1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Featured ALL 22 - Offensive drive reviews - Long

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by McLovin, Oct 2, 2013.

1. Jenky

Jenky Well-Known Member

2,957 Messages
    387 Likes Received
    We fumbled with 2:50 left.

You may think that's a lot of time left. We got the ball with 6:54 remaining in the 4th and it took us 4 minutes to drive the length with no huddle.

Even if we score, SD gets the ball back and milks more time off of the clock. With the way they were passing on our defense, it wouldn't look good for us.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/20130...enu=highlights&tab=analyze&analyze=playbyplay
  2. diehard2294

diehard2294 America's Team

4,409 Messages
    337 Likes Received
    Yea I know what your saying and I don't think Romo even looked at him there..
  3. diehard2294

diehard2294 America's Team

4,409 Messages
    337 Likes Received
    BTW thanks for putting the time in to do this
  4. jblaze2004

jblaze2004 Well-Known Member

8,355 Messages
    283 Likes Received
    sounds like twill was getting open alot more.
  5. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

8,906 Messages
    3,975 Likes Received
  6. dallasdave

dallasdave Well-Known Member

2,656 Messages
    325 Likes Received
    Good point.
  7. Nunez21

Nunez21 Active Member

244 Messages
    44 Likes Received
    He's open quite often. Once the rookie mistakes are gone he will be really good.
  8. dexternjack

dexternjack World Traveler Zone Supporter

5,489 Messages
    1,467 Likes Received
    Agree, he was thrown directly into the fire. This is good experience for him and I hope it pays dividends later in the season. He is trying out there, that is all I can ask at this point.
  9. McLovin

McLovin Well-Known Member

3,194 Messages
    1,013 Likes Received
    He is open in part because teams are locking on dez and witten and giving him 1-1 more. Romo needs to show he will go to him deep. That will help others
  10. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,043 Messages
    1,048 Likes Received
    LOL! At the people clinging to fantasy that if Terrence Williams doesnt fumble they were going to somehow pull this game out and I dont care if Dallas had 15 timeouts left. Odds are long for recovering an onside kick. So logically speaking you think that after allowing the Chargers to parade up and down the field to the tune of 500 yards, suddenly when the defense needed a three and out they were going to get one? Oh OK.
    Corso likes this.
  11. CowboyFan4Eva

CowboyFan4Eva Active Member

561 Messages
    227 Likes Received
    Different coaches , different schemes. Same results.

I think romo is a player first. Meaning, romo could've played anywhere and been successful. Kind of like favre.....he doesn't do as well when it comes to executing a well thought out "scheme". Like.....manning, Montana, and some others.....that's not romos strength,

Take Brady. Brady is a scheme guy. Without a solid scheme, which he has had all these years, Brady goes down hard.....

A though i think romo can run a scheme, proven he can,,,,,,he isn't the "best" at it......

Which. Is a problem. He is getting older......... Dont get me wrong. Romo is an awesome awesome.......player....
  12. CowboyFan4Eva

CowboyFan4Eva Active Member

561 Messages
    227 Likes Received

Falcons got an onside on that same day,it does.happen.......
  13. dware94

dware94 Member

104 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    If they aren't going to use Hanna in the passing game, it makes you wonder why they dont use Andre Smith instead. We all know Hanna is not known for his blocking ability, but yet thats all he really does.
  14. TheXFactor

TheXFactor Active Member

488 Messages
    157 Likes Received
    I understand what you're saying and you're right they did get down the field. But the point is that they took too long between plays. If we had run all the exact same plays on that drive but with more urgency (getting to the line faster like a real hurry up offense) they could've saved 45 seconds or so from ticking off the clock. You're point about them successfully getting the ball down the field is correct and I agree the play calling was Ok on that drive but they need to be getting to the line quicker and speed up their tempo (side note : they should be doing this more often, not just in end of game/half situations but that's a discussion for a different time)
  15. TheXFactor

TheXFactor Active Member

488 Messages
    157 Likes Received
  16. jimnabby

jimnabby Well-Known Member

3,600 Messages
    435 Likes Received
    Would you prefer we take 30 seconds to not drive the length of the field and instead punt or turn it over on downs?
    That's true whether we leave them 2:30 or 4:30 on the clock. The odds were heavily against us no matter how we played it there.
  17. AmberBeer

AmberBeer Benched

2,996 Messages
    1,046 Likes Received
    This would be much more credible if the penalties were added.
  18. Jenky

Jenky Well-Known Member

2,957 Messages
    387 Likes Received
    No I would have preferred to take shots downfield and score on a deep ball. That would take a minute or even less off the clock. This is the point the OP was trying to make.

Other teams show a sense of urgency in critical moments like this. They know it's a 2 score game, so they have to score as quickly as possible. The other team will always want to milk the clock.
  19. jimnabby

jimnabby Well-Known Member

3,600 Messages
    435 Likes Received
    And I want a pony.
    In those situations, the defense is set specifically to deny shots downfield. Absent a major defensive breakdown, taking all those shots is far far more likely to result in a turnover (or a four-and-out) than a touchdown.
  20. ChldsPlay

ChldsPlay Well-Known Member

6,130 Messages
    320 Likes Received
    You do realize that when teams try to run out the clock, which means running the football, which means Phillip Rivers not throwing all over the defense...right? I've seen plenty of times a team move the ball well through the air and then try to run out the clock and get stuffed and give the other team a chance.