1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Alex Tanney released by Cleveland

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by bb721, May 13, 2014.

1. bb721

bb721 Member

86 Messages
    48 Likes Received
    We liked him enough to stash him on the practice squad last year, does anyone think we bring him back in for another look?
  2. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

8,829 Messages
    3,830 Likes Received
    please no.
  3. RXP

RXP Well-Known Member

2,509 Messages
    747 Likes Received
    Is there some garbage cans around Valley Ranch he can throw into? Maybe he can hit a moving pickup going 30 mph from Jerry's perch on the practice field.

As for playng QB though, it doesn't look like he has it to me. Drew Henson redux.
    Zordon likes this.
  4. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Well-Known Member

2,871 Messages
    1,082 Likes Received
    I'd bring him in if they feel they need another camp QB.
  5. Vanilla2

Vanilla2 Well-Known Member

1,270 Messages
    494 Likes Received
    Does this mean I get to watch more trick throw videos?
    dstovall5 likes this.
  6. KDM256

KDM256 Active Member

382 Messages
    83 Likes Received
    Dont understand the love fest for Tanney?? Do you guys really think Tanney is a starting QB inthe NFL???
    Zordon likes this.
  7. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

24,138 Messages
    4,410 Likes Received
    I cannot believe there is another thread discussing this.
    Zordon likes this.
  8. gimmesix

gimmesix Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life

8,764 Messages
    538 Likes Received
    I would, too. I liked some of the potential he showed. Nothing wrong with letting him compete. Not sure he's any worse than Weeden.
  9. bb721

bb721 Member

86 Messages
    48 Likes Received
    The question I was asking was only do you THINK they will bring him back in now that he is available, they obviously liked him last year. I was not suggesting that they should, or that he has the talent to start in this league.
  10. adamknite

adamknite Well-Known Member

3,826 Messages
    56 Likes Received
    I wouldn't be against the idea of bringing him in again to see if he developed a better feel for the game with another year under his belt (as I was really starting to like him at one point), but I really think he had his shot last preseason and blew it. You don't get many opportunities like that and when you do, you can't go out and perform the way he did and expect many more chances.
  11. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,182 Messages
    757 Likes Received
    At worst he would give them an accurate arm for camp and preseason to better evaluate the later depth wrs.
    casmith07 likes this.
  12. SDCowboy85

SDCowboy85 Well-Known Member

14,600 Messages
    1,052 Likes Received
    To serve....what purpose, exactly?
  13. 12+88=7

12+88=7 Member

32 Messages
    16 Likes Received
    Cleveland had no QB and he didn't even get a look.

Dallas has Romo, Orton, and Weeden.

Tanney has a zero chance of making the team. PASS.
  14. starfrombirth

starfrombirth Well-Known Member

3,762 Messages
    399 Likes Received
    I actually expected it earlier :D I was all for keeping him last year as developmental insurance but it's become obvious to me that he just doesn't have it.
  15. KJJ

KJJ You Have an Axe to Grind

10,483 Messages
    741 Likes Received
    It was pretty funny how many on this board drooled over Tanney last summer after watching this trick shot video. One FAN was so impressed by the video that probably took Tanney over 500 takes to complete that he proclaimed him as the Cowboys next franchise QB. :rolleyes:

16. BAT

BAT Mr. Fixit

7,115 Messages
    254 Likes Received
    He does already know the system and the playbook. He played for Garrett and for Norv. The guy would be competing for the 4th string reps, what could it hurt, especially in TC and preseason where you try to save the wear and tear on your real QBs? I don't understand the pain, or the love, Tanney attracts on this board.
  17. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

13,991 Messages
    1,023 Likes Received
    Already have their cast off QB on the roster.
  18. jobberone

jobberone Orangutans make great guitarists Staff Member

35,881 Messages
    3,014 Likes Received
    Not a thing wrong with asking. He has the arm of an NFL QB but its the mental makeup that matters. He may be too far behind in the learning curve and/or not have it between the ears. I like his arm, release and accuracy. But it's one thing to accurately throw the ball at cans and in practice and another in a game. They see something in him but I don't have any idea if its enough.
  19. guag

guag Right Kind of Guy

5,248 Messages
    755 Likes Received
    Do I even need to say what's wrong with the following sequence of images from that video?

[IMG]

[IMG]

These videos would be a lot more impressive if there weren't 500 takes for each throw :rolleyes:
    dogunwo likes this.
  20. KJJ

KJJ You Have an Axe to Grind

10,483 Messages
    741 Likes Received
    You won't find any trick shot vids where it didn't take a bunch of takes to pull off some of those. I've seen some pretty impressive basketball trick shots but it's not like any of those guys would have a prayer making it in the NBA.
    guag likes this.