1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Alec Ogletree charged with DUI

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by RS12, Feb 16, 2013.

1. dexternjack

dexternjack World Traveler Zone Supporter

6,198 Messages
    1,886 Likes Received
    I want no part of anyone named Ogletree ever again :laugh1:
  2. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,579 Messages
    516 Likes Received
    As long as he still goes in the top 17 I'm happy.
  3. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

3,064 Messages
    649 Likes Received
    What he spends his Saturday nights doing is none of my business honestly. As long as he shows up on Sunday and plays hard I'm fine with it. The kid has an immense amount of talent and I'm not willing to write him off on 1 or 2 minor incidents that the vast majority of the population has done. Like Risen said, sit and talk to him and get a real judge of what his character is. If then, you don't feel comfortable then of course don't draft him.
  4. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,139 Messages
    1,112 Likes Received
    The idea that driving while drunk is a "minor incident" after what happened this year is comedic.
  5. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

3,064 Messages
    649 Likes Received

Every single adult who drinks has left a bar/house/whatever above the legal BAC level probably several times in their lives. Its just a fact of life. Im not condoning it or saying its not stupid, but its not something to write someone off as a football player about either. According to this board 75% of college kids don't ever deserve to be on the Cowboys because they smoked pot or drove drunk while in college.

What happened with Brent is no doubt extremely unfortunate, but you can't group every person into that same category. Different circumstances and different people.
  6. Shinywalrus

Shinywalrus Active Member

1,740 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    That may be true, but if you're running a business, you have to manage perception as well.
  7. CowboyMcCoy

CowboyMcCoy Business is a Boomin

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    Obligatory: Git er done, Jerry!
  8. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,045 Messages
    1,919 Likes Received
    My concerns with Ogletree are based on his size. He's 230 and change and he's probably not going to get much bigger. He's going to have to play in the right scheme.
  9. AsthmaField

AsthmaField Outta bounds

11,168 Messages
    2,743 Likes Received

Luckily, this scheme is one where his size would be just fine.
  10. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

21,652 Messages
    1,399 Likes Received
    Do you really think the vast majority of the population has been charged with a DUI? I don't. There are roughly 900,000 DUI/DWI arrests per year. That is 0.3% of the U.S. population. It is estimated that 1/3 of them are repeat offenders.

Surely the number of people who have had a drink or two or perhaps have a B.A.C. over the legal limit is much higher than the 900,000 that get arrested each year, but I still doubt it is the vast majority of the population.

If your views are true that a vast majority of the population has done the same thing, then he really should be judged harshly because he was dumb enough to get caught while as I already have shown, a relatively small percentage of the people get DUI/DWIs each year. Of course that is me being very cynical in viewing this situation. This is going to have an impact on his draft status. How much? That is yet to be determined, but it will matter.
  11. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

3,064 Messages
    649 Likes Received
    No of course not the majority of people have gotten DUIs, but the vast majority do drive drunk or above the legal BAC level. As you said, he just happened to get caught. We don't know all the details so who knows. If he was swerving and unable to control his vehicle that's one thing, but if it was simething as simple as not using a blinker and the cop smelled alcohol its a different story. Either way it was dumb, I'm not arguing that. I just don't get the staunch "No way we should draft him now" views. It's just a little extreme in my opinion.
  12. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

21,652 Messages
    1,399 Likes Received
    I don't agree with that, either. I think a significant number of people do "drink and drive", but I don't think it is a vast majority of people or even a slight majority of people.

In a normal season, I think you would be correct about the "No way we should draft him now" viewpoint being a bit extreme. Considering the season Dallas just had with two of its players getting in alcohol related car wrecks changes the dynamics and pushes them into the position of possibly having to avoid a player who just got a DUI.
  13. Muhast

Muhast Newo

7,472 Messages
    174 Likes Received

I'm an UGA fan, I'd absolutely love to have him on our team. He was originally a safety at GA, and moved to 3-4 ILB to take advantage of his size and athleticism(we also had Bacarri Rambo/Shaun Williams at Safety so didn't need him there) I am not thrilled about him getting a DUI so close to the draft. Incredibly dumb, but he has some serious talent.