1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Alex Albright on Brown-Brent tragedy: ‘We’re just trying to handle it the best we can

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Dec 9, 2012.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

64,867 Messages
    3,805 Likes Received
    By Rainer Sabin / Reporter
    rsabin@dallasnews.com
    8:30 pm on December 8, 2012 | Permalink

CINCINNATI — Cowboys outside linebacker Alex Albright said the team is trying to remain “focused” in wake of the car accident that killed practice squad linebacker Jerry Brown and led to the arrest of nose tackle Josh Brent on the charge of intoxicated manslaughter. Dallas will play Cincinnati on Sunday and the players are still trying to process the events that transpired.

“It’s too soon to talk about it,” Albright said in the lobby of the team hotel.

Albright said he and his teammates are trying to steady themselves after the terrible news they received this morning.

But Albright admitted that it won’t be easy to forget about a tragedy that sent shockwaves through the organization and the NFL.

“You can’t really describe it. It’s difficult,” he said. “You never expect anything like this to happen and then it does, we don’t really have any experience with this and we’re just trying to handle it the best we can.”

Read the rest: http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/2...ust-trying-to-handle-it-the-best-we-can.html/
  2. RoyTheHammer

RoyTheHammer Well-Known Member

13,741 Messages
    663 Likes Received
    Please.. if there are any media members out there with even a shred of intergrity.. shut the hell up about what happened. Its not something that needs to be asked about and broadcasted all over the place. Let the grieving parties deal with this in peace and allow them the privacy they deserve in this terrible time.
  3. WoodysGirl

64,867 Messages
    3,805 Likes Received
    Well, the Cowboys made all coaches and players unavailable for comment yesterday. Albright and Coach Robinson chose to speak on their own last night.
  4. RoyTheHammer

13,741 Messages
    663 Likes Received
    Sounds to me like they were pestering him in the hotel lobby about it and he said it was too soon to talk about it and they kept hounding him with questions.
  5. Dave_in-NC

Dave_in-NC Well-Known Member

10,879 Messages
    41 Likes Received
    What a rough day this is going to be for this team. I can't even imagine going to work a day after news like this.

Teams are a family, this one has lost two in one swoop in a way.
  6. WoodysGirl

64,867 Messages
    3,805 Likes Received
    I don't believe that's how things played out, at all.

Because from what I gather, when the team showed up at the hotel, the players were completely silent when they arrived. Didn't look at the media or fans upon their arrival.

I think a few players came down later to sign autographs for fans and Albright was one of them. He made himself available to the media. He didn't have to and they had pretty much respected the Cowboys wishes to that point.

Also, if you read the other article I posted, you'll see the sequence of events of that day for the players: http://cowboyszone.com/forums/dallascowboys.php?t=248772
  7. IAMKING

IAMKING Benched

1,253 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Sounds to me like somebody jumped to conclusions.
  8. RoyTheHammer

13,741 Messages
    663 Likes Received
    Not really if you've ever been around "journalists"..
  9. RoyTheHammer

13,741 Messages
    663 Likes Received
    Well its clear he said it was too soon to talk about the incident.. and then he was further questioned about the incident.

Take that however you want it i guess.
  10. WoodysGirl

64,867 Messages
    3,805 Likes Received
    Or I can take it like you did and think the media is some nemesis in asking a few questions for the few players who made themselves available..

SMH
  11. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    as far as 95% of the mediots are concerned I would not stop to pee on one of them if he was laying on the ground on fire
  12. RoyTheHammer

13,741 Messages
    663 Likes Received
    No one "made themselves available".. read your own article that you asked me to read.

There were a few players "mingling" in the hotel lobby and the mediots just happened to wander over to them and ask them questions about the incident. Upon them asking, Albright said it was too soon to talk about it, and then they further questioned him about it, leading to him giving them the little PC answer.

Its just stupid that any player or coach should have to field a single question about the incident.. leave it alone. Its not something to be publicized right now.

Shake your head some more though.. maybe you'll get the cobwebs out.
  13. WoodysGirl

64,867 Messages
    3,805 Likes Received
    First of all, I'm not going to take that insult personally, because this exchange isn't that serious. But my head is quite clear, thank you for asking.

As I said and will continue to believe, it wasn't some conspiracy by the media to invade the few players privacy by asking their thoughts. Albright made himself available for a few questions. He responded and that was it. I don't think he suffered much from offering a statement, do you?

But yes, let's get mad at the media... Evil demons for trying to do their job.
  14. Howardlittleton64

Howardlittleton64 Benched

664 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    It's news and their job. Give me a break.
  15. RoyTheHammer

13,741 Messages
    663 Likes Received
    I didn't ask you anything..but you're right, its not worth arguing about. No one made themselves avaiable to the media in any official question and answer or interview session though. A reporter saw Albright mingling in the lobby and decided to go badger him with questions about the incident and kept at it even after Albright said it was too soon to comment. Its pretty clear.

Its also clear, to me, that questions about an incident like this shouldn't even be asked in the first place. Its a private issue and a tragedy.. not something somebody should be going around looking for a quote on. I know its their job to report the "news", but have a little decency.

If it was your friend who had just tragically died in an accident like this not 24 hours ago and your other friend was in jail for manslaughter, i wouldn't rush up to you and go, "Hey, HEY WOODYSGIRL.. so yea, what do you think about your friend being dead now and your other friend being a murderer, huh.. HUH?!"

You disagree? That's cool.. no more to discuss then.
  16. WoodysGirl

64,867 Messages
    3,805 Likes Received
    As a lay person off the street, of course you say you wouldn't ask, tho who knows what you would actually do in private conversation.

But you don't work in the media, so while it might be unpleasant to do, it's their job. If there's an opportunity to speak to someone post-tragedy, it's their duty to do it or lose their job.
  17. RoyTheHammer

13,741 Messages
    663 Likes Received
    So if i identified myself as "media", you'd be more accepting of me rushing up and asking you that question.. hours after it happened?
  18. WoodysGirl

64,867 Messages
    3,805 Likes Received
    I'd be accepting of it regardless. My position is if the player didn't want to respond to the initial inquiry, all he had to do was say, "No comment."

Even in private conversation, when I've had something emotional going on and someone inquired, once I said I didn't want to talk about it, that was the end of it.

Under these circumstances, the media would've accepted it without question and no follow-up. My assumption is based on the overall story and following twitter all day yesterday. They accepted the Cowboys statement and all reported that the Cowboys were not making any players or coaches available for a media session.
  19. RoyTheHammer

13,741 Messages
    663 Likes Received
    Sadly, that wasn't the end of it here. Its a direct quote from Albright that he said, "Its too soon to talk about it."

Yet more questions were asked of him about it.

Now, you say you'd be accepting of me coming up and asking you that question hours after it happened to your close friends. Somehow i don't think you'd be as accepting if it had actually happened to you, but even if you were the patient and understanding type and were actually accepting of the question.. it doesn't make it right for me to ask it. As a human being, i should have more common sense and decency than to come and ask you a question like that hours after it has affected you in such an emotional and big way.
  20. WoodysGirl

64,867 Messages
    3,805 Likes Received
    I think you're grasping on to the "It's too soon part" and not seeing that Albright had an extensive interview.

He's quoted in about three different articles all over the place. Obviously he didn't mind talking about it.

As I stated before, one can ask, but it doesn't mean I have to answer. So you can ask, "WG, how are you doing? Are you ok? Do you want to talk about it?' If say I don't want to talk about it, then that's the end of it for me.