1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Alec Ogletree charged with DUI

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by RS12, Feb 16, 2013.

1. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,139 Messages
    1,123 Likes Received
    Former Georgia linebacker Alec Ogletree, a likely first-round pick in the 2013 draft and one of the top prospects at inside linebacker, was arrested recently for DUI.

“Last weekend, my client Alec Ogletree was pulled over for speeding and a lane violation in Arizona,” agent Pat Dye, Jr. tells PFT. “After the officers smelled alcohol, they conducted tests and also cited him for DUI. Although Alec regrets this incident terribly, he is thankful that there was no accident and that no one was hurt. Because this matter is still pending, we cannot comment further publicly at this time.”

It’s not the first red flag on Ogletree’s record. During the 2012 college football season, Ogletree was suspended four games by the Bulldogs after a positive drug test.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/16/alec-ogletree-charged-with-dui/
  2. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,139 Messages
    1,123 Likes Received
    What a dope.
  3. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,139 Messages
    1,123 Likes Received
    AJC UGA ‏@ajcuga
    At least $1 million mistake for former #UGA LB . . . First-round prospect Alec Ogletree charged with DUI in AZ http://wp.me/p14QSB-7iCp
    View summary Reply Retweet Favorite More
  4. Questfor6

Questfor6 Well-Known Member

1,283 Messages
    265 Likes Received
    Well glad I traded up for an idiot
  5. Biggems

Biggems White and Nerdy

11,670 Messages
    66 Likes Received
    just trying to show how bad he wants to play for the Cowboys
  6. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,422 Messages
    919 Likes Received
    What pin-head. The nfl draft a little more than two months away and he does this?
  7. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,852 Messages
    877 Likes Received
    You can cross him off the list for the Cowboys.
  8. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

4,027 Messages
    452 Likes Received
  9. funkytown

funkytown Well-Known Member

1,023 Messages
    54 Likes Received
    With the DWI problems this team had with Brent and Ratliff, they will not touch this guy.

Officially take him off the Cowboys board
  10. IAmLegend

IAmLegend Well-Known Member

3,097 Messages
    758 Likes Received
    Jerry will trade up to get him.
  11. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

7,728 Messages
    670 Likes Received
    If I was entering the draft, not sure I w would leave the house
    What a morom
  12. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

20,785 Messages
    7,147 Likes Received
    I almost took him myself.

This is a special brand of stupidity.
  13. Vintage

Vintage The Cult of Jib

13,039 Messages
    731 Likes Received
    Now, he is lock to Dallas.... Lol.
  14. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

2,954 Messages
    554 Likes Received
    Hopefully he falls to us in the 2nd round. Id snatch him up in a heartbeat.
  15. Risen Star

20,785 Messages
    7,147 Likes Received
    I probably would too. I might still take him in the 1st round. I'm seduced by the talent.

It comes down to sitting him down and letting him explain himself in the interview. If you walk away feeling good about it, he should be on the board where his talent warrants. Which is top 20 overall, IMO.

If he comes across as a complete knucklehead, he's not worth the trouble.

I don't think you can make that kind of call from the outside looking in as a fan. You don't know the person. You only know the player.
  16. Risen Star

20,785 Messages
    7,147 Likes Received
    I'd imagine I'm in the minority on Ogletree though. I bet most fans want no part of him now. They'd probably freak out if we took him at 18.
  17. AsthmaField

AsthmaField Outta bounds

10,361 Messages
    1,588 Likes Received

I would take him if he fell. He is very talented. However, the main reason I wouldn't want to take him at 18 is because of the scheme we're playing more than his recent DUI arrest (although that doesn't help).

The LB's aren't the difference makers in a 43 defense, it's the DL that makes the big money and warrants high picks. Jimmy Johnson always found his OLB's in the 2nd and 3rd round.

If we were set on the DL with playmakers at both ends and at the 3 tech, then sure... however, with a draft so full of very good DT's and us needing some, I just can't see going LB in round 1.

If Ogletree fell out of the first though, I would try to get him.
  18. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

2,954 Messages
    554 Likes Received
    I wish more people would have this approach. Not the typical "omg he's such an idiot and 100% off of our board" reaction. Are we going to really act like non of us have left a bar above the legal limit. Not saying it wasn't dumb, but its also pretty dumb to write him off all together just because of this.
  19. Avery

Avery The Dog that Saved Charleston

7,857 Messages
    359 Likes Received
    I'm concerned about this as he was also suspended for the first four games this year due to a failed drug test. This guy has got to get his demons in check.
  20. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,139 Messages
    1,123 Likes Received
    First rounder needs to be a homerun IMO. Second rounder a double. You wanna spend Saturday nights wondering what this guy is doing? I doubt the coaching staff does. At this point he hasnt proven smart enough to come in out of the rain.