh boy.
  20. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

48,228 Messages
    2,799 Likes Received
    With his hypocritical lifestyle and alarmist rhetoric, Al Gore does more damage than good to the Earth.

:fact: