1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Alameda Ta'amu

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by ThreeSportStar80, Nov 28, 2011.

1. ThreeSportStar80

ThreeSportStar80 Benched

27,093 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Could be on Dallas radar as a real NT type, dude is massive, 6'3 and around 330 LBS. It's time to move Jay Rat to DE and unleash him.
  2. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Have you seen Ta'amu play?
  3. cowboysfan31

cowboysfan31 Active Member

1,292 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    I have said this about Ta'Amu before but I will say it again here. When he has his shoulders square and is going forward he is a force that is hard to stop. The only problem is he gets turned and rode out of plays way too often for someone his size. I think he is just too stiff to be successful, but that is my personal opinion.
  4. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I completely agree with you. And while getting his pad level low and uitilizing leverage is technique which can be taught, I think he's a really stiff athlete who will have trouble in that department. He's not a dominant player at the college level and I have a hard time believing that will suddenly change as a pro against better competition.

Phil Taylor was 20x the prospect/player was coming out of Baylor.
  5. BAT

BAT Mr. Fixit

7,599 Messages
    569 Likes Received
    Phil Taylor? Wasn't he drafted by the Browns last season? He is one of the more productive rooks this season.
  6. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,303 Messages
    295 Likes Received
    I agree on moving Ratliff and adding a true NT to this style of defense but I'm not high on Ta'amu. He looks more like a 4-3 NT than a 3-4 NT.
    You want a 3-4 NT in this draft, Kwann Short who could also be a 3-4 DE and also Sylvester Williams.
  7. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,980 Messages
    988 Likes Received
    I like him too but after watching him play, I wasn't terrible impressed just like I liked Phil Taylor last year till I watched him play. Then again, I loved Kenrick Ellis last year, even more after watching him play, and I don't think he's done much of anything with the Jets yet, so what do I know.
  8. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Lol, reread my post. I'm saying Phil Taylor was a way better prospect than Alameda Ta'amu coming out of Baylor. Yes, Taylor was drafted in the 1st round (21st overall).

In other words, I don't think Ta'amu is much of a prospect, at least to even be considered in the 1st or 2nd round.
  9. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Well I guess that begs the question, how were you impressed/or like Phil Taylor before you watched him play?

Kenrick Ellis has only played in three games this season due to injury or suspension IIRC.

Phil Taylor has been very good for the Browns as a rookie: 42 tackles, 4 sacks, 1 FF, playing at the nose.
  10. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,980 Messages
    988 Likes Received
    Are the browns running the 3-4 again? I thought they had switched to the 4-3? Basically I liked his size and a lot of what was said about him, but when I watched him he had a lot of trouble with double teams, which I thought would be an issue at NT, although I did credit him with being very active for a guy his size, he chased down his fair share of runs from the opposite side, so I definitely liked his hustle.
  11. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I believe they're running a 43.