1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Featured ALL 22 - Offensive drive reviews - Long

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by McLovin, Oct 2, 2013.

1. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,656 Messages
    2,029 Likes Received
    Well, I'm not a fan of our offensive design in general. And yes, the pace could have been better.
  2. 187beatdown

187beatdown Lack of Big Plays

3,551 Messages
    438 Likes Received
    Do wanna actually post reasons you think this instead of trolling?
  3. dexternjack

dexternjack World Traveler Zone Supporter

5,786 Messages
    1,621 Likes Received
    I think the main gripe is the lack of urgency that was used for that drive. It appeared no different than the rest while needing two scores in 6 minutes. It could have worked out, SD was mostly in prevent allowing for short, quick strikes to move up the field. I think the deep ball there would have been risky and we might have seen a stick-figured Romo in a noose all over the internet Monday. It did take a bit longer than necessary IMO against that situational defense but Romo had them there with a chance to get within three with their time-outs left. Would the defense have held them to give us that chance? We will never know.....
  4. McLovin

McLovin Well-Known Member

3,318 Messages
    1,124 Likes Received
    Urgency is gripe #1. But Romo did go deep twice on that drive -Both to Witten doubled - 1 PI or 25 yards, 1 incompletion in end zone. Dez, TWll and Harris had better covereage in a few plays on that drive but didn't get the 15-20yrd throw.

Also, it seems like they conceded 2 drives and use all TOs on SD possesson. If you can score wth 3:30 left it make SD play differently. We may never gotten the ball back, but maybe saved a TO/2min warning when wegot the ball back. When down 2 scores, more timeis > less time
  5. 5Stars

5Stars Here comes the Sun...

26,141 Messages
    1,461 Likes Received
    AmberBeer, TheXFactor and rocyaice like this.
  6. dexternjack

dexternjack World Traveler Zone Supporter

5,786 Messages
    1,621 Likes Received
    Ahh, I missed that PI to Witten then. Had to go on a beer run :)

Agree that 2 mins might not have been enough time, one first down was all that would have been needed.
  7. McLovin

3,318 Messages
    1,124 Likes Received
    This ^. I see the propenciy for stop and out/sideline routes so that seems to be the play/scheme design. Then I see Romo quickly check down under little duress and it seems to exacebate it. So I dont know how much is Romo's preference vs overall scheme/pilosophy/coaching. Safeties are starting to creep up as they keep the 10 yard routes as a go to
  8. 5Stars

26,141 Messages
    1,461 Likes Received
    The Cowboys did not seem to have the urgency to think like, say, needing a field goal to tie or win a game. I've seen this team go down the field in short order on occasions like that, but this time they seemed to just play at a normal pace, which is not good, 3 timeouts or not. Even if they had scored, they most likely lose the game unless they recover an onside kick, which I doubt they would have tried.

But, one thing that I cannot understand and maybe someone will explain it to me, but why do the Cowboys have to make a play call from upstairs, down to the QB coach,, then have to relay that to the QB?! Stupid! That takes time, time that is needed to get as fast to the goalline as possible. Why the middle man?
  9. rocyaice

rocyaice Well-Known Member

6,151 Messages
    655 Likes Received
  10. 5Stars

26,141 Messages
    1,461 Likes Received
    Maybe he will learn to not write a check he cannot cash! But, he's a boy, so I give him a break.

:D
  11. rocyaice

rocyaice Well-Known Member

6,151 Messages
    655 Likes Received
    OH is he a child? That explains his trolling.
  12. 5Stars

26,141 Messages
    1,461 Likes Received
    He's an Anti-Romo stan.

:D
  13. tecolote

tecolote Well-Known Member

1,789 Messages
    552 Likes Received
    I am talking about the pace of the drive, it was too casual. And on top of that they call a pass play to the middle of the field on the fumble and not to the end zone. Even if Williams hadn't fumbled they would've lost a lot of time there or quite possibly a timeout.

The whole thing was stupid. This is a dumb team.
  14. diehard2294

diehard2294 America's Team

4,561 Messages
    443 Likes Received
    This offense is designed to keep Romo's ball security and turnovers down...hence the boring offense

He really hasn't rolled out much from pressure like he has in years past with good success
  15. 5Stars

26,141 Messages
    1,461 Likes Received
    Well, it sure looks boring to me also, but at least Romo is not the one losing the last two games. There are 12 games left, and if Romo and the team can jell and keep the INT's down, play within themselves like they have done, they may have a chance at the end of the season. The Cowboys look sloppy on both sides of the ball right now, but they could have won both games they lost...they did not get blown out.

Penalties seem to be down so far, but the fumbles are not looking good. And, there have been some good take away's, hopefully more to come.

It's not a race, it's a marathon.
  16. Oh_Canada

Oh_Canada Well-Known Member

5,834 Messages
    434 Likes Received
    Great post, appreciate the OP taking time to write it up.

The offense is sloppy, conservative and unable to take advantages of matchups. Romo needs to start throwing to Dez regardless of coverage.

Defense is inconsistent to say the least.
  17. ScipioCowboy

ScipioCowboy More than meets the eye. Zone Supporter

14,833 Messages
    2,045 Likes Received
    Thanks for the analysis, McLovin. It's appreciated.
  18. McLovin

3,318 Messages
    1,124 Likes Received
    Below is Play #2 resulting in a 4 yard sack. Hanna is upper left most cowboy that started the play where Romo is at the LOS. Witten had the DL and LB now free to get to Romo. TWill has passed the safety and is 1-1 with CB. Stll seems there was no need for a sack, but the Hanna usage is strange to me
    [IMG]
    another view
    [IMG]
    Here is SD first play. Rivers goes deep and throws into coverage, but just misses a completion as it is underthrown.
    [IMG]
    Carr knocks it down [IMG]
    Dallas has 2nd and 14 and SD is 2nd and 10. The defense fo Dallas now knows Rivers will take a shot even with single high dep safety. I think this play opened up undereath later on and then that opened deep passes to Royal and Gates.

In any event I think ROmo should have thrown the ball deep away at the very least
  19. diehard2294

diehard2294 America's Team

4,561 Messages
    443 Likes Received
    I thought on that first play Dez should have sat in the open area instead of continuing his route across the field
  20. McLovin

3,318 Messages
    1,124 Likes Received
    It would have been a throw across the body...probably a litle risky. the loft to Witten or Dz would have worked better han a sack.

The killer would be for TWill to break to the post as he crossed the safety