1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Alabama and..... Florida State?

Discussion in 'Sports Zone' started by Rogah, Oct 20, 2013.

1. Rogah

Rogah Well-Known Member

3,675 Messages
    69 Likes Received
    The computers are forbidden from factoring margin of victory, so all they can really do is look at record, SOS, 2ndary SOS, etc.
  2. Rogah

Rogah Well-Known Member

3,675 Messages
    69 Likes Received
    With Mizzou losing today, I am pretty sure Oregon jumps FSU to #2 in the BCS tomorrow.
  3. Sarge

Sarge Red, White and Brew... Staff Member

20,778 Messages
    1,611 Likes Received
    As long as Alabama doesn't win it all - I'll be happy.
  4. viman96

viman96 Thread Killer

6,820 Messages
    373 Likes Received
    How does Missouri losing help Oregon? I would think the Ducks whopping #12 UCLA by 4 TDs and the Seminoles beating an unranked team would put them (Oregon) at 2.
  5. Rogah

Rogah Well-Known Member

3,675 Messages
    69 Likes Received
    Last week, Oregon was 0.008 behind FSU, and part of the reason behind that is due to the fact they were ranked #4 by the computers (behind FSU, Alabama, and Mizzou). With Missouri losing, they will be #3 in the computers, which is a gain of roughly 0.05 points, thereby enabling them to jump over FSU.
  6. viman96

viman96 Thread Killer

6,820 Messages
    373 Likes Received
    I forgot about the BCS computer rankings. I would think even if Missouri would have won the Ducks would be #2.
  7. Aikbach

Aikbach Well-Known Member

9,714 Messages
    37 Likes Received
    Oregon is the best team in the country right now, polls be damned.
    viman96 likes this.
  8. viman96

viman96 Thread Killer

6,820 Messages
    373 Likes Received
    Oregon back to #2. If they win out then I do not see how any team can logically pass them.
  9. Rogah

Rogah Well-Known Member

3,675 Messages
    69 Likes Received
    I agree, so long as they keep winning in convincing fashion (which I think they will).
  10. viman96

viman96 Thread Killer

6,820 Messages
    373 Likes Received
    The Pac12 is considered much better than the ACC so that alone should keep them at #2 if both teams win out.
  11. WV Cowboy

WV Cowboy Waitin' on the 6th

10,692 Messages
    1,057 Likes Received
    We have been talking about just this here in WV.

If it turns out to be Alabama -vs- FSU, .. the two head coaches would be from little WV towns about 20 miles from each other. That is pretty wild if you think about it.

I saw both of them play high school football against our high school.

Rich Rodriguez is from that same area as well. Saw him play high school ball too.

I don't really care who plays, but it would make a neat story-line for the game if it were Bama and FSU. (plus Bobby Bowden coached at WVU)
  12. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

60,475 Messages
    3,750 Likes Received

Yes but if you take one of those two teams and put Oregon in the title game with the other.

You would have one HC from WV and you would have an AD that is on the short list to be the next WVU AD (Rob Mullens, current AD of Oregon) who graduated from WVU years ago.
  13. Future

Future Intramural Legend

15,931 Messages
    1,312 Likes Received
    To win out, FSU would most likely have to beat Miami - another top 10 team - twice and beat Florida. I don't see how the Oregon pac 12 schedule is better than that.
  14. viman96

viman96 Thread Killer

6,820 Messages
    373 Likes Received
    Oregon still has #5 Stanford on the road. That trumps playing #7 Miami at home. After that game Oregon has a tougher remaining schedule than Florida State. I would not be surprised if Oregon State is a top 25 team when they play the "Civil War" game. And then there is the Pac12 Championship game which most likely will be against UCLA again and they could easily be a top 15 team.
  15. Future

Future Intramural Legend

15,931 Messages
    1,312 Likes Received
    Eh, forgot about stanford lol

I just think UCLA is highly overrated, and other than Oregon and Stanford, the whole pac 12 is. Actually, I dont really get how stanford is ranked so high...their best win, I guess, is UCLA, and they lost to Utah.

Plus, FSU just murdered Clemson, in Clemson. If they end up beating Miami twice, they could have 3 top 10 wins...and they haven't played in a close game yet. I think when all is said and done, they'll have a way better argument to be in than Oregon, if neither team loses.
  16. WV Cowboy

WV Cowboy Waitin' on the 6th

10,692 Messages
    1,057 Likes Received
    Didn't know that.
  17. viman96

viman96 Thread Killer

6,820 Messages
    373 Likes Received
    The Pac12 is considered a much better conference overall than the ACC which impacts rankings. Oregon is thumping everyone regardless of their rankings and pulling starters in the 2nd or 3rd quarter. IMO if UCLA was in the ACC you would have a completely different opinion of them. They are a good football team.
  18. Future

Future Intramural Legend

15,931 Messages
    1,312 Likes Received
    Considered better by who? And FSU hasn't played a close game either.

UCLA has played two good teams, Stanford and Oregon, and gotten beaten handily by both. The ACC has 3 legit top 10 teams, two of which are undefeated. I don't really think its even close, to be honest.
  19. viman96

viman96 Thread Killer

6,820 Messages
    373 Likes Received
    I think the Pac12 is considerably better than the ACC. However it does not matter what you and I think.
  20. Future

Future Intramural Legend

15,931 Messages
    1,312 Likes Received
    I disagree, it TOTALLY MATTERS what at least I think lol